steering hook up on 1960 johnson 40 hp ss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering hook up on 1960 johnson 40 hp ss

hey there was wondering if anyone might be able to help just got a 1960 johnson 40hp ss electric and pull start.i figured for 100 dollars probly wasn't bad idea seems to be in good shape need to clean upa bit.but any who i got it for my silverline swift which from wut i found they had 40hp on em to begin with has the older style cable and pulley steering just wondering if anyone can gimme some info on how to hook my steering cables to it and if there is and tricks with these motors. i have some pics but it won't let me ypload em right now will do it later.
    thanks again for any help,
    ron
    Attached Files

unknown year 10ft hydro
    1984 bayliner capri 1975 merc 115

Steering basics

Ron,
    The old dogs use a push pin with a spring to keep the cable end attached to the motor.Some use a bolt with fiber nut to make their own but the real deal is a SS bracket that straddles the front cast Alum pc that looks like a carrying handle.The ridges/pin are what keep it lined up and the pin allows quick release for removing the engine.
    After hooking up the pcs,test tilt in various degrees of left to right to look for conflicts,binding or lack of ability to tilt when trailered or if going into shallows or beaching.
    You also are making sure things keep clear if you hit something and the motor flips up quickly.
    Sorry no pics of the brackest but I`m sure others may have them.
    Tim M
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

ok awesome thanks so much cant wait to get in the water.
      ron

unknown year 10ft hydro

Comment

steering bracket

Hi,
        You will need this bracket. If you don't have one, maybe someone in the club has an extra or you could try Sea Way marine in Seattle for obsolete parts.
        Attached Files
        Larry Ellingson

Comment

awesome thanks for the info i am gonna take some pics of the cables in the back not quit sure where the springs mount to. the diagram i found to rewind the cables around the hub was excellent but don't have round holes on either side its more rectangular and has a pully and brackett that fill the hole. pics comming soon to show wut i mean.
          ron
          Attached Files

unknown year 10ft hydro

Comment

It looks like there should be an eye bolt through the third hole in your combing pulley to attach the springs to. Also, I prefer pulleys with closed ends (not hooks) so that any slack in the tiller cables won't allow the hooks to pop out of the steering bracket.
            Best of luck, Larry
            Larry Ellingson

Comment

ok thats kinda what i thought but wasn't sure.so would it be feasable to just pick up a couple small eye bolts at the hardware store or is it sometin that is marine grade?
              thanks again,
              ron

unknown year 10ft hydro

Comment

Don't use cheap cad. plated steel. Use stainless steel so it won't rust.
                The big box stores have S.S. eyebolts that will work.

Comment

awesome thanks for the info

unknown year 10ft hydro

Comment

I have this setup on my Dorsett Belmont and would be willing to snap a photo if you wish. The steering hooks to the motor via a triangular aluminum bracket bolted to the front of the engine.

Charles Seims

Comment

yeah sure that would be awesome any advice or pics would be awesome.it's real cool that there are still people like evryone here that is willing totake time to answer questions and help out fellow boaters.

unknown year 10ft hydro

Comment

Working...
                      X