hoping to bring my grandfathers boat back to its glory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hoping to bring my grandfathers boat back to its glory

My grandfather left me his 17' 1958 skagit when he passed away and now that I am back to the west coast id love to bring it back to how he had it. It has no major flaws at all and is ready for the water as is. I however would love to do a few cosmetic touch ups to bring the original glory back to how it was when he first owned it. I have pictures of my on this boat on his lap when I was 3 and now I have pictures of my daughter on mine in the same seat. Any advice is greatly appraciated

[ATTACH]15918[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]15918[/ATTACH]
    Attached Files

Comment

David,

Welcome!

She looks pretty clean from the two photos you posted. More photos would help, or, areas of attention that you can think of.

First things first though, is to make sure those through hull fittings don't leak. It would be a shame to put her in the water only to watch her fill up! I I would probably suggest just removing them and replacing with new. Use 3M 5200 to seal the fittings.

The gelcoat looks good. If it needs a shining, and polishing compound doesn't do the trick, light sanding with fine grain sandpaper and then polish will get the shine back.

Good luck! and post back often.
      John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
      Past Affairs:
      '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

My trick is to wash the heck out of it and get as much of the haze off as you can with a brush or wet and dry 1500? sand paper.
        Also washed the heck out of it and use the coarsest 3M cutting compound they have and then hit it with the big buffer.
        Really depends on how bad it looks. Yours, I would have someone try and buff it out first. Its not that bad I don't think...
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar, post: 28237, member: 59
          My trick is to wash the heck out of it and get as much of the haze off as you can with a brush or wet and dry 1500? sand paper.
          Also washed the heck out of it and use the coarsest 3M cutting compound they have and then hit it with the big buffer.
          Really depends on how bad it looks. Yours, I would have someone try and buff it out first. Its not that bad I don't think...
          Here are some pictures of before and after shots of his 18ft Skagit. It is the same hull as the 17ft Skagit it just grew a foot with creative MEASURING. Most dramatic display of polishing that I have seen.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hahaha!! That's some impressive polish!!
            Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
            1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Bflaherty, post: 28266, member: 40
              Hahaha!! That's some impressive polish!!
              Mike Holmstrom had someone from one of the boat companies come and polish the boat. The Skagit sat under cover for years under the shed in the first picture. We thought it was pink until polished. Then it became the Persimmom Princess.

Comment

Working...
              X