Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 Dorsett Monterey

http://portland.craigslist.org/nco/boa/3569976302.html
    This is my boat. Life changes dictate a change in toys. For those that care, the title is actually called a Glasspar. Why, who knows, I argued with the Oregon Marine board, but number on boat matches number on title so they could care less since this was built long before embedded HIN numbers. So just enjoy the boat and don't sweat it (actual words from them)..
    Willie in Astoria (Oregon)

Nice looking boat Will-e. You could start calling it a Dorspar. Reminds me of Lowell's boat. Forget the make, but similar.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Will-E, post: 24422
      http://portland.craigslist.org/nco/boa/3564754417.html

This is my boat. Life changes dictate a change in toys. For those that care, the title is actually called a Glasspar. Why, who knows, I argued with the Oregon Marine board, but number on boat matches number on title so they could care less since this was built long before embedded HIN numbers. So just enjoy the boat and don't sweat it (actual words from them)..
      Willie in Astoria (Oregon)
      Its known that the States are only interested in the money, not make, nor year, plain and simple.
      They just don't care. I took a copy of the news story to the fat slob down in Salem Oregon to show them that the Skagit boats were never made past 1961 as the damn factory burned down. Mine is NOT a 1968, its a 1959 like the brochures showed.
      I didn't want to confuse him by telling him that someone DID Finish a few that were not burned in the fire later on in years.
      Got that story from Tim Jones as he is the true skagit guru.
      You have to do your own leg work to figure out what you have for sure..

We need some of the masters here and a Fiberglassics to tell you what that boat really is. Me, I think its a Duracraft. and the next generation that decided they needed a center post to help support the cabin.

What really makes a difference here is you have a real head turner, one of a kind boat so enjoy it.
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

http://portland.craigslist.org/nco/boa/3569976302.html
        Yea this has the center support/split window. I saw what someone said was a Skagit on Ebay a few months ago that looked almost identical.
        Duracraft came up also.
        But when I had the inside apart, I found a bag with 10 years of registrations, from 1959 to 1969, (which was the last time it was registered) and they all said 1958 Dorsett. But in all the brochures that I have seen, the 57 is the last of the split window, and the Catalina appeared, which has a more leaning forward bow and a little more V in the hull.
        We found that number that's on the registrations I found in the boat, stenciled under the foredeck under the paint the previous owner did that looked original, but that didn't matter either. Oregon deamed the boat was given new life, as long as they are getting their money for the item creating a hole in their water, they are happy. So it does make it legal to use, just kind of like loosing your birth certificate.
        What I've always liked about these older boats is first, I grew up around them so I have some pretty fond memories of youthful innocents ( and the fact they have charactor, and distinctive looks, with a cabin; not like the more modern "cuddy Cabin" which looks more like a ski boat on steroids..
        So this morning, wife is questioning why I'm selling the boat. Humm, first time she has spoken up. Aparently she likes it more than I thought, so this might call for more thought.. I guess I'll be testing my Ford Ranger 4x4 on it's ability to launch her. At least I have 4 wheel drive now. Last time I launched, I got stuck, with my lame Chevy Silverado ext cab 2 wheel drive; darn slimy ramps..
        Will-E

Comment

Sold the boat today, without the outboard.. So now I have to decide if I'm going to keep the 1966, 65 Merc long shaft with tilt/trim and find something vintage to put it on, or sell it too. BUt I'll probably wait till March to decide.
          Unfortunately for my boat projects, half the money goes for tickets to Hawaii; but a happy wife is a happy life... One of her son's is on an assignment there for 120 days. He's invited us, so we have a place to stay, just get there and back..
          I really want to find a 15 or 20hp long shaft 4 stroke electric start with remote for my 12' fishing Garvey. Once that is in place, I can go back to more vintage stuff..
          Will-E

Comment

Will-E, are you still looking for a motor for your 12 footer?

Comment

Working...
            X