Stehekin Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offer is Declined.

When Greg asked me to tow his boat back to 25 Mile boat launch, I did what any Mariner should do, come to the aid and assist if it does not put you or your boat in peril. I do not want any compensation and decline the generous offer. What I wanted was those cookies. I got them and a wonderful thank you, so all is perfect in my world. The tow made me slow down and enjoy the scenery at a much slower pace. Remember I’ve came through the ranks as a sailor and kayaker and that towing speed was just right, just a little faster than kayaking and I didn’t have to tack 30 times to go a mile upwind.

After everyone left on Sunday I went over to Stehekin, rented a bike and rode up to Rainbow Falls and got a Ranger tour of the pioneer apple orchard with a stop at the bakery on the way down. It was so hot I jumped in the lake twice. In the evening there was another Ranger talk on bears and learned they are more afraid of me then I of them.

Monday morning I started down lake with a little wind off my stern by the time I made it to 25 Mile Creek I was going about 15 knots to keep control in the following seas. By Domke Falls I spotted 6 mountain goats. It was an enjoyable trip, I wish to thank both Greg and Tim for leading it. This should be a boat trip on everyones bucket list.
    1956 Enduracraft Monterey
    1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
    1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Glad to see you all had a good time on The Lake. You picked a good weekend for it. My plan was to boat up and say hi, but I was on your side of the mountain at a car show. Nice weekend for that also. My son and I have done an annual weekend up lake for about 12 years now, always in late Sept or the first part of Oct.. The weather has always been good, warm days, cool nights and only one time did we run into wind and rough water. The Lake is pretty quiet that time of year, sometimes it seems like we have the lake to ourselves. We always pack our fire wood in and have always been able to have a fire. Sometimes in late summer you cannot, even in fire pits, because of the fire danger. Maybe next year I can stop and say hi.

Comment

Good idea.

George I've heard that from a number of people that the Lake is alot calmer late in the summer early fall. October usually is a rainy month on the west side. If we did the trip in October that would increase our boating time by a month. I'll make that suggestion when we plan the trips for next year. Thank you
        1956 Enduracraft Monterey
        1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
        1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

But for you west siders, the mornings in October are COLD...
          "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Lowell, I'm all for doing the Stehekin thing on maybe the last week-end of Sept. next year. This year there was not much of a choice because it was felt that the Mayfield event had to be scheduled in Sept. and the Mason Lake event has to be scheduled whenever Thom can get the park usually in Sept.also. June?
            Greg James

Comment

What Greg said

I'd like to move it back too. I'd rather have the heat of the day be tolerable and bundle up at night. Definitely a consideration for the planning meeting.

Comment

Keep in mind Mahogany and Merlot is the last weekiend of September/First weekend of October every year. Thunderboats from the hydroplane museum running at Chelan. Either a positive or a negative depending on your opinion.
                Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
                Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Working...
                X