Skagit 20 - Alaskan Bulkhead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tim,

That is the plan - a real quazi-bulkhead (I read that a real bulkhead can not have an opening in it over a certain size to qualify) with door(s) at the end of the new cabin. Keep the heat in and the water and noise out. Your sliding, tempered glass would be nice, but as you mentioned previously, glass is heavy. The front/side windows in the cuddy are all plastic and I plan to use the same for the cabin side and bulkhead windows, with safety glass in the front because of the wipers. We will still have canvas cover/curtains back to the stern probably, but having owned a convertible automobile, I don't trust canvas to keep the weather out, particularly on open water.

...your two cents welcome any time....

Lance

Comment

....in the previous pictures you might notice the sand blaster sitting in the cuddy cabin. Walnut shell blast media cleans off the old paint nicely without damaging the fiberglass, and you don't have to wash the surface afterwards (like when using soda). Just brush and vacuum. I'm going to clean the stringers/inside of hull that way before foaming. I have not tried it on the outside surfaces as yet, however.

Comment

Steve, Thanks for the information on the easy steer. I am sort of thinking of taking my "get me home" motor out of the cuddy and mounting it on the transom. If I do I will loose that ballast but I have recently run fuel lines down each side from the bulkhead so I can have two fuel tanks forward. I started rearranging my fuel tanks so I can have two forward and three under the bench seat making a total of 60 gal.. I was planning on taking a trip to Ketchikan and back but the more I look at it the more I realize how tough that would be in a 17 ft. boat. I would have to buy a lot of MT. Dew for that trip.
        Greg James

Comment

One of the big problems cruising to Alaska in a small boat is dodging all the people going up there successfully in their kayaks. There really is no minimum sized boat for cruising the Inside Passage. Preparation and planning aside, it's what works for you. Alaska is huge and distances are vast, so there are fuel costs to consider, but, as professional outfitters say, the biggest obstacle to making that commitment is fear. Rounding Cape Caution is not for the faint of heart.
          Last edited by Skagit Hideaway; 12-06-2014, 09:46 PM.

Comment

...simulation of the extension, were it added to the boat as it was originally at purchase. The motors may be scaled a tad large.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar View Post
              My 59 Skagit seems to be a little heavy in the butt as she has a cast iron Volvo B18 and one of the first Heavy Volvo Penta outdrives on it.
              Helmar,

What's the combined weight of your B18 + outdrive?

Lance

Comment

Originally posted by Skagit Hideaway View Post
                Helmar,

What's the combined weight of your B18 + outdrive?

Lance
                I have no idea one what the weight is. More than I can pickup I can tell you.
                The engine is a basic Volvo B-18 all cast iron. Tin valve cover, aluminum timing cover and the rest, cast. Even the bell housing. Oh, the dual intake and webers were aluminum.z
                The outdrive was heavy too. Sorry.....No clue
                Helmar Joe Johanesen
                1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thanks.

I looked it up. 341lbs for the B18 with standard carberator and ca. 150lbs for the outdrive, from what I can find. Heafty, but nice - "best engine ever made" rating.

Lance

Comment

I'm an old Volvo Penta guy from way back. 550 pounds for the B-18 with transom shield and 250 or 270 drive.
                    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones View Post
                      I'm an old Volvo Penta guy from way back. 550 pounds for the B-18 with transom shield and 250 or 270 drive.
                      That time I drove up to Friday Harbor and you gifted me those Volvo Pinta AQ-100 outdrives, I still have one of them. The X was hauling things away for scrap before I could get my hands on the other one.
                      I thank you again for those by the way, And the trip around this Island.
                      I still tell that story today the way you came boiling up to the dock, dropped the bumpers and she eased her way to the exact spot you wanted her. I was out and on the run to get the RV that was left in the Ferry line and made it just in the nick of time.
                      I had never had such a experience like that.
                      Thanks for those memories
                      Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar View Post
                        That time I drove up to Friday Harbor and you gifted me those Volvo Pinta AQ-100 outdrives, I still have one of them. The X was hauling things away for scrap before I could get my hands on the other one.
                        I thank you again for those by the way, And the trip around this Island.
                        I still tell that story today the way you came boiling up to the dock, dropped the bumpers and she eased her way to the exact spot you wanted her. I was out and on the run to get the RV that was left in the Ferry line and made it just in the nick of time.
                        I had never had such a experience like that.
                        Thanks for those memories
                        Yeah, Joe, that was cutting it a little tight. Love it when a plan comes together......
                        Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Thanks for the weight info Captain Tim.

Here's the starboard side "arch thing" almost done. I don't think I'll ever get tired of this extension. You guys? Ha, ha. Soon, the final skinning of the rear end top/sides.

Happy Holidays!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Man, that is sure looking good !!.
                            I can't wait for her sea trials, got to be pretty spectacular for sure.
                            Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

You may have posted this already, but how much weight do you think you've added to the transom? It's looking really good and like Helmar I'm looking forward to sea trial pics or video...

Comment

150-160lbs, which floats itself in 3" of water.

Comment

Working...
                                X