1959 Red Fish - 15' Shark

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1959 Red Fish - 15' Shark

While I slowly chip away at the 21' Bell Boy, I'm restoring my brother's 1959 Red Fish at the same time. I currently working on rebuilding the transoms on both boats. But, I need a little advice from the group on what to do with the floor in the Red Fish. The original floor was pieces of plywood cut and epoxied to the bottom of the boat and then covered with fiberglass. Similar to a wood floor in a house. The previous owner cut off the fiberglass and got rid of most of the rotted pieces of plywood. My question is, do I try to replicate the original design and cut lots of pieces of plywood and epoxy them down or do something different? There are no stringers in this boat so that's why I am asking. I am also going to have to make a new piece where the front bench seat attaches. At some point it was cut off so a modern single seat could be added. I'm going to try the lost foam method to fabricate that piece. I've used this method before to make a front hatch for my 18' BB. I'm open to any and all suggestions from the group on my issues...

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...t.do?docId=382

20180917_173319.jpg20190126_132355.jpg20160818_211850.jpg20171117_175352.jpg

Well, Epoxy down to fiberglass does not always make a structural bond.

Tell me what I am looking at in the bottom of that boat. Is that the old plywood or are you down to just dirty last layer of plywood?

You can see what happens when you use wood if there are ever ANY cracks, pin holes, its game over like what you see.

I might suggest looking at Fiberlays PVC foam 1/2" foam board, some fiberglass mat and roving then you will never have it go bad again.

I see your transom pattern too. Looks as you should be able to be dead on. Because the transom is at a angle, the next one, you should be able to use not quite so many tongue depressors and maybe just pop cycle sticks from the local craft store. the next one will no wider but the bottom will change.almost a half inch each layer if your using 1/2" wood.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

The bottom of the boat is down to the dirty fiberglass. All the old wood was torn out before the boat was given to me. I think going the pvc foam is the best route. Appreciate the advice.

Comment

You have some things to check out. If they really used epoxy, you will have to fill in the keel area with thickened epoxy and epoxy and fiber glass on top about the thickness of hull. then bed the foam in with thickend epoxy. mask off every thing once you get epoxy on fiberglass nothing else will stick to it. Check out how thick the original core was it might be 3/4 '' or 1''. Then cover with polyester and fiber glass about the thickness of hull. try to match the layer with the rest of the interior, some boat have cloth. If they didn't use epoxy you can use polyester stuff. Coat bottom side of foam with resin and bed in with structural putty.

Comment

Working...
        X