1958 Skagit 20 - Hardtop model

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1958 Skagit 20 - Hardtop model

So I'm putting a cost list together for a Skagit 20 and looking to the Skagit veterans for an assist. If you know a good resource and/or current cost of the resource, please let me know. I want to ensure I'm not getting in too deep right out of the gate.

Remember this is a 1958 Hardtop model...

1- Windshield = Resource/Cost?
    2- Windshield Seals =
    3- Cabin windows =
    4- Rub rail rubber = Pretty sure webco(?) has it from what I remember, but what about the cost?
    5- Original Steering Wheel =

That's all I can think of right now. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
    So I'm putting a cost list together for a Skagit 20 and looking to the Skagit veterans for an assist. If you know a good resource and/or current cost of the resource, please let me know. I want to ensure I'm not getting in too deep right out of the gate.

Remember this is a 1958 Hardtop model...

1- Windshield = Resource/Cost?
    2- Windshield Seals =
    3- Cabin windows =
    4- Rub rail rubber = Pretty sure webco(?) has it from what I remember, but what about the cost?
    5- Original Steering Wheel =

That's all I can think of right now. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Well, I am afraid that the company that was in Seattle that did this kind of work that was have way reasonable, closed its doors. Another company was tried (Don't remember the name) quoted a price that was so far out that you knew they didn't want to do it.

Chuck used to have those windows done, Middy plastic ?

The side windows can be done by yourself, but the helm windows and cabin front windows are going to be trouble.

All the rubber was done by Wefco in CA and pretty reasonable prices (Reminds me, I need to call them about a club discount for advertisement)

Stock steering wheel? Not real sure I ever seen one other than this type that was also used by Bell Boy and a few others.
    Will look for a picture when I have a little more time. Unloading part of my shop to storage today.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

1- Windshield = Resource/Cost? Call Assoc Glass in Lynnwood Attn: Jim 425-779-2174 Tell him Chuck said to call I would go with Lexan
      2- Windshield Seals = Wefco Price ? included with windows
      3- Cabin windows = Assoc Glass can make new ones / On Skagit cabin windows all are not the same so that way you need them custom made.
      4- Rub rail rubber = Webco Yes $150.00 Attn Pete ( he will give you the club discount )
      5- Original Steering Wheel = ???? That might take sometime to find

Middy plastic is out of business and their price were way to much anyway.
      On the windshield, don't go with the original glass as it will cost you a fortune ( ask me why )
      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Thanks guys. Chuck that helps me put everything into perspective with regards to initial cost. I'd still want a few more things, like powerplant and trailer... yikes!

Comment

Just looking at the pictures of the trailer again...probably usable for a while but in the long run I'd like to go galvanized.
          2014-05-09 18.37.26.jpg

Comment

I would go EzLoader or KING bunk trailer single axle. Also about a 115 Hp four stroke, That is what i had on Bainbridge and ran just fine with a few horse's left over. That is just my idea's.

Comment

115 four stroke would be awesome...not sure it would be in the immediate budget but I like where your head is

Comment

I just purchased a Karavan I-Beam Aluminum trailer for my 25'. Very happy with it, so far.
                17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
                18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
                19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
                25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
                14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
                14' Stilleto

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                  I just purchased a Karavan I-Beam Aluminum trailer for my 25'. Very happy with it, so far.
                  Hey Karl.
                  I would be interested in seeing a picture of that if you can upload one and do you mind if I ask what you had to pay for it or what they normally cost ?

Thanks.
                  Helmar
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Kelly, You could go with a 2 stroke recondition 100 and up hp from Dr Frankenmerc ( Tom Adams ) down by Mason Lake. You can trust him !

Comment

Kelly, You can count on your windshield to cost right around $500. per piece. If you are getting two pieces for a split windshield it's probably going to come to right around $1000. If you can go with a one piece if at all possible do it even if you have to have a frame fabricated. Like Chuck said Lexan would be best mainly because it can be bent with a heat gun, Plexy requires a furnace. Talk to Jim at Associated Glass he has done good work for me and he knows what kind of rubber to use. He also did the tinted cuddy window for me but I can't remember the cost.2011-04-08 14.39.01.jpg
                      Greg James

Comment

Once you get that Skagit 20 done, you will find out the hull is like a battleship.
                        Mine does not give when you push on the sides like the bell boy or uniflite.
                        Belairinbaysm.jpg
                        Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

I've been looking at those earlier Mercs, Chuck and kinda like that idea too. We'll have to see how the $$ lines up as I go. The main goal initially is to see what I'm up against. The list I posted are the immediate concerns (aside from the steering wheel...) but as with my Uniflite, patience pays off, especially when dealing with Craigslist.

Karl I'd have to see some figures before I buy a new trailer, for reasons stated already...$$$

Comment

Thanks for the info Greg. I plan on keeping the split windows as that really sets the look IMHO. I'll call as soon as I'm ready to pull the trigger on windows.

Joe just walking around the boat I can tell it was built for some aggressive water!

Comment

Kelly, I went from a single windshield to a double because I feel that that look says Skagit and helps make it look as tuff as the boat is.
                              Greg James

Comment

Working...
                              X