55 Gal Drum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 Gal Drum

Does anyone need a 55 gal drum to flush your outboard motor ? Price is "FREE". Come and get it by Mill Creek,Washington. charles.carey@comcast.net
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

What about flushing muffs?

This discussion begs the question about using hose flushing muffs to cool and flush the engine on the trailer rather than a barrel which are a little lighter.

Anybody use them or have a problem with same?

Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
    16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
    17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

Have used those for years and never had a problem with them. Presently have a set with larger rectangular cups but that's just to make sure I've got them positioned over the intake on the outboards.
      There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

I've used both the round and rectangular muffs as well as the old "bucket" trick. The nice thing about the 55 gallon drum is that you can actually check transmission shifts under minor loading as the prop is fully submerged in water and this is sometimes enough to catch stalling issues at idle speed shifting.

The muffs work great (provided you have the correct shape for your motor) plus they are far easier to pack up and take with you so you can flush saltwater out with just a garden hose. The different shapes allow for proper fitment on different motors, my Merc 1000 had a large, rectangular, water pickup on each side of the lower unit and if I used the round muffs it would suck air around them...
        Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
        1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Muffs or Not

I use muffs but they dont work on some of my motors, like the Mark 75. I often just use my big plastic barrel (same one as does the good Dr uses)

55 gal cans are great but heavy and not easily stored (wife complains about big old metal cans in the flower beds-for some reason)

Comment

Hey Guys give me a break, All i was trying to do is give a way this freaking drum to someone who JUST might want it and not have a NEG discussion about the pro's and con's of muffs compare to drums. LOL ! I was going to use it for my 10hp 1954 Johnson way back when but never did. No i have not been using this on my 115 Merc 4 stroke motor as i use muffs. But there are some very small hp motors that a drum works fine. [B]Now that my ad has been highjacked i will take it to the dump.B]

Comment

Hey Chuck, don't feel bad. I like 55 gallon drums. You turn them over and put a big dent in the top and you've got a great musical instrument. Of course, your price was a little high. By the time I took the Lummi Island ferry, which won't be in service for another week, and drove to Mill Creek and back, I'd have way too much money invested. On the other hand, if you had a lot of free old aluminum outboards to put in it, I might haul it to the recycle store and get enough money to buy a Big Mac.
              Seriously, I agree with Brian that it is nice to be able to test the shift on the motor under some load on the prop. Suppose if you ran it enough to put a sheen of oil on the water to keep mosquitoes from hatching, it would be great for motors that can be lifted up and over into the barrel. Come on guys. Let's help Chuck get rid of this drum without having to add to the landfill and empty his wallet in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by SkagitGuy, post: 23680
                [B]Now that my ad has been highjacked i will take it to the dump.B]
                Sorry Chuck. Didn't mean to highjack your classified add... I was really trying to convince someone out there that it is nice to have a barrel...
                Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Whoa! Didn't even know what highjacking is. Won't do it again. Just a simple question, sorry.

Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
                  16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
                  17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

Hey Guys, No problem. I have had that drum for about 10 years sitting under my deck without water in it and just thought i would just see if anyone would want it. Brian, there is sometimes a place for a drum as i know you where trying to pointing that out. And Jerry i could tow it to your dock to help hold it up if your homeowners assoc wants it. Dave, i do understand what you were pointing out as well about muffs / drums. I did have a smiley and a lol after all.

Comment

A drum will confirm you're pumping water. I had issues this year with one of Homelite's, two wasted trips to the lake after running them on the muffs only to find it would not pump water. So I purchased a drum to help diagnose the problem. Next trip out was not a problem. Free is a very good price as mine cost me $22.
                      Dick Johnson
                      1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
                      '57 Evinrude 18hp
                      '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                      '72 Johnson 6hp
                      '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
                      '65 Homelite 55
                      '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                      '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Chuck, bring the drum up to the clubhouse on Sept. 29 as we are having a crab feed that afternoon. We'll dish out the bottom of it and make some nice Caribean music with it. Might even trade you a crab dinner or two for it.

Comment

Working...
                        X