On R Way !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On R Way !

It looks like the temps will be up for this coming week but wet , but i will be able to work in the shelter! The final color combinations for my Skagit will be burgundy with grey accent stripe on the lower part of the cabin roof and onto the white hull below the new black rubrail area.Going away from the blue & white theme on this one.

The rugging inside the cabin is now burgundy and some grey carpeting inside the storage bin area's that i did yesterday. It only took about two hours to convert over from blue. Floor will be burgundy also.

Out in the cockpit area the wood side panels will be grey rugged and the upper part will be burgundy. I might install black carpeting ( already have it ) on the floor being the rubrail and VHF antenna will be black. I really don't think the black will be to hot in the summer, if so i will change the color out. The Skagit windshield frame will be burgundy or blackThe glove box ( old console, see last pic ) along with the dash console will be burgundy. New split porthole cabin bulkhead door will be made sometime this summer. The new seats came in Saturday.

All new gas lines being i have about 30' left over from past projects. Nothing like a good hose when you need it.This boat has 4 shut off gas lines valves ! Don't know why they would have so many. Oh well. There are two nearly new custom 21 gal saddle tanks plus a shut off value for a third tank that i will only use for a very long trip. The Iron Duke Chevy I/O i have been told is very good on gas which is great.It also has had work done on it in the past years along with the stern drive. Batteries are close to new. All and all the boat has had quite a bit of work done to it in the past 5 years. I will install a additional fuse box unit beside the one that is already there for the GPS ,VHF,etc. All the wiring thru out the boat was professionally replaced about 5 years ago as well. There will be some Sunbrella burgundy storage canvas bags. Bimini comes later on. Going out to work on it now before the winds pick up.[ATTACH]15364[/ATTACH]
    Attached Files
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Looking better every time you post Chuck !!.. Good Job!
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thanks Joe, I I would like to hold off on the cockpit until i paint the exterior of the boat with the burgundy color , but that means i would have to wait till late April as it will take about two weeks after the temps start going up.All i will have to do is mask off the cockpit side walls, dash,etc. Been there done that before. In the meantime i will reupholster ( never done that before ,but that should be interesting ) of the motor cover in photo, finish off the glove box and paint ,take the hatch off and paint it too and take all of the exterior hardware cleats,horn,etc to get ready for painting in April. So there is plenty to do before getting around to painting. I can paint ( burgundy will be here Tuesday ) the hatch and do other work in the garage in the meantime.After doing four other boats in blue and white it will be kind of fun to go back to the burgundy,grey and white theme being it's been eleven years since the last one. I did check with a friend on the burgundy color...no problem. This boat will not be quite the same anyway[ATTACH]15369[/ATTACH]
      Attached Files

Comment

Looks good, Chuck. Can't wait to see her on the water with you at the helm.

Regarding the engine cover, it should be fairly easy. If you have an electric staple gun, that is. If you don't have one, get one for the job. A tip I learned somewhere when we reupholstered the seats in the Marathon was to wrap the whole thing in plastic bags ahead of the vinyl. It provides a great seal against moisture. I would imagine that the cover could benefit from the same treatment if it is wood.
        John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
        Past Affairs:
        '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Right John, The vinyl is shot , but the wood is still in great condition. Will take the vinyl off along with the foam and repaint the wood before putting the new vinyl on.Will put three new hinges on instead only two being it is quite a distant across. I should be on the water before the end of May !

Comment

Excellent! That is similar to what we did. I had to replace the wood because it was the original and totally rotten. I painted and then wrapped. nice and dry!

Also, not sure why I said Chuck! I think I was just looking at that pink boat and thinking it was his.
            John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

I'am Chuck with the kind of pink boat. Chuck Lol[ATTACH]15376[/ATTACH]
              Attached Files

Comment

haha, i'm having a Monday I think.
                John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

That is a good shot of the boat, Chuck. One of the things that drew me to the Bell Boy over the Skagits was the brow over the cabin window. I really like the look. It reminds me of a chop hotrod or something. The Skagits that I had seen had the smooth transition. This one, however, has the same look to it. It looks great. Although I do think the windshield is a bit much for my taste.
                  John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

Personally i like both the brow and non brow on the Skagit's boats. So what would you do with the windshield if it was on a BB? ... throw it away ? LOL ! Just giving you a bad time. Skagit had 4-5 different styled windshields back in those days. I feel the Skagit's 1955-1958 had a Art Deco wrap around look with the cabin windows. Being i have had 6 or so 1957-58 Skagit's , i thought with the brow being different to me and getting a Chevy Iron Duke 4 banger I/O and the fact i had had more "low styled" custom windshields made up in the past on them and also going back to one of my favorite colors i liked from eleven years ago,this would be something different to me. Got to keep that interest level going forward or you will hang it up quickly and just stare out the window for the rest of your life at my age. My wife know she will be in big trouble if that happen. Now if i could find a 32 Duce that might be a different story as i was into 40 Fords at one time but came back to boats after doing my thing with them.

Comment

Well, Hows it going Chuck ? Still moving forward?
                      I forget, is yours the Offshore or express?
                      Helmar Joe Johanesen
                      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Joe, Will be going outside and keep taking things like the hatch off and some others items tomorrow. Have the new gas lines ready to go and will pressure wash the motor down with degreaser i just got , but will wait for the next few day being the temp is to going down some. Working on the motor as far as changing the 4 gas lines and reroute them ,change the filters , water hoses. etc that i have not done for about 25 years ago as it was on the last 40 Ford i had when i put the flathead motor back together.Just got the Burgundy paint in so i can paint the hatch and some other things in the garage. Yesterday went looking at new trailers. That will happen after the first of May or June. I have a lot other thing i have to do first to the boat. This one is a 1959 20' I/O Express.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X