Rear bench seat...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear bench seat...

I'm trying to come up with a design for a rear bench seat for my Reinell Jetabout. Want to keep it stock looking, and have access to the space behind for gas tank and battery. So part of it has to be removable. The boat came with no interior at all...so no idea how it was from Reinell. Ideas ??????
    Thanks Steve
    Steve Tweit

1954 Mansfield..double cockpit runabout
    1955 Mansfield 17' express
    1960 Rynell Jetabout
    2007 Bxxxxxxx "daily driver"

I have almost the same issue with my Uniflite.
    My thinking now is I can follow the radius along the back and do what I call a Step and Jump seat combination. It can be made out of plywood with the step/seat being the same size as a throw cushion.
    I made this up and tested it with my 200 lbs by jumping up and down on it. Had to be safe for the customers.!!
    [ATTACH]15245[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]15247[/ATTACH]
    Attached Files
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Wow! Great idea and design. Cool and functional.
      1958 Dorsett Farallon
      1959 Bellboy Ballerina

Comment

Originally posted by Chelan, post: 26882, member: 183
        Wow! Great idea and design. Cool and functional.
        Agreed, the best concept that I've seen. I'd go with this on my boat but I'd have to cut into the original shape on the interior walls...not a fan of that.

For my Uniflite, I was thinking a small bench that contours the back wall slightly. Not too deep but still comfortable enough to hold two butts. The main thing is it needs to be removable, but when installed, secured tightly for safety. I was pondering a quick release system similar to a race hood concept. Pull the pins, remove the seats, stow the pins out of the way. Two pin/releases on the floor, one on each side of the seat.

It makes sense in my head

Comment

I've been through this same battle. Full length bench? Removable? Fold up? I ended up going with Deck Mate. They make a nice 3 seat combo that is basically two high back fishing seats and a low back seat. looks really nice and doesn't cost much. I plan on rigging them so they can be folded up instead of down, to allow more room for fishing and rear access.

http://www.boatseatstore.com/Boat-Bench-Seats-C59.aspx

Another option are the bench seats found on Overtons.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...t&merchID=4005

Full length, not quite as fancy, but still functional. I really like Helmar's seats but that design doesn't work on my boat.
          John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
          Past Affairs:
          '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

I am not sure about those seats or where they are manufactured but they look a little too fluffy and would take up too much room in the Uniflite.
            I need something in the back as I "can" step in onto. I have a step stool but there is possibility of falling off of that thing too.
            Mine also has that fiberglass apron all the way around and its just cosmetic.
            What is in my mind right now is to make a bench that goes all the way across the back, hinges on the the back as well that can fold up.
            On each side of the cockpit area I could come up with some kind of hardware that folds up and folds down. Like some of the short steps on a fire truck, flip it down to climb up into the hose lay or top were all the hose is folded in.
            If I have fishing going on or need that extra room, I fold the two hardware steps down, then fold the bench seat down. I still have several 3/4" x 1" x 6' oak pieces that I could use as the front lip as well as a stiffener. Might not need the middle fold down leg.

I have the Mahogany that I can rebuild the whole helm as well as the cabin door but don't want to get nuts with all of that on this boat.
            I can just paint the rear bench and use two throw cushions for passengers.
            Maybe I will just do some trim work with the Mahogany. I have plenty of that up in Quilcene where I would do this work.
            Right now, the boat is down here with me close to Veneta / Eugene were I was going to try a few places that I might try to put on a boating event.

I Still need to run the Multnomah Channel to see how long that is going to take. I would like to make that channel plus up to the Willamette to the Oregon City Falls. Maybe a two day event.
            Got to find lodging and camping combined.
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

The Deckmate ones are made here in the US. They are what I got for the 404. They are about as big as your average fishing seat. They are firm, which is good. I didn't like they way the ones at Overton's looked. They come off as cheap, not to mention awful colors.

The other part I like about them is that there are various widths you can get to narrow or lengthen the fit.

I think we are on the same page, Helmar, in wanting the most versatility we can get out of these small boats.
              John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
              Past Affairs:
              '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Working...
              X