1958 Century Resorter Mahogany Classic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1958 Century Resorter Mahogany Classic

A boat for sale here in Victoria - could be a fun project for someone with the skills. http://www.usedvictoria.com/classifi...orter_17144229

For wooden boat newbies...when you can see daylight through your hull, it may be time for a new bottom.
    BRIAN FRANCHINI
    LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Originally posted by FINS, post: 22007
      For wooden boat newbies...when you can see daylight through your hull, it may be time for a new bottom.

Gee, she just needs some Tender Loving Complete restoration.

Comment

Originally posted by aguynamedchris, post: 21995
        A boat for sale here in Victoria - could be a fun project for someone with the skills. http://www.usedvictoria.com/classifi...orter_17144229

Boy, you left yourself wide open here on this project.
        On this forum, you have quite a few Restorators that hang out here and know what it really takes to restore one of these old girls. Sistering frames is still a patch job.

I hope I am wrong but I think your only seeing the tip of the iceberg.

Don't be fooled by what you find Googling things as they have not caught up to the economy that is in the crapper.

Sorry to be so real about it.

In honest opinion, your going to spend 20K to restore it to be worth 20K
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

I admit I don't know anything about restoring a boat like this but it sure looks like it would be pretty cool if it was restored.

Comment

Originally posted by aguynamedchris, post: 22014
            I admit I don't know anything about restoring a boat like this but it sure looks like it would be pretty cool if it was restored.
            You are definitely correct in your thinking that it will be cool if restored. It is just a lot more work to restore an old wood boat than most people estimate... Helmar is also correct in his statement "20K to restore a boat ultimately worth 20k" if you're lucky...

The 18 ft Century Resorter is quite possibly the most common Century you can find. That being said, parts are easy to find and usually inexpensive (when compared to Chris Craft or Hacker) but the Resorter was traditionally a single blank bottom so they don't handle rough waters well and you really can't through a lot of power at them or they start coming apart... As a person who grew up around vintage woodies, this would not be my first choice for a full resto project...
            Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
            1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by aguynamedchris, post: 22014
              There are no words on how good it feels once you have put in plenty of sweat and tears into one of these. Just to bring them back to there glory is something pretty special too.

No easy way to replace that plank....:Underconstruction1:
              Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

I used to be a furniture maker. My old master spent 14 years restoring an old wooden sailboat. Massive undertaking. I have the wood skills necessary to restore an old wood boat. But seeing how long it took my friend Bob, restoring instead of boating, was a big push for old fiberglass boat instead of old wooden boat... my2cents...
                :Skipper1: Sean Kuhlmeyer, JD
                (Sean the Lawyer in Seattle)
                1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan - "Solstice"

Comment

Working...
                X