Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We finally have a Dorsett Farallon (Oh Boy!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We finally have a Dorsett Farallon (Oh Boy!)

Okay, here we go again. A little background first. This is not the first time that I've done this. I was able to rescue a Hunter 27 sailboat just before it was to be scrapped. That was 20+ years ago. I fixed it up, made it seaworthy and sailed Puget Sound for 19+ years. So I'm not new to boating, sailing not power boating. Owned and operated a machine shop for 25+ years. I am now retired and also disabled as well, but can still do stuff. Am married to a wonderful woman named Laurie, who you will be hearing from as well. She's the real sailor in the family. She's even been a blue water gal. And I must add "Keeps me pretty much in line"

Okay, probably, 12 to 15 years ago while sailing around PS, we both fell in love with a couple of Dorsetts we saw while sailing, one, as I remember , we saw and lusted over in Friday Harbor and have always been kinda been looking for. Well now we have one that I can get up in the middle of the night, look out the kitchen window and see or run out and pet it and dream for a few minutes.

I've started taking pictures and as soon as we can, Laurie and I will try to keep you all up to date and will have at least a gazillion questions. For me, mostly structure and power boat procedures for restoring. Plus I'll be asking "Uh, what is this and how does it work on a power boat.

Please be patient with me and remember I did this to a 27 sailboat, so that's where my first level of thinking comes from.

Kindest Regards
    Laurie and GrizzDSCF1807.JPG [ATTACH]16400[/ATTACH]

Here it is (I think)[ATTACH]16400[/ATTACH]
    Life begins at a shoreline.

Congrats! Looks like quite a mess! You will have lots of fun restoring her. There are lots of guys here who have been there, done that, so ask away! I suggest you poke around some of the longer restoration threads here.

Mark's 14 Bell Boy
    http://www.classicboatclub.com/forum...p-by-step.990/

My Bell Boy 404 project:
    http://www.classicboatclub.com/forum...toration.2497/

Ed Brown's 21 foot Express
    http://www.classicboatclub.com/forum...llboy-21.3435/

Tim's Saratogan
    Lots of threads!

Daves Seafair
    http://www.classicboatclub.com/forum...-rebuild.3779/

And more!

Read up on how to work with resin and fiberglass, pourable foam, and working with paint. you will be doing all of it in time.
    John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
    Past Affairs:
    '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

I still don't understand how I got the 2 pics on the thread but I'll figure it out. Thanks for your response. I have been lurking around this site for quite a while and found that this is the one that seems to fit where we're going. As far as the glass, foam and paint I've pretty much been there with the 27 Hunter. I really need Farallon dimensions, fitting types and wiring diagrams and floor ideas. For instance, there is no cabin floor just the bottom of the boat. I'm not sure what structure Dorsett put in there for floor support. Pics and ideas would be great.

Thanks for your guidance and will spend time with each.

Thanks and Kind regards
      Grizz of Laurie and Grizz

Comment

Grizz, Helmar should be able to help you with the cabin floor / wiring . Remember i have the "bunk " support pipes when you need them and some pictures soon. Chuck
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Yes, thanks for the pipes, please hold on to them for us. Remember how when you start a project (not just boats) there is always these questions in my mind "why in heck to that guy do that for?" Here's a pic of port main bul that is apparently chopped out with a hand saw. My usual question "Why would someone do that?"

Any ideas? Star bul is also cut out , but not as bad.
          Attached Files

Comment

[ATTACH]16405[/ATTACH]
            Originally posted by GrizzW, post: 28844, member: 2420
            Yes, thanks for the pipes, please hold on to them for us. Remember how when you start a project (not just boats) there is always these questions in my mind "why in heck to that guy do that for?" Here's a pic of port main bul that is apparently chopped out with a hand saw. My usual question "Why would someone do that?"

Originally posted by GrizzW, post: 28844, member: 2420

Don't have any idea why a person would have cut that out.
            Attached Files
            1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
            1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Do a search for Chelan as Allan and Sue have one on Fox Island. Might have it stored some palace else but you could get allot of important measurements from him.
              Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Yes Helmar, we are here on Fox Island with our Farallon. Happy to serve as a template any way we can.

I have a photo of you working on the stringers before you and Marty put in the new fuel tank. Great memories of the project.

Allan
                1958 Dorsett Farallon
                1959 Bellboy Ballerina

Comment

Cabin
                  Attached Files
                  1958 Dorsett Farallon
                  1959 Bellboy Ballerina

Comment

"Well now we have one that I can get up in the middle of the night, look out the kitchen window and see or run out and pet it and dream for a few minutes".

Yes, Grizz and Laurie, you have the Classic Boat Syndrome! So sorry to hear!

Tim aka McSkagit
                    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Originally posted by Chelan, post: 28863, member: 183
                      Yes Helmar, we are here on Fox Island with our Farallon. Happy to serve as a template any way we can.

I have a photo of you working on the stringers before you and Marty put in the new fuel tank. Great memories of the project.

Allan
                      Thanks Allan. Something I never figured we would need but well, I was wrong.
                      Thanks
                      Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Okay, it's time for an update and a question or two. Laurie and I are cruising right along. Since our Farallon has arrived we have been busy taking stock of what we brought home. Lot of Stuff! Finally removed all the "loose" stuff that was in the boat. Still not disappointed, but am trying to come up with some sort of work order with priorities. I am amazed at how many things were held with "Nails". Wooden parts appeared rusty. No, wood doesn't rust, but if you put enough nails and no stainless fasteners, things break down pretty fast. Will be cleaning and just getting familiar for a little while. Besides, it's fun just sitting there and looking.

On to a question: Have included a few pictures of the WS. It appears that someone just bought 45 tubes of Boat "Life Caulk" and used that for a quick fix. Is this the way Farallon windshields were installed?
                        I have been looking around, but what did you guys do on your rebuilds? Some pics would be greatly appreciated if you have any around. Will be removing WS and cleaning all the caulk off this next week.

So that's the latest,
                        Kind Regards
                        Grizz of Laurie and Grizz
                        Attached Files

Comment

At Island Boat Shop, we never had to replace the windshield on them. Allans didn't need re-setting. Chucks was done by a glass shop I think?
                          Not sure but I have it in my head it was Buytl tape was used.

Got your payment, and welcome to being a supporting Member
                          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Working...
                          X