Sea bright skiff charlie hankins built restored 0ct,2011

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea bright skiff charlie hankins built restored 0ct,2011

Rare Find meticulousey maintained By Owner who Donated to Local Sea Port Society ultimately On Display At Charlie Hankins Museum as Pictured.

1974 Holsclaw Trailer aquired in the Fingerlake Region of New York Fresh Water use in Real Good Condition New tires,New Bearings,New Hubs,5 NOS Holsclaw Hub Caps I paid over $100.00 a piece for Caps.

Britsh Silver Seagull 12-HP Outboard Used once and is in New Condition with All Manuals and Spare Parts.

Included with Sale is a nice Wooden Display Cradle and Anchor also Commemorative Edition John Gardner Hard bound Book Building Classic Small Craft complete Plans and Instructions for 47 Boats namely Sea Bright Skiffs,532 Pages with Pictures & Illustrations,and The Sea Bright Skiff Soft Cover Book by Peter J. Guthorn 250 Pages with Pictures & Illustrations.

British Seagull Wrist Watch which is New

This Boat is Registered as a 19-Foot however It Measures an Overall Length of 20-Feet when inquired Original Owner Said Charlie Hankins didnt want to Cut or remove the extra Foot of Lumber It was so nice and the extra Foot really Looked Great and made a Huge difference in Visual Lines and Handling.

This is lengthened traditional version of His Stock 16-Foot Skiff.

Built in the Winter of 1970 Lavallette,NJ By Charlie Hankins

The Stem and Stern post are each of one piece Natural Crook White Oak.

The Breast Hook,Transom Knees and Thwart Braces are Hackmatack Crooks.

The Rub Rails,Cap,Sheer Clamp are Single Length White Oak.

All planks are 5/8" White Cedar.

Ribs 3/4"x1-1/4" On 8" Centers and are Sprung From gunwal To Gunwal after the Hull is completely Planked.

This Hull has 24 such Ribs.

The Keel is 1-1/2" White Cedar of 2 Planks 23" at its maximum width and is made up with a 1/2"x1-1/8" Spline.

The Transom is from the same Stock and Joints are Splined.

Because Cedar is tender on Grounding a full length Shoe 1x6" Oak tapering on Both Ends is fared to the Forefoot and Stern post and Copper Riveted to the Hull.

Being 6" in the way of the Centerboard Slot each side offers a good bed for the Heads of the Bronze Carriage Bolts which are run up and secure Trunk Logs.

Water Line Length-16-Feet,7"

Beam At sheer-6"

Beam At water Line-4-Feet,10"

Freeboard Forward-30",least 19"

Stern-22"

Draft of Hull forward-3",maximum of center of lateral resistance 10",ft at Stern Post 8",Deck Sheer is 7",Bottom Rocker-3"

Rake of Transom 30 Degrees

Centerboard Construction:Lumber was selected for proper Grain to minimize warping 1-1/8"x5" White Oak PlanksDoweled with 3/8" Bronze Rods.

The Rudder Hangs by 3 Sets of Bronze Gudgeons which receive a 5/8" Bronze Rod which acts as a common Pin.

This allows the Rudder which has 4" more draft than the Hull to slide up the Pin when Grounding.

Sail Area-141 Square Feet,jib-30 Square Feet,Main-11 Square Feet.

All spars are Sitka Spruce Mast 15.6" Feet in length,3-1/2" at Its maximum Diametertapering to 2-1/4" at the Head.

Sprit is 16.6" 2-1/8" at Its maximum Diameter tapering to 1-1/2" at each End.

Boom Length is 12.6" 2" at its maximum Diameter tapering to 1-1/4" at each End.

Auxilliary Power:

Although originally fitted with a Bracket to receive a small Seagull Outboard the Motor was used only once as a trial,later not carried and finally the Outboard Bracket removed entirely.

Being an easily driven Hull a Zephyr is all that is neede to give Her way.

All original Build Documents and correspondence between Owner,John Gardner,Charlie Hankins Go with Sale Copies of Write Up In National Fisherman and Detailed Build Drawings ?

ALSO INCLUDED IS A WHEELED ENGINE STAND THAT THE SEAGULL RESTS ON WHEN OFF BOAT.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADDITIONAL PICTURES OF BOAT DISPLAY CRADLE,ENGINE STAND,ETC. EMAIL ME AT IGGERD@MSN.COM

CURRENTLY LISTED ON EBAY Item number: 160700902873
    Attached Files

Bruce !

Bruce ,If your wife is technically out of town from Scappoose go for it ! Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Neat! I used to have a 17 foot Jersey Beach Skiff very similar but I put an aluminum centerboard in mine and sloop rigged it. Becky never liked sailing with me unless there was no wind. Boat was pretty tender and I never was a truly skilled sailor. As I recall, I sold it in very nice shape with a 4 hp Merc outboard that was set up to run either off the internal tank or with a remote tank, and a very decent trailer for around 5 grand. After watching the movie that went along with the eBay listing, I would love to have that boat again!
      There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Chuck - heck the price first

Santa Claus would put me in the naughty category if I jumped at a $17,500 buy it now skiff. Last three boats averaged $250 or less. I could buy 70 classics for the skiff asking price. Then sell 35 to your and 35 to Marty so you would stay relatively even in your joint acquisition rush before New Years.
        Bruce H. Drake
        1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
        1957 Norseman 19' woodie
        1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
        1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Comment

Working...
        X