Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bell Boy in the "Bush"

Hi all:
    Take a trip to No. Idaho for the weekend....
    http://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/3822729785.html.
    Check it out.:catchfish1:

Moderating your vision to reality!

It's interesting, suddenly these boats that sat in the blackberries for an untold number of years are starting to come out, now that a few have been sold "for outrageous sums".

I know what they're thinking, "maybe I can get several thousand bucks for that piece of junk taking up space in the backyard". Well folks, it turns out your boat might be worth that if it's a pristine Skagit 20 foot express, has solid floor boards and transom, all the glass and no extra holes in the gel coat and perhaps has a pristine pair of 50 hp Mercurys.

It would suggest therefore that if it's too big a project for you, it will probably be too big a project for most of us in the club. On the other hand, if you got a boat is so nice that you don't want to sell it, that either you or the previous owners have invested thousands of man-hours in a restoration time and costs, then we might give you a few hundred dollars for it.

It's a lot like buying that vintage 40 Ford that would be perfect to convert into a rat rod. You will never get the money out that you put in, but in the process you might create something that is a true work of art.

I personally have now collected four Skagit Plastics Boats and have enough projects to last me the rest of my life, however long or short it might be. I've even seen some really decent boats located at a distance where it is not economical to go pick the things up.

With four boats in my stable at this point, it turns out I'm a seller, not a buyer, and I am basically a happy camper who thanks to some very generous club members and former club members, have allowed me to purchase some of their wonderful surplus boats.
    Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
    16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
    17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

I have paperwork on this boat including title. it is on a decent trailer. it is a total project. make an offer I don't know if it is worth restoring but I wouldn't know where to start myself. please call or text as I don't often get to my email 8 one94559 area code 208

This is all he said! Kinda grilled the poor fella from what i read.
      John & Diane Kelly

Comment

Dave, I didn't see a price. These boats have been coming out of the bushes for years and they are almost always fairly priced. Lots of people just want them off there property and they practicly give them away.
        Greg James

Comment

Originally posted by Marvelous, post: 25156
          This is all he said! Kinda grilled the poor fella from what i read.
          If you carefully read what I wrote, you will see that I did not grill the gentleman, or even discuss his boat. I merely made the observation that it seems like recently in my view at least that there been a lot of boats coming out that have been in storage for some time.

My opinion is generally do not include my opinion of either people trying to sell a boat, or the boat they are selling. Those opinions as is been pointed out to me in the past are not allowed on this website. I will respect that a lot in future comment on a boat for sale.

However, I reserve the right to make known my opinions regarding the used boat market.
          Dave

17 Skagit

Comment

Dave. I was looking in the photo area (Pictures and Albums) for a picture of your Skagit 17 or any boats come to think, and haven't found them.??
            Got pictures ??opcorn1:
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Helmer:

the Skagit 18 and 16 are in the shop getting worked on. Spent the last week a half traveling and they didn't turn a wheel while I was gone. Thank you for asking but I don't have anything to take a picture of yet.

In fact the closest I have is included with this post.
              Attached Files
              Dave

17 Skagit

Comment

[quote="DMCI, post: 25161"]If you carefully read what I wrote, you will see that I did not grill the gentleman, or even discuss his boat.

It's interesting, suddenly these boats that sat in the blackberries for an untold number of years are starting to come out

Sorry looks like his boat. Yes you have your opinion.
                John & Diane Kelly

Comment

Well, now I don't remember were I seen it but a 17 Skagit with a 55 Evinrude ? Any pictures of your 17? ( Maybe I am loosing it ;-)

What I find that is interesting is, we tend to find what we think is a very scarce hard to find model.
                  Like the Uniflite I got from Photo Rick.
                  That boat showed up and he jumped for it. I was able to trade him out of it.
                  The only other one I have seen was the Uniflite that John Nelson owned.
                  Now, it seems that we have quite a few of them, just not restored. Not so scarce it seems.

Now Marty is one to come up with some strange models. Some even he was not able to place that are a true one of a kind it seems.

A lot of boat models, well most all, if you through enough money and time at the restoration tend to come out looking pretty nice.

You show up at the launch with pretty much any of these old girls and your going to turn heads.
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen
                  1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                  1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                  Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                  2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                  http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

You show up at the launch with pretty much any of these old girls and your going to turn heads.

+1

Except it is always old guys!
                    John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                    Past Affairs:
                    '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Working...
                    X