Experience with the 4.3 V-6?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experience with the 4.3 V-6?

I'm thinking that next year I will repower the Tournament Fisherman with a bit more power. Originally I was thinking about a pair of 327's but the 4.3 v-6 is nearly 300 lbs lighter per engine than the 3.0's and would give me an extra 80hp each. Of course the hot rodder in me wants a couple of v-8's and 600hp total but that adds a lot of weight and fuel consumption.
    Anyone have any experience with the 4.3's both good or bad?

I was told and had started looking into putting a turbo on one as a sleeper.
    Run her up, then click the boost button on.
    I did my drag boat days so I guess it depends on what you really want to do. If its going to be a tournament boat, you need fast so ???
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Just want a bit more power. I'd like to get her up to 35-40 mph or so, be able to take the family tubing and skiing. It's not a small boat just not sure if the 4cyl are enough.

Comment

The 4.3L Vortec is a really smooth motor (nearly bullet proof). They are fairly easy to convert for marine use (if you buy an automotive unit) otherwise the marine versions are pretty easy to find. I know my father has worked on a few and they are all pretty low maintenance. Only design flaw is in the intake manifolds, there is a pocket that holds water that will not drain by gravity so they are suseptable to freezing and internal cracking... There is a plug that can be removed and you just pump the water out (or run as fresh water cooling).

Lots of HP is great for top end but really in a boat you need to be concerned with torque, especially if you're trying to tow somebody. Also, keep in mind that ideally you want to be able to cruise at 3/4 or less throttle, otherwise you will run the motors to death in a very short time. Some of my father's best customers are the ones with trawlers that try to run them on plane to save time...
        Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
        1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Working...
        X