Question on paints

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on paints

After a bit of research I discovered that the boat was white with red interior and 2 small red stripes. Not a fan of the small stripes but we shall see. Anyway is there a good way to strip the yellow paint off or should I just primer over it. It isn't cracked or peeling just chalky. Not sure what the best paint would be and what you have had success with.
    Was thinking about going with a red, white, and blue color scheme something like the last picture with a couple of blue stripes either side of the red one.
    Attached Files

Well, if the paint isn't coming up, I would sand it real good and then primer over. That will also tell you if you sanded it good enough to get it all feathered out.
    They do make some paint removers.
    We used a Fesstool sander system with a vacuum system, hit the trigger on the sander and the vacuum came on pulling away 90+ percent of the dust.
    This can be done with pretty much any electric orbital sander (Porter Cable etc) and a 25 dollar switch from Sears that converts most any shop vac into one of the sander triggered systems.
    Only reason I went off this way as it seemed at one time, the cost and mess with the removers still required a bunch of sanding.
    Check the cost of the remover and sanding disks.
    Sorry, don't remember glass or wood. Some wood ones are ok as they will take it right down to the wood and then you have some for fiberglass that some of us have used called Peelaway. Its for Fiberglass but still, can't just walk away and forget it.
    In the older days, you always had to use a respirator but I think that is even changing.
    No matter what you do, keep everyone posted.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
    X