Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Reinell Runabout

Hi everyone,

I am a new member. I joined this community because I thought it would be a great place to get some advice about my boat. It's a 1960 Reinell runabout.
    I love your pictures of the various events over the years. I wish I would have known about this before now. I would have joined you. I love seeing your awesome boats- I am a sucker for those. I hope you did some fun outings in 2012.

I have owned this boat for about 9 years and I can't tell you how much I love it. Every time I was out on it (Lake Union and Lake Washington) I would get lots of smiles and waves. This boat was a lot of fun and very special to me. My first date with my wife was on this boat. We drank a bottle of "K Syrah" wine and stayed out late.

I got the boat & trailer near Saulkum, WA in the lot of a bait shop for $500. I destroyed the outboard it came with due to an (ahem) oil error. Over the years, I learned more about the motors, updated to a longshaft Evinrude with controls that I bought for $1200, had a bilge pump & switch installed for a couple hundred bucks, and had the transom reinforced with aluminum and added height for the long shaft.

I would like to get a bigger boat that fits my new family and a couple friends, so although it pains me to say it I need to find a new owner for my Reinell. I want to find someone who would love it as much as I did and my dream is to find someone who would want to restore it. I am willing to give away the boat and trailer for free to the right person.

I would also love to sell the outboard & controls for $400. So, in other words, my thought is to offer everything for $400 or come and get the boat and trailer for free. Does that sound like a good strategy?

Details: The trailer has a serial number from the WA State Patrol but doesn't have tabs. The windshield is not original. The hull has some areas that could use attention (e.g. 4 holes that the previous owner used for fishing pole holders, and some scratches from 60 years of enjoyment) but seems to be in great shape. Some soft spots in the floor need attention.

So you all are the local experts. What should I do? Can I find someone who would be excited to pick up this boat and restore it? Can I get any money out of it, especially the outboard which runs great? It pains me to let it go, but I want to get a bigger boat now that I have a family to cruise around with. Here are some pictures:

http://tinyurl.com/reinell-swb

EVINRUDE 35 MOTOR w/OMC controls: Runs great. MODEL: E35ELCTS, SERIAL: F0237623.

What is your advice?!? I am hoping for some guidance here-
    Scott Bellman in Seattle

Welcome aboard.
    Good story on your Reinell and I would hope someone might have a place for it.
    Me, well, I am just a tad boat heavy at the moment.

Again, Welcome aboard
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Scott,
      The boats without titles can languish but if you make the motor part of the deal it should move.Maybe try $500 without boat and $400 WITH so they get a little persuasion.
      Trading it may also be a way to get what you want while moving the family heirloom.
      The motor is a 1983 btw,should be good as it has a good ignition system and lower unit which fits many years.Those sell for $300 alone and controls are half of that.Pricing it at $400/all is more than fair.
      I`m still loaded with boats as they multiply like Ducks once in the yard.
      TimM
      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
      SeaRay 175BR
      Hi-Laker lapline
      14` Trailorboat

Comment

Clean title

By the way, I do have the title for the 1960 Reinell and it is registered through June 2013.

Thanks for the advice so far. Other comments are much appreciated.

Scott Bellman

Comment

As the one time owner of four of these beauties (I have reduced it down to just one now!) I can appreciate the love affair. One of the boats I sold was to a good friend that works at a high end street rod fabrication shop in Auburn. He is about a year into the restoration and it is turning out fantastic. There are two other employees there that call about once a month to see if I know of any others. I will point them in the direction of your thread and see if they are interested.

My advice regarding the boat and motor package would be to split them up. That Evinrude is a great little motor and most likely will be able to power what ever larger boat you may find. You can also get a fair amount for the motor package here or craigs list. Jetabout models look fantastic with a period correct motor hanging on the back and I would hope that who ever ends up with this gem would take that route. If you do end up giving the boat part away I would love to be first in line. I have covered space for it and would be happy to take care of it until the right owner/restorer comes along! Good luck and keep us all posted!

By the way, I have quite a few photos of the "guts" of these boats if you or someone you know decides to tackle the floor. I have documented the ones that passed through my care over the past several years.
          BRIAN FRANCHINI
          LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

I spoke with Adam at Wicked Fabrication and he definatly wants the boat/trailer portion and I will talk to him about the motor package for $400 as well. Is the boat in the Seattle area?

Thanks,
            Brian
            BRIAN FRANCHINI
            LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

I think Adam tried to e-mail but was having trouble getting it to go through. You can contact him directly at two five three 350 four 0 six 0.
              BRIAN FRANCHINI
              LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Still available

Adam is going to take a look on saturday. I'll post an update on Sunday. Any questions or additional advice, let me know. Thank you- Scott

Comment

1960 Reinell Sold- thanks everyone!

The boat sold today, $400 for everything. I think the new owners are excited. This forum is awesome- lots of great people here. I heard from a lot of people. Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                  X