60s runabout restore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60s runabout restore

Well... I finally after several years I got a hobby!
    A 1967 15’ Reinell runabout!
    Hope I can find others with a similar project.
    I have prior expereance in composites when building an 18’ wood boat 25 years ago with epoxies, then composit repairs on gliders during my airplane mechanic days.
    So it’s been awhile and this is my first all glass boat project.
    I bought it last summer and Ive had it out on the water twice on a discovery test cruise, ran well.
    Now I’m gearing up to do the obvious!
    Transom repair and new floor.
    This boat has a low free board so it’s only a few inches between the floor and the hull.
    It shouldn’t be as big a job as a deeper hull boat. It a cute little boat.
    I hope someone has a similar one they can share advice about.

Well, looks like a nice little runabout !! Also looks like you figured out how to post your pictures without too much issues too. Good Job !
    We can sure give you our advice on how to do a transom as we have done many for sure.. I have Skagits, 14ft, 16ft and 20 foot boats. Also working on a 1957 Bell Boy for myself right now. That one is new up, replaced the stringers and went fiberglass stitched roving to create fiberglass stringers..

Just in case you don't have much information on your Reinell, we shared pretty much all the PNW classic boat information with Fiberglassics.com.
    Only problem, records went missing and so far, have not surfaced so it seems. All that I found available was this artical and all Fiberglassics is showing are some up to 1959.
    http://www.fiberglassics.com/library...ticle79001.jpg

I do remember one in 1959 which I forgot the name of it but it was 100% 1959 Chevy tail end on it. Looked like the car tail lights would bolt right on the boat.. I remember working on one of those up at Island Boat Shop and those were kind of like hens teeth to find.

I don't think your boat was very common and well, not very many were being built due to they went into the larger boats for what I understand.

Welcome aboard by the way.
    Helmar
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Ya I call it our little Barbie boat.
      Closest thing I’ll ever have to a 67 Mustang convertible.
      At this point rather than removing the rub rail and popping the top (though that might happen in the future) I plan to cut the splash well to make it easier to cut out and replace the transom from the inside. The splash well as stress cracks on both sides where I will cut anyway so when it gets glassed back in it will be stronger than before. I plan to use Coosa board on floor transom and anywhere else as I like the idea of lightning up the boat.
      that’s the plan so far.
      What area is your shop ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tomhoff View Post
        Ya I call it our little Barbie boat.
        Closest thing I’ll ever have to a 67 Mustang convertible.
        At this point rather than removing the rub rail and popping the top (though that might happen in the future) I plan to cut the splash well to make it easier to cut out and replace the transom from the inside. The splash well as stress cracks on both sides where I will cut anyway so when it gets glassed back in it will be stronger than before. I plan to use Coosa board on floor transom and anywhere else as I like the idea of lightning up the boat.
        that’s the plan so far.
        What area is your shop ?
        I am clear down in Eugene Oregon. Used to be up in Port Townsend. I am using the PVC board on top of the fiberglassed stringers and the using the close cell floatation foam by Fiberlay under the PVC board.

On the Dorsett Catalina boat, I was able to cut just forward of the splashwell bulkhead area as I could see the undersides clearly and just split the boat in the aft area. Reason for doing that was I can't go back stock with the little 1 1/2" transoms, always go 2" for the 4 strokes.. That way I was able to trim little by little and you would never notice is unless you knew they had a small transom in them.

Its always a good idea to keep the weight always in mind as it all adds up. Last time I checked, the Coosa board was getting up there in cost. Have you priced it lately ?

I am always interested in new ways or other ways to do things. I normally go with proven products though.

Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
        X