Lots Done !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots Done !

Being the weather has been lousy this long holiday weekend, i have manage to get a lot of work done since last Wednesday, and seeing the board been kind of quiet i thought i would post some "before" and "after" picture's .Found some of my old burgundy bags along with three black bags that i can use on this boat. I put the black rug in after dinner tonight for the cockpit floor that i was going to use at one time on the Dorsett Saratoga. If it gets too warm, will switch it out. All of those control and wires going to the back will be wrap in carpet or put into a split 3" PVC pipe so they look a little better. I guess i did not make my deadline of the end of May , but should not be to much into June.
    Attached Files
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Looking good, Chuck! Amazing what a little finish work will accomplish. Also, I like your oar storage rack. Pretty neat! Wouldn't work on the 404, but I wish it would!
    John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
    Past Affairs:
    '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

John, I was real happy with the way that oar "former seat brace" came out and the pole on the other side as well. I use some of the vinyl i have left over from when i do the back engine cover that should be this week. Just spray the 3M 90 glue on and put a piece of the burgundy carpet inside. Today i plan on mounting the GPS/VHF radio. Getting down on things to finish like the rubrail and putting the Plexiglas back in the windshield frame that should be fun ! I did order two more seats as that color did not come out the way i thought it would like it did on another boat i had done in burgundy about 10 years ago. After having the Skagit 20 Offshore Bainbridge with that BIG cockpit that was 6 X 8 this 20 Express is just like the Dorsett Farallon i had with big cabin and small cockpit. This one i would say is on the scale of what a 17' Express Skagit is in cockpit area. Might measure GregJ Skagit. That "ice chest" is my storage unit for misc items and a step down into the boat as there is not a bench seat like the last one. At the dock i can just put it on one side or the other to get into it like i have done before.
      Attached Files

Comment

Those little items can be fun to do, unless there are too many of them! I have a laundry list of things to do before the launch in June. Hope I can get to all of them!
        John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

Hey Chuck-
          Looking very sharp, like the storage of the hook and oar. Also liking the clean engine appearance, you painted that too, I'm assuming !
          If you want to see the interior of a new '59 20 Express (outboard, built in fuel tanks) go to youtube and search "Sea Hunt season 3 episode 11". Well, think it was pretty new boat- 1962 episode....

Comment

John, That's the part i like is all of those little add-on things !

Bruce, How do you like my instant spray on chrome for the oil cap ? Still have a can of that stuff from doing the rubrail end caps from one of the boats in the past. Yea, i painted the engine as well as the battery compartment area's. I will get some canvas slip covers made for the two 12 gal "tall" gas tanks too.Going to put in a 4 way fuel switch so i can run the two 12 gal tanks and a extra 12 gal one for a real long cruise but for most cruise's the two 12' will do it. So all together i give up about 8 gal's compare to having two 21 gal tanks as i don't top them off anyway. Another reason i took them out is ,i like a little more elbow room on each side of the seats going to the hull and for storage. See before and after picture.Thanks for the SEA HUNT. It looks like in some shots ( around 10:35- 12:21 ) the rubrail was coming off and then back on later. Thanks again.
            Attached Files

Comment

Chuck, yes the little things are great. Small jobs that can be completed in an evening or two. Instant satisfaction!

I have to say, after all the headache for my tanks, I wish I had thought of running smaller tanks. Each tank in the 404 is 20 gallons, and like you, I don't plan on running them full unless I'm going for a long cruise to the San Juans or something. I don't like the look of the tanks up against the bulkhead but I sure can't fault the extra space you get! Next time.... :0
              John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

John, This is what i did ,i had custom made canvas covers for the tanks in the past. I'am big on canvas bags ! Will be getting burgundy done this time. Another reason for the gas tank forward is i have now shifted some of the weight to just about the middle of the boat. That's about 140 lb less.Take a look at my "cables in a roll " of carpeting that i overlap and spray with that 3M 90 Glue. Great smelling stuff !! ( No "ER" for me on that stuff ! ) To keep it straight , i placed the carpet roll on top of the old gas tank vent unit. Works every time. Will run a carpet PVC pipe down each side for the gas lines.
                Attached Files

Comment

Chuck, the carpet roll around the cables is brilliant! I wish I had seen that when I had the little performer, I lost count of how many times the lights quit or the throttle jammed cause someone packed too much stuff in under the gunwale...
                  Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                  1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Clever, Chuck. Most of my cables are hidden right now. I have some exposed stuff on the stbd side between the tank and the splashwell, but it will get covered in the near future when I install some wood paneling to mount the stereo speakers.
                    John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

Brian, The last boat i had ( Skagit Bainbridge ) already had the cables strung so i did not want to unhook them to put in a PVC 3" pipe ( i put carpeting on too ) like i had done in the past on some other boats. So i tried the wrap the carpet trick.....it work as far as staying together . Boy ! That glue sure smells good ! I wore my mask as i was thinking of the past "ER" trip. These are the little things i have lots of fun doing like the vinyl wrap around the old seat brackets and making it into something i can use it for like the oar storage.

Comment

Working...
                      X