No announcement yet.

Snohomish River Run

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowell ! When you are talking about Otter Island and you say it's best to have a pair of rubber boots, because your shoes will get somewhat sticky and brown ,is that Otter poop you are talking about and maybe birds in the area to watch means bird poop too ? OMG ! Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Remember Lowell, ChuckC doesn't do "sticky" or "brown" and certainly not together! I'd be there but I'll probably have to work...
      Ditto
      "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 9830
        Lowell ! When you are talking about Otter Island and you say it's best to have a pair of rubber boots, because your shoes will get somewhat sticky and brown ,is that Otter poop you are talking about and maybe birds in the area to watch means bird poop too ? OMG ! Chuck

Comment

This is an event that I really wanted to go to but, being so far behind on things, I have not even looked at my boat as of yet.

I would trust that there will be a captains safety meeting at the beginning of the event.

Nothing worse than one or two running off and the rest trying to figure out the game plan.......
          Helmar Joe Johanesen
          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

There's room in my boat for ya if your's isn't ready.

It even runs now ...

Comment

Questions answered out of order

No and yes to those questions, or to make it a little clearer. The brown and sticky stuff will have a slight hint of salt water but very little as you get closer to the boat ramp. Close to the ramp there is less salt so there is a good fresh water flush. The boat ramp is up the river, also salt water is denser than fresh and will tend to sink and not be on the surface. You will not be able to taste or smell it but I would still flush out your motor when you get home.

In this section of the river and sloughs there are no mussels, barnacles or kelp growing. About the poop-- nope, none found, but hey we can only hope it's otters, it would be an indication of life that could be more interesting and fun than ours.

Yes there will be a float plan with a sweep boat, there will be a lead boat and someone to bring up the rear. Cell phones work good in this area, put them on vibrate. I will pass out charts and will lead the group through the water ways and wait for boats that can't maintain the 10 knots speed. For those seeking speed there will be a strech where you can get up to max speed for 3 to 4 miles.

Please arrive early enough to have your boat in the water by 1200 hours and ready for take off. I would allow 1/2 to 1 hour for launching. This trip is tide dependant. Don't arrive late as late arrivails will not be met with a smile or wave as we will be gone towards Ebby Slough. I will be there at 1100 hrs and waiting. The Everett Parks Dept charges 5 dollars to launch. No change machine so bring them small bills.
              1956 Enduracraft Monterey
              1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
              1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Helmar, if you ride with Tim, bring a kicker motor.

Sorry Tim, I couldn't stop myself.
                Steve Kiesel
                1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_Kiesel, post: 9885
                  Helmar, if you ride with Tim, bring a kicker motor.

Sorry Tim, I couldn't stop myself.
                  No worries about the Bearcat.
                  Not to put anyone down but those are the most simplistic motors to work on than Any Outboard.
                  Way to many things that are just like Automotive stuff. Real coil, Real points, Real condenser, none of this power pack crap that just seems to take a dump ever year..

Like I said, I can make them run and have as long as I go back over and make sure I don't miss the stupid things, like I have.
                  And the Carbs. Simpler than most lawn mowers
                  Not a complicated engine at All for a half mechanic.

Besides, Tim figured out what HE did wrong with the motor.
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen
                  1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                  1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                  Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                  2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                  http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

I agree Helmar. Those are great motors for a lot of reasons. I just couldn't pass up the chance to rib Tim.
                    Steve Kiesel
                    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Hey! What do you mean what I did wrong with the motor? It wasn't me ... just a piece of crud in the needle and seat.

And yes Steve, I fired up one of the kickers the other night ...

If you tow someone for two and a half hours you earn the right to rib them !

Comment

Working...
                      X