No announcement yet.

March 27th--Snohomish River and Sloughs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be there! Cheryl will not be joining me on this one. Therefore I think I will dewinterize the little one seater Texas Maid. See ya all there!
    Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

What is the restroom situation like along the river? It's been several years since I have done this one and I can't remember. I have a potential passenger but restrooms are critical for her.

I am still trying to dig the Chris Craft out from under the winter project storage in the garage if I can get some friends to come and get her out and fired up I will be there...
      Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
      1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Will be there as long as the weather holds out. GregJ might be coming with me as well. I thought i would bring the Skagit but after pulling it out of the shelter i saw a area i really should paint over,but this would be a good time to take her out for a first spin ( for me ) on the high sea's or river so i'am going to bring it anyway....as long as it is not pouring. Chuck
        Attached Files
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Restrooms and the weather

There are restrooms at the launch, then again about 3 miles up the river then 6 miles up but nothing after that. In Snohomish they have a step cement boat ramp no docks and it is a 10 minute walk one way to the restrooms. We could stop at the restrooms again on the return trip from Snohomish then head into the sloughs. So the timing would go something like this-- restrooms at 20 minutes then again in 1 hour after that then 1 1/2 hours after that. Of course there are lots of places to pull off to the side and go into the reeds, best to bring boots.

Bring a lunch and water as there are no cafes along the route.

If it is raining in the morning I will drive to the launch maybe by the time 9 AM arrives it will have slowed down or stopped.
          1956 Enduracraft Monterey
          1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
          1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Damn, the weather is good, guess I'm out of excuses to not show up.
            :Shocked:

See everyone there...

Comment

What an adventure ...

I'll let others tell their story of the trip, as for me ... well, here's a short video that pretty much sums it up.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc8JTdk6xsg"]YouTube - Sno River 2011.3gp[/ame]

Comment

Tim, is that a rope I see between you and Ross?

It was an interesting day. Three boats broke down, two were towed back to 10th street. Boy, it's a good thing Tim Jones educated us on towing last year. Gordon already had pre-made sling onboard and ready to go.

It was still a fun day. The ride up to Snohomish was a little wet, cold and windy. But the sun was out all the way back, felt good.

Here's a few shots I took.
                Attached Files
                Steve Kiesel
                1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Lowell what a great day seeing all of the people that could make it.Thanks for the great time you put on. GregL,Holly,GregJ and myself boated together in my Skagit ( lots of room ! ) on the Snohomish river with the weather not being all that bad. At the same time it was a chance for me to get the feel of the Merc 4 Stroke and the boat itself. Got her home,washed,engine flushed,towel dryed and into the shelter before the next rains come. Chuck
                  Attached Files
                  1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                  1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Snohomish River Run

Lowell, Thanks for organizing the run on Sunday. While it wasn't without some mechanical challenges every one returned safely to the docks we started at. My deck hand / brother in law (Lunatic Les) made a comment he was impressed with the way everyone watched out for each other. We had a great time, and I may have the distinction of Last Hommie Standing. Not bad for the 5 gallons of fuel used for the trip... Looking forward to the next meet. - Ross
                    Ross Henson

Comment

Bryant 21 and motor for sale...cheap ...really cheap!

Thanks to Lowell for once again leading a very enjoyable outing up the Snohomish river and through the numerous sloughs. Though we didn't make it very far upriver in our Homelite under-powered junkyard dog, Holly and I enjoyed the adventure of limping back to the launch on kicker power with the Commode Door and ChuckC performing babysitting duty. The 10 horse mill pushed the boat almost as well as the 55 offered by the 4-stroke piece of scrap, prompting Holly to ponder the possible benefits of placing 3 trolling motors on the transom instead? :GoodJob:

Our trip resumed aboard the lovely Skagit "Bainbridge" with Chuck and GregJ. Between the great company, the fresh restoration and the modern 4-stroke technology - my numerous boat projects have taken on another level of enthusiasm/understanding by my partner after this three-hour tour with the gang from the Northwest Classic Boat Club. Boat or not, this is the place to be for good boats (Bryant not included!) and great friends.

We look forward to debuting our '60 Glastron very soon...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Yes, thanks to Lowell for leading this one, despite the setbacks it was great to be out there with you guys. I especially enjoyed seeing Ross, at the other end of the tow rope! Slo-mo's boat may have been under-powered, but mine was un-powered.

While cruising at about 4000 rpm, Cindy was telling me that we needed a larger boat, with a more powerful, quieter motor, (am I a lucky guy or what? ) and at that exact moment the Homelite made a noise something like ball bearings in a blender, except not nearly that pleasant, and seized up tight. Oh goody. Ross, thanks for towing me back in.

Here's a few photos of Chuck in his gorgeous new baby, Ingavr in his baby boat, and Gordon showing how to get towed in style.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Oh, oh, sounds like you forgot to mix the oil with the gas for that Homelite
                          There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

I had a great time. I don't get to be a passinger to often but thanks to Chuck all I had to do is just sit there and enjoy the scenery and the great company. Greg Lamp was finally able to make an event with a boat and bring his wonderful significent other (Holly) along. Gregs' engine started to make some bad noises so they put it on the trailer and joinded Chuck and I for the rest of the day.Holly is from a boating family so she and Greg were a pleasure to have on board. There dog Cooly had to sit it out in the car. Next time Cooly comes with me. Maybe I should sell my boat and be a rider for now on. Thanks Chuck and a big thank you to Lowell for leading this great event. We should make this an annual thing. I have soloed the Snowhomish many times but it's alot more fun doing it with friends. Good to see every body. I think the break downs could have happened in a much worse situation like up at Stehekin. That would be a 29 mi. tow. VeryBigSmile
                            Greg James

Comment

Lowell,

Sorry to have missed the Snohomish event! Where can I find a map of the delta?

Richard.

Comment

I too had fun, something was missing.

Thank you everyone for coming along, I enjoyed seeing and talking to you all.

I think there was something missing though-- we had no lunch gathering so we could not just enjoy chatting with each other and catching up on what everyone was doing. Next year when I lead it, I'll try to remember to somehow include a lunchstop for an hour or so. A thought came to me just now, if there are no docks to tie too. Why not anchor in the middle of a wide slough and everyone raft up!!!

I plan on leading the trip every spring, it is hard trying to find a date when high tide happens in the middle of the day. This spring the 17th was the only date that could've worked.
                                1956 Enduracraft Monterey
                                1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                                1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Working...
                                X