No announcement yet.

1960 Lee Craft Runabout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, with having to take down two 60 foot rotting trees before winter sets in and getting other honey do's completed I have finally managed to remove the old transom, after I do some work on the second bathroom I may be able to get some sanding done.

I find that I would rather work on the boat than any other project I have in the fire...
    Even above my motorcycle **gasp**. What have I stumbled upon by purchasing this cheap basket case boat?

In the mean time while I have some down time at work.. I have discovered 'EBay'. I have purchased a few items over the years from there, but recently I have increased my activity... I purchased some bow rail fittings and a really cool bow light, and a gauge pod/ steering wheel that looks really cool. I am eyeballing a really cool vintage stern light now...and started purchasing supplies.

I have not found anything on the Internet that would give a rookie a list of starting supplies (stuff they might need to start a fiberglass boat repair). I found this site and camped out realizing there is a lot of knowledge here local to me. I will always update my first post on ths thread with a material list or what not that I find imortant as a rookie or recruit that might be looking for this information. I help that all the old salts keep me on course.

Ok back on course,

I really wanted to restore the boat to her original beauty but that will not happen due to condition and limited internet resources of this manufacturer. I decided to retro mod this boat when I could find nothing more than a few words about the company on fiberglassics.

I stumbled upon this boat first on Craigslist and by all means I should have walked away, but it was cool looking and I have always wanted to go back out on the water ever since my short navel stint in the 80's. I tend to be impulsive on my buying habits when I see something I want. With all that being said, I find myself thinking of what I want in a boat.

Cool factor (stayin within retro guidelines)
    Wife factor (porta potty)
    Fish factor (room to fish, down riggers, live well,...)
    Tech factor (keeping with current tech)
    functionability factor (all the stuff you don't see..fuel tank, plumbing, electrical, ....

Did I mention I tend to ramble... Here are some photos... Transom removed and gauge pod mock up..

I intend to finish this boat but I am not afraid to have another project in the background so I will always hunt for a cuddy cabin between 17 and 20 foot...
    Lyle
    "Adrift in a sea of information looking for answers to bring me home"

The Build:
    The Dorsett
    Photos:
    1960 Dorsett Catalina

Comment

Rotton trasom wood! A familar sight. Be sure to grind/sand all the old wood off the inside of the shell before you start laminating. Fortunately, your transom is flat, so you'll be able to laminate/glue the plywood layers together and trim up the edges before you install the assembly in the boat. You can make long reach clamps (18"+) using bolted together 2 x 4's having a 2" -2-1/2" fulcrum between them on the back end.

Comment

Hello, just when you thought it was safe, I post again. No new picks of the boat, just sanding, sanding and a little more sanding. Picked up a donor boat for a price I could not resist, a savage 30-06 axis xp with redfield revenge scope($700 value). A little later evinrude than I wanted but it runs.

Meet the 'Hideous Thing' a name dubbed by my wife upon her seeing it for the first time...
        [ATTACH]16927[/ATTACH]

It floats! It's a 1978 Evinrude 70 horse. Just a little fuel leak on the middle carb gasket, and Only one little issue that I forgot... It's on a 20" transom and the Leecraft is a 15". DOH!
        Attached Files
        Lyle

The Build:
        The Dorsett
        Photos:
        1960 Dorsett Catalina

Comment

Are you going to build the new transom to 20"?

Comment

Yes, I am going to add 5 inches to the transom when I finish sanding the old one off. Have a few things going on around the house before I can play.

Looks like I might have a free boat real soon to give away or cut up. I am going to keep the trailer around for that 'Just in case' moment.
            Lyle

The Build:
            The Dorsett
            Photos:
            1960 Dorsett Catalina

Comment

Lyle, check this Lee Craft out! I saw it and thought of you...not sure if you've seen it already...

Only $19.5K
              http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/4785212477.html

Comment

That is awesome, what a beautiful boat (a little more than what I paid)... The Red Really stands out on the water! Thank you.. lots of great reference photos. I have been working on other projects but have a two week down time coming up at the end of the year where I can apply myself for a few days.
                Lyle

The Build:
                The Dorsett
                Photos:
                1960 Dorsett Catalina

Comment

Kelly and Lyle-
                  Wow, that boat pops in red. Tint on the windows, original deck hardware, looks like it's all there. Price is rich, but good luck, it'd be nice for all of us with a final price starting to reach that level.
                  Not to mention the cool design of the trailer and details on that trailer. Neat !

bruceb

Comment

Worth every penny.....
                    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

I only got 1 full day on the boat after a full two weeks of doing family stuff. Not as far as I would like to be but farther than I should be. I really thought it would go faster than it has been. Still a great project though.

The top is no longer hanging there due to safety concerns... But the boat is wide open now!
                      Last edited by Lyle; 01-06-2015, 07:58 PM.
                      Lyle

The Build:
                      The Dorsett
                      Photos:
                      1960 Dorsett Catalina

Comment

whoa, cool shot! I'd be concerned with sidewall flex w/o the top on, though I have no true experience separating a boat.

Comment

Nice. After bedding, are you going to rivet it again or fiberglass the hull/deck together, or both?

Comment

Originally posted by Skagit Hideaway View Post
                            Nice. After bedding, are you going to rivet it again or fiberglass the hull/deck together, or both?
                            Sorry for the long pause. I am putting it back together the same way it came apart. this time I am using stainless fasteners. I will fillet seal the overlap the add a new rub rail (TBD) the old one is pretty bad.

Kelly, Yeah I don't like the deck hanging like that. Not my best plan.
                            Lyle

The Build:
                            The Dorsett
                            Photos:
                            1960 Dorsett Catalina

Comment

OK so my timeline is not what I would hoped it would be... I had to do a little spring cleaning and reorganization and I still have the house projects that are near completion ( not quite finished due to the fact that the contractor is really SLOWWW) In my mind I was thinking that I could do this as a winter project. Well Winter is turning to Spring and Life just keeps plugging along. We are looking to find a new house and one of the requirements is that it has a proper shop.

I do have a current photo of my reorganization... Looks like a boat blew up in my back yard. Any Questions? I am back at it..
                              Attached Files
                              Lyle

The Build:
                              The Dorsett
                              Photos:
                              1960 Dorsett Catalina

Comment

Looks like good progress has been made, your into it Big time.
                                Helmar Joe Johanesen
                                1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                                1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                                Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                                2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                                http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
                                X