Opening Day 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening Day 2013

So I just registered for Opening day this year. Our class is in group H. Which is a lot of fun because half of the parade is behind us so you still get to enjoy it. We could register as a fleet if 2 other boats decide to do it. Anybody interested? Brian?
    :Skipper1: Sean Kuhlmeyer, JD
    (Sean the Lawyer in Seattle)
    1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan - "Solstice"

HORAY! Going boating, maybe?

Sean:

I should be good to go, if I'm not in the dentist chair or recovering therefrom or away on business. I should have the Skimaster ready to go by then. I also need timing to be able to schedule a crew person (First Mate).

However, I am scheduled to take a trip early to mid May so I need more details, if possible or at the earliest possible date, including the following:

1.) What are the dates?
    2.) Where will we launch from?
    3.) Is there adequate parking?

Unfortunately, my instinct tells me, that the thing logistically will be a mess as is every activity associated with the big city, but I understand the club has done this in the past so maybe will be able to take advantage of that experience.

Looking forward to a fun day at the parade!
    Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
    16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
    17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

Opening day is Saturday May 4th. You can either launch in Lake Union (anywhere you like) and then get to the stagging area at Portage Bay (in front of Seattle Yacht Club) in time for your letter to go through the parade. You also have the option to launch in Lake Washington and get yourself through the cut into Lake Union before the crew races start at 9 am. Parking can be a little hectic around the launch ramps if you get there too late as this is a huge event for the Seattle area boating community, but if you get to your ramp before 10 ish there's typically still parking available...

We will be participating with the ACBS group again this year (grandma is willing to help tend to baby Declan) we might even take the 38ft Tollycraft instead of our little Chris Craft runabout..

If you are into costumes / themed events and enjoy seeing other people's creativity displayed on their boats then this event is well worth all the hassles!!! I have been in every Opening Day parade since 1985 and I plan on getting Declan in at least the next 18 (if he'll let me)...

You can see the official theme and regulations on the Seattle Yacht Club website:
      http://www.seattleyachtclub.org/Defa...d=164107&vnf=1

Again, I think every Seattle area boater should at least attend this event once in their lifetime....
      Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
      1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Last year I launched from the 14th Ave. Boat Ramp in Ballard. Parking was okay. I launched at the same time as many of the Steamies. We launched really early, and lunched, and lounged on the water, but this year I might try to find somewhere to tie up, or raft with some other people. In H class, which is open to powerboats older than 40 years, we go through pretty early and still plenty of time to enjoy the rest of the parade. Brian, if you are going through with ACBS, what class will you be in? I'm going to try to coordinate with some other boating people who aren't in the parade to see if they can save us some space once we pass through. I will have my 4yr old son, and friends 3yr & 1yr old, all lined up saluting the admiral as we pass by in review. Is anybody else intersted in going through in H class or as a 'fleet'?...

Comment

Last year, I watched the Steamies, all meet in Portage bay, and raft up together. That worked really well for them. If we go through as a fleet I suggest we do the same thing. All we will have to do is agree on a meet time in Portage bay, and exchange cell phone numbers, because we have to monitor the marine radio for the parade master's instructions.

Yes it's a madhouse, but it's not too bad once you're on the water...

Comment

Now I have to cancel. Darn!

Well today, I found out my boat won't be ready on time. Motor is there but the gauges are backordered for at least a little while. Then Monday I have to go in for oral surgery and then it will take a little while for me to heal up.

Sorry about that, I thought everything would be ready by then.
            Dave

17 Skagit

Comment

Originally posted by Seanfromseattle, post: 24787
              Brian, if you are going through with ACBS, what class will you be in?
              Sean, ACBS is typically in the "S" or "T" catagories just like NWCBC used to be. It is either the "Novelty decorated" or the "Group Spirited" class.
              Brian Flaherty

Comment

Brian, Why is the ACBS, or NWCBS, in 'S' - Novelty Decorated or 'T' - Spirit? That doesn't make any sense? Last year I registered in 'H' - Classic Power Under 40', and I certainly wasn't alone in classic fiberglass. In fact I remember that there was another Glasspar, and a Chris Craft fiberglass in 'H'. They also had a 'sneaker' in 'H', because I got to talking to one of the Steamies when they pulled out, and turns out that his boat one isn't old at all. The guy I was talking to built his boat almost from scratch, his hull was new fiberglass that he made a mold from another steamie, then he built most of his boiler, and scrounged some antique parts. So his boat, wasn't even 'old'. So why are you relegated to the end of the parade? Is that because you want to be in Spirit, or Decorated? I don't get it. Why don't you come up and parade in H?

DMCI, you realize that it's a month away, right? And it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to run without gauges for one day....

Everybody else. I don't understand why there is such lack of interest for opening day from our club. I mean what better way is there to promote our club, and old boats, that to join a parade? Really, I don't get it?!?.....

Can someone fill me in?

Comment

Sean, It's simple, there just isn't a lot of interest after doing that pirate 7 or 8 times.
                  Greg James

Comment

Greg, Well call me and Brian strange then, but I think opening day is a blast. This year we had to invite just one couple from our friends, because so many want to take a boat ride, and the idea of being in the parade was the top of the list. In fact we had to tell the friends we invited, that next year we probably have to invite a different couple, because so many want to join us for the parade. So, I'll just chalk that up to something I just don't 'get', and I'll continue to invite the rest of you all....

Comment

I share Brian and Sean's frustration about the lack of enthusiasm within our circles, regarding gatherings in any form, much less opening day.

The party aspect of Opening Day doesn't interest me at all, but any excuse to take some time off to get on the water does. I don't blame the regulars for being reluctant to sit around all day, but there are plenty other guys that need some water time.

Holly and I are game to join Sean 's proposed armada, if there are others willing to commit...otherwise I'll be working.

Greg

P.S. pull that tarp off already!

Comment

When I all my toys lined up and organized, I said I want to be there almost as much as you Greg.

Waiting for stuff to put in them. Then after a reasonable time for a shakedown cruise, I will be good to go.

I just found out, that my new red boat has built-in fiberglass tanks (I think?). So that will have to be dealt with as well. 90 Merc will go on that boat, and the 60 on the blue boat. Will have to talk to the fabricator about new tanks the red boat as well. That will cause some additional delay as the fabricator can't get to the thing until April. (Fish boats always have priority over some nut with a fiberglass runabout.)
                        Dave

17 Skagit

Comment

Many of us who participated year after year are just over it. The day is LOOOOOONG, it's hurry up and wait all day. It was fun for the first few years then it got to be a hassle. Idling all day is not my idea of boating fun unless I have a line in the water.
                          :catchfish1:
                          Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
                          Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Sean,

ACBS has been participating in the parade since its birth sometime in the late 70's and they have done almost every class available. They go for the group spirit class because they are a "fleet" and technically speaking the "H" class is for individual boats only... Also, ACBS is "in it to win it" they are really into the costumes and themes and they work hard to win the Spirit trophy every year (this was a major factor in our decision to start participating with them instead of leading NWCBC).

Like you, I don't really understand how everyone got so bahumbug about the parade. I always have more people wanted to come along than I have seats for. Perhaps, if you can get some interest from the NWCBC, we might be persuaded to come back, but for now we are going with the group that still has the passion for the event's true nature...
                            Brian Flaherty

Comment

Get out there!

Originally posted by Seanfromseattle, post: 24797
                              Edit.......

Everybody else. I don't understand why there is such lack of interest for opening day from our club. I mean what better way is there to promote our club, and old boats, that to join a parade? Really, I don't get it?!?.....

Can someone fill me in?
                              Kudos to Sean and Brian for pushing fwd and showing some spirit.
                              I think some of us have been spoiled with perfect days of no waits,no lines and no strangers to chat about what year and where your boat came from.
                              Seattle has a melting pot of boats and people who own or work on (and sometimes even both)and Opening Day is a rare time when ALL are showcased and given equal bill.....rank or letter doesn`t seem to matter when you get "the Rockstar Treatment" as you gather ,stage and then finally rush thru the Cut during the actual 5 minutes of parading.
                              After the Parade ,most scatter while a few remain waiting to return back thru the Parade route after all have been given their chance.
                              Watching 10` and 100` boats nose up to the Fireboat as it clears the course gets dicey as boats of all sizes and power are forced to jockey and line up.
                              There used to be THOUSANDS of more boats out there,ramps used to be really choked and now we really are spoiled as you can almost go Boating
                              any day ,anytime and always find parking and dockspace.
                              The logboom is Free for rafting and could be used if some wanted the experience from just the spectator side of it.You line up at the end and there is room these days for sure.
                              For me ,Opening Day has been the cheapest event to attend and has always gotten me more enthused for the boating season.:GoTeam1:
                              It has also been one of the coolest things I`ve done and with some of the best people in this Hobby.
                              I`ve had to sell off most of my fleet to survive the past year, but hope to attend if I can pull it off yet again.
                              Jack ,we can go fishing the day after if you like......Lingcod time.:catchfish1:
                              Pics to follow of past events....
                              TimMattson
                              Seattle
                              unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                              15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                              SeaRay 175BR
                              Hi-Laker lapline
                              14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
                              X