No announcement yet.

Stehekin Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We won't make it again this year, but we are hoping for next year. The boat is closer every month, just not there yet.

We are taking the old Blue boat over the last weekend of September for mahogany and Merlot and hope to do a fast run to Stehiken with the ACBS folks on Friday.
    Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
    Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

I'm looking forward to Stehikin. It is a long trailer trip, however, and in checking my trailer tires I was advised by Discount Tire that they can no longer service a tire that is over ten years old regardless of tread wear. This rule apparantly applies to all tire dealers. After that time the rubber becomes brittle and entire sections can break off.

Richard Amberson

Comment

Richard, I'm glad you can make it. See you Sat. mourning.
        Greg James

Comment

Originally posted by woodenboatfogey, post: 18857
          I'm looking forward to Stehikin. It is a long trailer trip, however, and in checking my trailer tires I was advised by Discount Tire that they can no longer service a tire that is over ten years old regardless of tread wear. This rule apparantly applies to all tire dealers. After that time the rubber becomes brittle and entire sections can break off.

Richard Amberson
          What size tire do you have? I have a set of older 215/?R15 on 5 lug wheels you can have as backups (older tires with some checking but still usable, I replaced rims and the new ones came with brand new tires)
          Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
          1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Potluck Saturday Night

I will bring some potato salad and happy hour snacks.
            1956 Enduracraft Monterey
            1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
            1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Chelan

Everybody,I am in Chelan. If you are coming here be ready for heat. It's 530p right now and 97 digs. but it's a dry heat. Susie walked down town after lunch and she came back lookin like a tomato. Sat. Sun.and Mon. forecast is for 90+, clear and the wind will be slight. Should be a great week-end. See ya in the a.m..
              Greg James

Comment

Great Trip!

For those of you who don't have the time to read the following novel, please see the summary of the trip at the end. Those of you who have nothing better to do, read on ...

Once again we enjoyed the benefits of boating as a group, from both a safety standpoint and just for having fun. On the way up, just before Domke Falls, Greg and Susie unfortunately experienced what appears so far to be the failure of their lower unit. Their super-reliable 50hp Evinrude finally forced them into the ranks of the "Yeah, I had to be towed back in" club. Greg was the first to point out the silver lining in this particular dark cloud was that it perfectly illustrated the effectiveness of (and need for) our safety procedures.

Sticking together for the trip meant that the moment Greg and Susie had trouble the rest of us knew it and were right there to assist, which at first meant keeping the breeze from drifting them into the rocky shore while Greg opened the cover and checked things out, then wasting no time in rigging for towing and getting them on their way back to the launch when Greg determined that there wasn't anything he could do on the water to solve the problem. Lowell was the hero of the day as he gave up his time to tow them back in while Brian and Michelle, Richard and Brendan and I continued to Stehekin. We made the decision as a group that we would split up since conditions were good and there was nothing in the forecast that indicated that they would change. Everyone being equipped with a radio meant that communication was easy and immediate, with no one wondering what was going on with anyone else or what the plan was. The group had a problem, we were prepared for it, we handled it safely and quickly and the trip went forward smoothly.

The campers (Brian, Michelle, Brendan and I) set up camp at Weaver Point while Richard relaxed in the shade with a cold beverage and congratulated himself for having the wisdom (of his many, many years) to reserve a room at the resort. We really appreciated Richard's guidance on pitching camp, offered from his comfy seat in the shade, between sips and swallows. Once we had camp set up and Richard had finished his icy beer and delicous sandwich, we joined him in the very welcome shade and waited for Lowell to arrive. When Lowell arrived at the dock we were happy to hear that Greg and Susie made it back to 25 Mile Creek without incident, but more importantly, that Lowell had returned with all their food including a giant ziplock bag of Susie's amazing cowboy cookies. We all agreed that rescuing Greg and Susie was a nice thing to do and all, but managing to return with their food was a stroke of genius, above and beyond the call of duty. We salute you sir!

Seriously though, as we sat enjoying cold drinks and snacks in the shade while Lowell extended his time in the very hot sun and gave up hours of his time looking after Greg and Susie, we discussed that a thank you from the club for his efforts was in order and that a precedent should be set for club members that do the same in the future. I proposed that the club extend a complimentary 2 year membership to Lowell as a thank you, both for being a good samaritan and for exemplifying the spirit of the club. All present were in favor, so Lowell, I hope I'm not embarrassing you too much by asking you to please accept our thanks and NWCBC membership through the end of 2013.

After dinner we sat around the camp fire talking and laughing and enjoying the evening air as it cooled from the heat of the day. Brian especially had us falling off our chairs as he first demonstrated the proper use of a 2-legged chair and then explained that the possible stuffing box leakage his Chris - Craft was experiencing was not a big deal since ... he had brought a snorkel. Eventually, the firewood ran out and the brightest things visible were the stars, which by the way were incredibly bright and clear, and we all stumbled into our tents (or cabin, in Lowell's case) and passed out. I was astounded to see that it was 1:15 am when we finally turned in, this old geezer usually has a hard time staying up past 9:30! (Susie, what was in those cookies?) The next morning I paddled away from the dock at 6:00 am and spent a couple of hours fishing and cruising the glassy lake before breakfast. Lowell stayed on the lake for another day while the rest of us made the return trip, with the exception of a little chop which required us to slow down a little, conditions were wonderful and we had a very enjoyable cruise back to 25 Mile.

Thanks for a great time guys, the only thing I would change for next year is to move this event to a later date when it is a little cooler. I spent more time having fun and panting and less taking photos this year, so just a few to share below.

Tim

Trip Summary:
                Good weather
                Bad lower end
                Greg and Susie towed by Lowell
                Hurray Lowell!
                Cowboy Cookies
                Hurray Susie! Hurray Lowell!
                Really hot
                Really beautiful
                Bald eagle
                Fish
                Cowboy Cookies
                Hurray Susie! Hurray Lowell again!
                Snorkel
                Attached Files

Comment

The firewood ran out? In a forest?

Wish I could have made it, sounds like a great trip!

Comment

Originally posted by Sammamish1, post: 18944
                    The firewood ran out? In a forest?

Wish I could have made it, sounds like a great trip!
                    Yeah, they frown on burning the forest nowadays, so we brought our own firewood.

Comment

warning: Michele here jacking Brian's account.
                      The most heartfelt [B]THANK YOU![B] to Greg and Susie for planning an incredible event on Lake Chelan. It was put together impeccably, you were the host and hostess with the mostess, and it was absolutely unfair that your motor conked out The company was fantastic, the laughs were plentiful, the boats were looking fine, and all of Lake Chelan was breath-taking. I am in agreement with Tim that if this event could be extended into a 3 to 5 to 7 day affair it would be heaven for me and Brian.
                      Thanks again to everyone; it was a weekend to remember!
                      * - now to see if the blonde can figure out how to post pictures here .....
                      Brian Flaherty

Comment

Tim, Sorry to hear about Greg and Susie mishap. Sounds like you guys did however had a great time. Chuck
                        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Eventhough Susie and I did'nt make it all the way up the lake we still had a good time but we were really sorry we could'nt be with our friends awhile longer. A special thanx to Lowell for towing us the twenty miles back to 25 mi. creek. He was able to maintain a 7.5 mph all the way back so it was about a 2.5 hr. trip. That equates to probably about a $600 towing fee so I was more than willing to fill up Lowells gas tanks and give him all our food cowboy cookies included. Speaking of cowboy cookies, Tim was wondering what was in them. Hints; lots of laughs, ate all of them and probably all the other food in camp, home made and you all stayed up all night. All indications are that I fried my lower unit so I will try to get it fixed by Mayfield time then everybody can have some more COOKIES.
                          Greg James

Comment

Greg,

There's a four stroke out there calling out to you "buy me, buy me"

Comment

Greg, Why don't you give Tim up at Cascade Marine Services in Everett at the old Marine View bldg a call. Being he just started the business in April , i would think you could get a good deal on the repair work price on whatever you lower unit problem is. 425-303-0200 Chuck
                              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Wow!!! This was an amazing event, filled with beautiful scenery, (mostly) smooth waters, and hilarious company.

Like all the others have said, a special thank you is owed to Greg and Susie for organizing this event. Was a real shame to see a normally reliable motor conk out. Also the food and cookies were awesome!!

I am working on my "water" leak tonight and the theory of the shaft packing leaking appears to be to simple. So I will be digging deeper into the hull this week to try and figure out where all the water was coming from ...

Really enjoyed this weekend, and if the club does this event again next year we will be there (hopefully for a couple more days).

Hope to see you all at Mayfield or Mason!!!
                                Attached Files
                                Brian Flaherty

Comment

Working...
                                X