Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 Skagit hardtop 19'? $700 Newport

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/2838400614.html

I chatted with seller. Trailer is 1969 Caulkins but not currently roadworthy. Owner wants to replace a section of tubing before it goes on the highway. He is a commercial welder so that is an easy fix. Tire rims are the cheap white paint type and relatively rusty. Seller will send me more pictures tomorrow and update me on tire/rim size.
    Bruce H. Drake
    1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
    1957 Norseman 19' woodie
    1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
    1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Skagit 20 update

Skagit 20. Pictures of exterior look pretty good. No picture of interior view toward transom/splashwell which would be nice to have. Floor was reported to be replaced but it looks like there may be a slightly lower floor starting at middle of seats with some discoloration so I don't know if that is just dirty or was not replaced. He says he has the hardware so probably there is a bow eye somewhere. One of tire rims needs to be replaced. Tires are ok 185-14s five lugs. He doesn't know if it still has the old old side tanks but it looks like hoses are there under the sink. I have not seen the boat only the pictures.
    Attached Files
    Bruce H. Drake
    1957 Norseman 19' woodie

Comment

Looks like a good North West Weather boat for sure.
      That top will keep your powder dry.
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Joe or anyone else

Did all 1961 or late 50s Skagit 20's come with forward side gas-tanks or might some of them come with in-floor tanks? Would there be room in the floor for tanks?

How much difference would there be in ride if the tanks were forward versus under the splashwell assuming a 17-20 gallon set up?

Fiberglassics lists the 20' convertible at 1305 pounds and the 20 express at 1350. Do those weights match approximately with people's experience with the 20's assuming no gear, gas, engine etc?
        Bruce H. Drake
        1957 Norseman 19' woodie

Comment

Helmars 2 cents

I am not sure about the weights and all but I do know of the bow is down, it will cut though the water a lot better than if the nose it stuck up in the air. That is were you take a pounding as your riding on the flat bottom.

I never did like putting batteries, fuel and all that in the rear of the boat as the next thing is to tip the motor as to force the bow down, using more fuel and working the engine even harder.
          If a boat came designed only to run one or two smaller 35hp engines, then had fuel tanks on the sides of the hull, you put the fuel in the rear, bigger engine in the rear with a pair of batteries, your working against the balance.

One thing I could never understand was putting Led in the bow ?
          Would it have been better to move your weight forward to start with and help balance out things...I think yes.

I don't know of any 20 skagit that had more than about 8 inches under the cockpit floor. It got to be less towards the stearn too.
          You would need more than one and have a plumbers nightmare trying to put fuel in and get it out.

My 20 is going to come down and it has the Volvo Penta IO installed in it.
          I noticed that she always sets low in the rear but yet the side fiberglass tanks are in about the same location as the other Offshore Skagits.
          I have room to move them forward in which I will as I have the replacement poly tanks to put in.

The last time out with her I had put Everything forward that I could and she would run up to about 28mph on the GPS. but I still had to tip the outdrive more to keep her nose down in the water.

I had batteries and fuel in the rear of her and knew right after I did that, it was a mistake. But, I was just testing out the engine so I had to keep her down to 15mph.

I sure surprised John Nelson with that little Volvo with her power and sipping fuel as he came with me on that trip.

I guess the trick is, Balance your boat if you can. Or keep it balanced.
          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Joe -Thanks for your input

Joe
            Thanks for input on tanks, floor and weight balance.

The Skagit 20 in Newport is still for sale even though the CL listing has expired (hence disappeared from CL).

You could buy the EZ loader tandem in Longview and solve all the trailer problems on the same trip. Who knows what the minimum bow eye position is on a 19-22 trailer. The Skagit 20 is 19'6" so it might be close.
            Bruce H. Drake
            1957 Norseman 19' woodie

Comment

Well, that was my two cents about it, so your welcome.

I have work down your way Bruce so I am putting a shop together in Sandy with my two boys.
              Just means we will have to get together on some sort of event, maybe the Multnomah Channel ??
              I will be using the Uniflite or the 20 Skagit.

I will also be spending some time on the Columbia, like going down to Astoria and back up to Portland.
              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Working...
              X