1961 Uniflite Cuddy Cabin boat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old dead thread, I know.

Ric, I remembered this thread from last year when you discovered the brown under that horridly done paint job.

I'm now in a similar situation since I brought the 404 home. She has 3 (yes 3) different coats of paint on her that must come off. Well, 4 if you count the white on the hull. Anyway, what paint stripper did you use to get that off? I'm mostly done de-constructing the interior of the boat and want to move on to the exterior and get it all painted up before I begin on the interior again.

Thanks!

John
    John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
    Past Affairs:
    '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Hi John...

After all of my experimentation I found that the Citristrip from Home Depot worked as well, if not better, than all of the high priced specialty strippers...not a pretty sight and definitely messy it got the 1st few layers off to the point where I was able to sand the rest smooth with an orbital and 80 grit...

Drop cloths, gloves and plastic scrapers and lots of patience...you'll definitely get to know every bit of your hull intimately...

I don't envy you the experience (as "character building" as it may be ;-) I'm really glad it's in the past...

;-p

Have fun...Ric
      '59 19' Glasspar Club Mariner (for sale)
      '63 17' OMC Deluxe (My current lust boat)
      '65 16' Evinrude Sweet 16 (for sale)

Comment

Thanks, Ric.

I'll give it a try and see how it goes. I'm not in any particular hurry to get this project done, so the prospect of going over every inch is not as scary as it could be if I had a deadline!
        John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
        Past Affairs:
        '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Working...
        X