Steering box questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering box questions

Found some time to start messing with the steering box on my Sportsman project. I'm not familiar with the unit itself. Does any body recognize this steer-box? I can turn it easily by turning the shaft, and pulled it apart and found all the gears to be in good shape.
    My plan is to repack with grease and try it, but I'm not sure if the cable would still be available or am I working on some odd-ball piece where parts will be a problem. The cable it self has been undone and is missing in action. Also any advice on what type of grease would be best to repack with?
    I'd sure like to use this as the dash is drilled to this unit and the big 'ol wheel is sort of cool looking too. Thanks - Ross
    Attached Files
    Ross Henson

Ross:
    My old delMar had a unit similar to that one. the cable looked like the teleflex ones but i could not be sure. This one has a weak spot where the "snout" connects to the gear case. Mine broke there when I was out fishing off Pt. No Point. It was an interesting ride home. Tossed it and went with a No Feed Back Tele system.
    ChuckB
    "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Chuck, Oh man that doesn't sound good. Always wondered what would happen if that happened running at speed. You probly know this one, parts on bench, a little clean up on the outside. Thinking this old thing looks pretty good, wonder what's inside this. In short order the case is split and the internals are evenly distributed across the bench! That's me, but I know a little more about steering now. Its all back together, now to decide to use it or not. Thanks - Ross
      Ross Henson

Comment

The Mighty "Big Tee"

Ross,
        You got a " Big Tee" unit by Teleflex there.
        You usually don`t want to open helms up,some even have fine print saying not to attempt service.
        If it feels solid,then go with it as it is a pricey unit to replace......it is geared for leverage and my buddies newer Grady White even had one in it.
        I bet it weighs amost 10 lbs ,don`t it?
        The case probably went on Chuck`s,the gears don`t look weak enough to break at all.This is kinda like a Round Rack,geared for ease of turning but solid so it normally doesn`t break.
        A new NFB system will cost the same as just that helm,with cable included.
        The old one is nice since you can enter either hole for reverse steering,plus the bezel allows you to turn it in various positions to clear the dash corner or gauges.
        The number of turns may be higher on the old one so see if you can match it.....usually 4.2 with 3.6 turns the lowest one.Like Power steering ,more turns makes it easier but sucks when docking and needing to go back and forth.
        I happen to have a brand new Chrome Dash Bezel for that puppy if it matters.
        I`ve never seen a helm break except on a stuck motor that hasn`t been turned all winter......I`ve broken a cable once and luckily the bent steering tube rod held the motor straight so we could get home from Vashon Island to Seattle.This happened moments after my wife`s first 20 lb King,hooked in 20` of water at the Ferry Dock.Sorry Honey ,Time to go.
        Seeing people netting more fish as we got at Alki ,we even made 3 "Drifts" thru the Pt and caught 3 more Salmon.
        We leaned Left/Right and used a Canoe paddle to weave thru the 30 other boats.Got interesting at the dock but we had 5 nice fish.
        Tim M
        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Tim, I always like a story that ends... and we had 5 nice fish! Also glad to hear your New Years Day ended O.K.. I have had some tough New years mornings, but man that must have been a heart stopper.
          I think after cleaning all the gears and housings up this unit will be fine. Like you say it probably weighs ten lb's or so but sure feels stout. I have heard the words "not usually opened up", before but I think this time it'll work out. Took the dash bezel and did a sand and polish on the two pieces, so should be good there. But thanks for the offer.
          So what should be used for gear lube? Looked like old grease to me. Thanks for the Info. - Ross
          Attached Files
          Ross Henson

Comment

Ross,
            Yep ,my heart stopped as I saw it was mine......after running to quickly save a smaller hull I first pictured,all I could do was hold my head.I remember people running by but it took me a second to realize I had to move.....once under,there wasn`t much anybody could do......
            Use some basic Marine Lithium Grease or any synthetic blend.
            The old stuff turns to tar as it dries up.
            That old unit is probably still made and sold today,and probably is servicable so no worries on opening it up.
            A dab of Loctite on the screw threads will lock them in place,just let it dry fully on the threads and assemble it the next day.
            TimM
            unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
            15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
            SeaRay 175BR
            Hi-Laker lapline
            14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
            X