Starting To see The Light....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting To see The Light....

i think..... This weekend i worked on filling in the canvas snap screw holes and a few other one's ( 43 all together ) as well for the windshield before sanding and painting it inside and out hopefully by next weekend. I also filled some screw holes in the stern and repaired the seam that go's across the transom. Then it will be sanding her one more time ! If the weather warms up anytime soon i will start painting or if not towards the end of April when it gets warmer i hope . Even with all of this rain it has not been bad working in the shelter as long as the temps stay up some. My wife mention that i do need to get a new pair of coveralls being i have about 1 zillion colors of paint from my former boats on them since 1995. Told her , why spend the money on a new pair when this is the last boat i plan to do.Her comeback was, "is this not the 5 hour boat ? " meaning i purchase this one only 5 hours after Skagit Bainbridge was down the road. ...Yea Right, she said ! Hummmm [ATTACH]15528[/ATTACH]
    Attached Files
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Yep, that is what they are supposed to look like when your working on them Looking good Chuck
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

I did mention that when Sheila was taking the pictures that the boat sure looks bad at this stage of me stripping it down and starting over trying to make it look better again. Sheila told me i always say that !

Comment

Lookin' good! What did you use to fill the holes?

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly, post: 27578, member: 2323
          Lookin' good! What did you use to fill the holes?

lnterlux ...great stuff. Above & below the waterline. Have been using it for years. Just mix equal parts A & B
          Attached Files

Comment

To fill smaller holes, I use Evercoat Lite which is available at most larger auto parts stores.
            To fill larger holes in fiberglass I use the Westsystem Epoxy resin 105 and the 205 hardener. I use it for wood, glass, pretty much anything I can.
            Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Since we're talking about it, what would you use on the keel to fill in scuffs? I figure the keel takes the most abuse, so what would hold up best for that?

Comment

On the hull, normally its scratched deep so I don't use the Evercoat Lite product. I use the WestSystem 105 epoxy resin and 205 hardener. I mix it with the silica gel that I forget which one (I remember it was the least expensive one they had).
                I mix it up into a peanut butter type mix or even a tad more to use like a filler. You had to have at least 70% fiberglass showing in order to use it for adding patches to the inside of the hull for tabs to hold the gas tanks or seats up against the sides for good adhesion.
                Use it sparingly as it grinder time to get it off..
                I used it to add a wooden block to the side of the boat to put on the engine controls too.
                Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Similar to Helmar, I use thickened resin. Vinylester with 3m beads, thickened to peanut butter like consistency. Rough the keel up to take the resin and then apply. Sand down when hardened.

I had to fill a LOT of these gouges on the 404 keel due to bad trailer alignment.
                  John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                  Past Affairs:
                  '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Good stuff! My keel is equally as bad I'm sure. I also have a few gouges here and there to fix as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X