No announcement yet.

ProjectFiles:1961 GlastronJet Saga...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote="slo-mo, post: 8591"]With a new decade upon us, I thought it was about time that the story of our '61 Glastron "Add-a-jet-to-me" provided some entertainment value.

This first installment, will rehash some pictures/info posted on Fiberglassics "Chop Shop" at the start of the project, August 2008 (just before the site blew up). Deciding to avoid the crowds and string bikinis of Seafair, my son and I cranked the hydro races and got busy livin'. Pat O'day's inspiring calls of heat 1b were drown out by the din and smell of plastic surgery-vintage boat style. The slide show represents that weekends effort.

As Brian Franchini ("FINS") can attest, melding a vintage hull with modern "Jet Ski" power isn't for the faint of heart. Our totally custom project is now in final interior installation phase and will be undergoing final testing soon...STAY TUNED!

Yeah, Dude, some REAL Fiberglass work.

I have often looked at different boat designs and like "Parts" of the design.

Having a Sawzall and a bunch of old boats, hell Build your own.
    Just think, a year 2010 Whatsit

The glastron was a good choice for sure.

I still like Ole's idea of chopping the top of a cuddy cabin boat.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

I have often looked at different boat designs and like "Parts" of the design.
      Having a Sawzall and a bunch of old boats, hell Build your own.
      Just think, a year 2010 Whatsit
      I still like Ole's idea of chopping the top of a cuddy cabin boat.[/QUOTE]

Just cut & paste, right Joe! If you can dream it...give it a shot, beats sending them to the crusher. You are right the "chopped" cuddy concept rocks, seem to remember a few candidates around this biker dudes place, I'll see if I can find his #
      Attached Files

Comment

Greg-

The Vette-a-bout idea came around like most projects. Sitting around with friends saying "what if..." The hardtop is just because I love the look of these little boats with tops (and bigger boats as well...if anyone has a 1948-54 Chris Craft S-22 sedan sitting around, I will go all in and trade all my boats for it!) To have a boat with fins AND a hardtop is just too cool in my book. So my friend has this '58 Vette complete with a hardtop option that never gets used. The car really only goes out in the summer on nice days. So he says if it can be adapted to a boat without modifying the top it is mine to use. Of course he gets to use the boat at will when finished.

The power is just about as simple. I like to use my boats. The vintage outboard look is second to none, but the reliablity is a little questionable. The jet drive was a no brainer. Lots of parts and farily easy to work on. The trouble is that at shows and on the water, people see the jet and just assume it is a new boat with a vintage look. I have heard it all standing by the boat when on display. "He took a car and cut it up... It's a new boat going into production next year... I think Seadoo made that for a few years!" The small inboard should really get some head scratching from people that "know" the boat hobby. That vintage motor in a vintage package can fool alot of people.

But on top of it all, I just like trying things that others have not. The feeling of having a boat that NO one else has is pretty cool too! The best part is the cost of doing these projects. The starting project cost is really pretty cheap. Try buying a 1957 Chevy (any model) for $200 and then modify it. Sure the material cost can add up quickly if you are doing the project right, but no where near what it would cost to build a car from that era. I have about $7000 into my Playmaster jet boat ($3600 of that because I was stupid and subbed out the Gelcoat and paint) That total cost does not even come close to buying a new boat that you pick out on a lot with 14 identical ones parked next to it.
        BRIAN FRANCHINI
        LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

We are on the same page, Brian. I look forward to hearing more about your Vette-A-Bout inboard project when you get going.

Comment

what ever happen to FINS vette a bout?

Outlaw
            John & Colleen Weston
            Carlyon Beach, Olympia,WA
            lookin for the right boat

Comment

Working...
            X