No announcement yet.

Wood replacement questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's what I was looking for, thanks! I'm still a ways from getting the floor painted but the info helps with my planning process.

Comment

Finally made the decision about seats. We had gone to many boat stores, Cabela’s, bass pro, ect over the last year trying to find seats that are comfortable to us. They either sit up to straight, to big for our smaller frames or just plain cheap and uncomfortable. I wanted to try these Tempress Probax seats but of coarse no one I could find in western Washington had these seats to try, all this water and boats... Made it over to Idaho earlier this fall and found them at a boat store outside of Post Falls, they said they are very popular over there and they sell a lot of them, instantly comfortable, so that is what we got. We have smaller jump seat type for the rear seats. These came in red and white, but I’m glad we went with the darker grey with a little red. It took awhile trying to find the right height pedestals with swivel and a slider for the drivers side, but found em and they seem to be the right height.

Working on wiring now, have the majority of it ran but not much hooked up yet.

I’ve been researching bilge pumps and am leaning toward a smaller maybe 500-800gph for the mainland a large back up maybe 2000, I had a 1500 in my fiberglass jet boat and never had a problem with it pumping enough water, but I was always within site of land in that boat. Any suggestions or opinions on multiples or size of bilge pumps?

Comment

I had a 1500 in my Uniflite and never had an issue. I'm going with either the 1500 or 2000, nothing smaller. I keep a manual pump as a backup, just for a battery failure scenario. Knock on wood, I've haven't had to use it yet.
        Those seats look comfortable and look like they belong. Curious on the height? It's hard to judge by these pictures... are the pedestals adjustable?

Comment

The seats are depending on where measured 30” from the floor and 15” from the top of the boxes. The pedastals I think are about 9” and the drivers has a slider so the seat slides back and forward and adds 1-2”. There not height adjustable, I couldn’t find any that short and adjustable.

The seats I do like, I was originally wanting a bit more period correct look but comfort won out.

Comment

Comfort is a big deal. My Uniflite had original style seats and after hours on the water my back would hurt. You will appreciate your choice for years.

Comment

Slowly working on misc tasks. Wiring is going well.
              Where do most people put the bilge pump exit on the Skagit 20’s? I made the bilge area size almost exactly as it was originally. I’m thinking if I exit out the sides of the boat under the splash well it will be to close to the waterline. I don’t really want to cut up through the splash well if I don’t have to, but I don’t see another option. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by sclapsaddle View Post
                Slowly working on misc tasks. Wiring is going well.
                Where do most people put the bilge pump exit on the Skagit 20’s? I made the bilge area size almost exactly as it was originally. I’m thinking if I exit out the sides of the boat under the splash well it will be to close to the waterline. I don’t really want to cut up through the splash well if I don’t have to, but I don’t see another option. Any suggestions?
                Well, I have seen them both out the stearn and port or starboard side. Me, for the most part, I box that back area in and use it for storage so the splashwell is much smaller. I make that space useful for fenders and line. I think the last one I did, they came out high on the sides both port and starboard though thruhull fittings.

I suppose you could put them down lower but you would have to trust a scupper valve. Not sure i would be willing to do that.
                Helmar Joe Johanesen
                1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

3 potential options:

1) Out the back through the transom (not ideal but it's where modern boats discharge).
                  2) Discharge out the side near the back of the stripe, below the rub rail and above the trim.
                  3) Run a hose long enough and keep it loose under the splashwell and manually switch it on while hanging the hose over the edge.

I'm not yet sure what I'll do. I may go option two and paint the discharge fitting the same color as the stripe.
                  Last edited by Kelly; 01-01-2019, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Here's an older pic of Rick's '57 Skagit convertible and where he put the discharge ports.

Comment

• Your boat looks great btw... nice work!

Comment

• I think I'm going to punch holes in the splash well and seal the hose coming through, so I can keep it high. I'd prefer to not go through the wood in the transom, so I will probably go out the side by the trim, up high. Thanks for the input!!

Comment

• Originally posted by sclapsaddle View Post
                          I think I'm going to punch holes in the splash well and seal the hose coming through, so I can keep it high. I'd prefer to not go through the wood in the transom, so I will probably go out the side by the trim, up high. Thanks for the input!!
                          Whatever you do with it, just make sure vibration does not loosen things up and seal the hell out of it. I have them pointing out both on the port and starboard side but being a retired firefighter, 1" hose and big pumps, Evac Fast
                          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

• Have you decided what kind of exit fitting you're going with? I'm debating whether or not to get a plastic one and paint patch it, or get a chrome one to match the fuel vent.

Comment

• Originally posted by sclapsaddle View Post
                              I think I'm going to punch holes in the splash well and seal the hose coming through, so I can keep it high. I'd prefer to not go through the wood in the transom, so I will probably go out the side by the trim, up high. Thanks for the input!!
                              That would be my choice too.

Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

• Here's the exit location on my '59

Comment

Working...
                                X