No announcement yet.

Uh oh. 1958 Skagit 20 Hardtop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We'll it's been nearly a week since spraying. I'm attempting to stay on track though I'm in lane 4 now instead of 1...still in the race though.

Today was take a break from the sanding and painting woes. So to re-energize my motivation I decided to clean my shop and workspace first, then vacuum all of the dust from the inside of the boat. Too much clutter and chaos makes my head hurt.

I decided to put the hatch cover and bridge back on temporarily and drill 4 tack holes to hang the helm and water tank. I figured it was a good time to check the steering wheel height and overall position of the boxes.
    The steering wheel in the picture is the eBay purchase from last year. It's a correct 1958 Wilcox Crittenden that Skagit liked to use. My creation of a center cap for the wheel is temporarily installed also.

Tomorrow's goal will be to heat the bottom of the hull and glass in the toilet thru-hull fitting hole. The inside was done already, but the outside needs to be sanded again due to over spray. We'll see if I get to it.

Comment

• Good job, that sure looks nice!
      I hope my project turns out that good.

Comment

• thanks Pat.

Nothing new in the past few days. Sanding.
        I did modify one of my custom steering wheel center caps to fit in the original groove to see how it looked. I like both ways so we'll see.

Comment

• Helmar
          Helmar commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks pretty sweet both ways.

• **Thread update**
        Did some editing on this entire thread. I didn't like the direction it was going for a bit soooo....

Back at it. Updates include:
        - reloaded the boat on the trailer and moved it to my in-laws shop
        - removed the trailer and started sanding again
        - prepped the work space to accommodate all aspects of the remaining to do list (in-law has way better tooling than I do)
        - chrome parts debacle sorted and in hand
        - double axle trailer purchased (used) and will require attention

more as I think on it...
        Last edited by Kelly; 01-10-2019, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• I'm glad your still at it! Working on these things outside isn't the best idea, nice to have access to a shop, wish I did too..

Comment

• Thanks man. If I cleaned out the entire shop I could fit all of my boats plus have room for yours. If you ever need to do some inside work, let me know it only takes a minute to move the 1947 GI flatbed truck.

Comment

• Got the boat sanded again. Going back to the fairing stage, this time with "total fair" by Total Boat. Essentially going to use it on the entire boat and then sand again. Then primer, then sand again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelly View Post
                Got the boat sanded again. Going back to the fairing stage, this time with "total fair" by Total Boat. Essentially going to use it on the entire boat and then sand again. Then primer, then sand again.
                You are getting to that point where you can step back and start the Wow, I did that and it feels Good. Very nice Kelly and a Lot of work but I can see its paying off for you

Helmar Joe Johanesen
                1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

• Thanks. I forgot to get those pics for you that we talked about. Next weekend.
                  For those not on our FB page, here's a pic+1 that I posted there.

Comment

• Well got some serious work done on my 3 day weekend. Sanding the paint job off is complete. Sanded a few high spots that were missed and then lightly sprayed black paint to find low spots on the hull. Next weekend I'll sand some more and then lay on some fairing compound. I was hoping it would have arrived last Friday but I think the east coast weather slowed the shipment down.

Played around with building the side seating/steps. I had ordered double hinges and was happy with them but I think I'm going another hinge route and will double over cut down "piano" hinges. Probably 10" in length. Pictures explain better.
                    Door skin used to make templates.
                    The seat configuration was my son's idea 3 years ago. He got the inspiration from building legos. For that reason alone, I've been hell bent on making it work. I've just been trying to perfect the structure. Above the seat will be storage. Both the port and starboard will mirror each other for aesthetic purposes.

Comment

• Glassed in the seat structure today. A layer of csm and glass cloth...time will tell if this works.

Comment

• Bought a couple of new tools for sanding/fairing from Flexsander. 22" longboard really let's you find how bad the hull and gunnel really were. Tons of low spots. Lots more work to do though I'm not sure how much more sanding I can take.
                        Last edited by Kelly; 02-03-2019, 04:35 AM.

Comment

• Framework seems strong so decided to sand and clean up the excess strands and resin droppings. First coat of primer added. I just went with a barrier primer that can be top coated with any paint and is moisture and mildew resistant.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelly View Post
                            Well got some serious work done on my 3 day weekend. Sanding the paint job off is complete. Sanded a few high spots that were missed and then lightly sprayed black paint to find low spots on the hull. Next weekend I'll sand some more and then lay on some fairing compound. I was hoping it would have arrived last Friday but I think the east coast weather slowed the shipment down.

Played around with building the side seating/steps. I had ordered double hinges and was happy with them but I think I'm going another hinge route and will double over cut down "piano" hinges. Probably 10" in length. Pictures explain better.
                            Door skin used to make templates.
                            The seat configuration was my son's idea 3 years ago. He got the inspiration from building legos. For that reason alone, I've been hell bent on making it work. I've just been trying to perfect the structure. Above the seat will be storage. Both the port and starboard will mirror each other for aesthetic purposes.
                            That is looking pretty nice Kelly. From the pictures it looks like the bottom swings up to make the seating area ?
                            Then it looks like the upper part will hing down for more storage, good thinking . That is something the factory never did take into consideration was places to put your gear..

I have seen several sizes in the stainless piano hinges. Are you thinking of being able to put that bench up for a boarding step too ?.

Getting closer and closer for sure.

Looking back, you have came a Long Way
                            Helmar Joe Johanesen
                            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

• More work completed. Made and glassed in more roof stringers. Happy with the results.
                              Made and glassed in a strip of wood in the splashwell to get it back to the factory look.
                              Primed the inside of the cockpit area. Not done with the primer yet...

Comment

Working...
                              X