Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting a roller trailer to a bunk trailer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting a roller trailer to a bunk trailer?

I've seen a few guys post up about converting their trailers from rollers to bunks. I'm interested in doing this and wondering if there are any good how to's out there? I searched on this forum but nothing really had a step by step...I'm a picture guy and work well off of an image rather than paragraphs.

I had a bunk trailer under mine when i first got it and it was such a pain to launch and get centered. Many an argument with the GF and I started this way. I now have it sitting on a dual axle ez-loader with rollers and love it. It self centers and there are a ton of rollers supporting the hull. If you are determined to switch over Six Roblees has most of what you need as far as brackets, and if you launch and retrieve your boat on a regular basis short handed and/or want to speak to your wife that night get the centering guides.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm not a fan of the rollers due to the single point contact at each roller. Seems like unnecessary stress whereas a bunk evenly distributes the point of contact on the hull. I understand rollers have been around a long time however most companies have long switched to the bunk system for this reason.

Comment

The debate between rollers and bunks has been going on for ages... Trailer manufactures build what the public wants, and each has had their respective moments of favor over the years...

Like you I hate roller trailers cause I have seen first hand the damage to a bottom they can cause over years of trailer storage... I looked in converting my old EZ-Loader to bunks but it was just too much engineering so we opted to go out and buy a used bunk trailer and modify it to fit out Chris Craft (the thread with some photos of our work can be found here: http://www.classicboatclub.com/forum...26/#post-15424)

I would suggest looking on craigslist for a bunk trailer to use as your base as most roller trailers do not have sufficient framework to support bunks...
        Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
        1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

I've been keeping an eye out on CL, but I'm moving the roller/bunk swap down the list of priority things to do to the boat. I need to manage my budget wisely and even though I don't like rollers, they're functional as is for now.
          Thanks for the link, your trailer looks good.

Comment

I have the experience of using a roller (1961 Sterling) trailer under a 20' Skagit Express for many years as well as a bunk (1958 Teenee) under a 14 Skagit Sportster.
            The 20 roller , has a fixed as opposed to swiveling, self centering cradle like newer trailers. It takes skill to get it exactly centered, as the keel has to be in the center keel rollers. That said, because of the fact that the rollers are all hard rubber, it's pretty easy to rock the boat if it's off center by 1 1/2 inches or so. Luckily, the spots where the rollers reside on the hull have very little evidence of indenting/hooks.
            When using the 14 trailer, the bunks are only in contact with 3' of the hull on each side, and since the boat is quite light, easy again to bounce the boat to get it centered.
            Just a heads up on the 14 Sportster- the Teenee is it's original trailer. When I acquired it, a previous owner had neglected it outdoors, causing a significant buildup of water- weight !!! The bottom had developed indentations (hooks) where the bunks were. The worse spot was a 1/2 inch indentation the length of the bunk( about 2 1/2 '), which I filled while the boat was upside down in the prep process with thickened epoxy to fair in.
            So my situations are specific to my particular boats. The idea of spreading the weight of a hull over the "footprint" of bunks makes sense to me, however, for a specific hull, new roller trailer designs assist in centering a boat with less effort.
            bruceb

Comment

I see what you're saying. I guess that's why the debate has been around for years and why companies still make both.

Going back to the original post, I stopped by West Marine the other day just to walk around and see what's happening. I saw the trailer section and the supports you buy for bunks. All in all, it doesn't look that cosmic nor expensive to swap out. The biggest thing I see is getting the height correct on all bunk areas. I figure once I do tackle it, I would measure where it currently sits with rollers and do the same with the bunks. It makes sense in my head but we'll see when it's time to apply that logic.

Comment

I converted my trailer to bunks and it was quite easy. The boat was left on and it would be easier with it off. First a 2X6 with bunk fabric was inserted in the are between the rollers. Snugging it up with 2x4s and wedges. Then I jacked up half the boat up with floor jacks until there was enough working room, 6" should work. Now raise the bunk and support it. This way I knew it would not come down on me. Take of the rollers and drill out to 9/16. Position the new bunk. and drill. Check to see if you can put the bunk in with the bolts in. Some will not, make adjustments or remove them. With the carriage bolts in attach bunk fabric and install on trailer.
                Attached Files

Comment

Awesome! I didn't even think to use the existing hardware... good idea!

Comment

Originally posted by 56glasspar, post: 26362, member: 39
                    I converted my trailer to bunks and it was quite easy. The boat was left on and it would be easier with it off. First a 2X6 with bunk fabric was inserted in the are between the rollers. Snugging it up with 2x4s and wedges. Then I jacked up half the boat up with floor jacks until there was enough working room, 6" should work. Now raise the bunk and support it. This way I knew it would not come down on me. Take of the rollers and drill out to 9/16. Position the new bunk. and drill. Check to see if you can put the bunk in with the bolts in. Some will not, make adjustments or remove them. With the carriage bolts in attach bunk fabric and install on trailer.
                    That has to be the simplest conversion I've ever seen... I never thought to use the roller racks that were already in place (of course mine where in really bad shape from sitting 32 years unused next to a lake)
                    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

I was looking at install only two bunks. Putting bunk brackets to where the roller racks were installed.

Comment

Yeah but you saved some coin doing it the way you did. How has it been working for you overall?

Comment

Working...
                        X