Skagit River , and Baker Lake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skagit River , and Baker Lake

In Sept. Clint is planing on a river cruise from La Conner up to Mt Vernon. Launching at the Ramp next to La Conner Bridge . Bring a lunch
    for we might raft together up-stream . If you R interested let us know, for we looking at the tides and weather for this trip.

Baker Lake . Have U ever been to this Senic Lake? If not , well now is your chance . Ingvar is heading this trip and one of the high lites are to explore the many water falls that U can drive our boats right up to. Let me know if this is of interest to U. Ingvar - 206-434-9482
    Ingvar (Swedster) Carlson

Sounds like a party, if I'm ready I'm in

I got the new prop installed on the Skimaster, and I'm now working on finishing installing the electronics. So if it's ready I'll go.

Tomorrow though I'm on my way out of town to pick up a sportster that reportedly is in decent shape. If it is, then I will buy it and later put a trailer hitch on my car so I can use it with the sportster for long trips in land or whatever. It currently has an 18 Merc on it, but that is a bit small and I have a Merc 40 in stock that I will put on it. The boat currently has a left-hand steer which will need to be corrected and converted to push pull rather than a rope steer. It is blue-and-white just like my ski master.
    Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
    16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
    17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

I have seen several types of Skagit 14. Utility with a open cockpit. Sportster which looks just like the Skimaster but only smaller and then the one Marty had which was a dual cockpit rig?? Never seen one of them nor do I know what it was called.
      You might be surprised how well she preforms with that 18 too.
      The 40, should pull a skier with no problems too..

Also, the boats are starting to add up and your going after another one. I wonder if you need to be introduced to the NMB Club ?
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Skagit River run

Dave : For the Skagit river run you don't need alot of electronics , All you really need is a depth sounder that measures in inches VeryBigSmile
        Attached Files
        Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

As far as electronics, I am a ham radio operator so the bigger the better..
          Did you know you have better coverage with Ham Radio than you do with cell phones
          My little hand held Garmin, I could pick a Tide station marker and it would re-adjust to the proper tide level. I like stuff like that myself...

If your talking inches and not feet, Sounds like one thing you need for sure, bring a spare prop :Scared2: Follow the leader..
          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

My Ski Master has a brand-new Merc 60 with a similarly new four blade cupped propeller. Words like "bring a spare prop" are very reasonable and somewhat scary. Those new wheels run several hundred dollars, the risk that this stage I am not prepared to run. I grew up about 10 blocks from the Skagit in Sedro Woolley and most of my friends that were steel headers, especially the guides ran big outboards with jets on the river.

On the other hand, Baker Lake doesn't offer much of a threat to the hardware. I will show up for that one as soon as I get everything ready. The weather report for the foreseeable future is nothing but rain.

The Ski Master is sitting outside my shop with a tarp on it and about 5 gallons of rain collected in the Valley so far . The former owner did a decent job with the house wiring but I need to add fusing and transfer wiring for the electronics.
            Dave

17 Skagit

Comment

Originally posted by DMCI, post: 25799, member: 1896

On the other hand, Baker Lake doesn't offer much of a threat to the hardware. I will show up for that one as soon as I get everything ready. The weather report for the foreseeable future is nothing but rain.
              Actually baker lake is notorious for destroying hardware... There is a lot of driftwood and stumps in the lake all year long. I think mostly because there is no development around the lake to stop the debris from falling in. The stumps are due to it being a man made lake and the corp obviously never bothered to clear the trees before filling it up...

Don't get me wrong, we love baker lake and go at least once a year despite loosing two $400+ props and stainless shaft to the lake gods...
              Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
              1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Dave, no matter where you go, there's a chance of destroying a prop. True, some places a little worse than others. Always carry a spare prop, then your covered. Most damage can be repaired as opposed to just buying a new one. There is a great prop shop up in Mukilteo, they should have a refurbished prop to carry as a spare. http://www.propshopltd.com/
                Steve Kiesel
                1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_Kiesel, post: 25812, member: 9
                  Dave, no matter where you go, there's a chance of destroying a prop. True, some places a little worse than others. Always carry a spare prop, then your covered. Most damage can be repaired as opposed to just buying a new one. There is a great prop shop up in Mukilteo, they should have a refurbished prop to carry as a spare. http://www.propshopltd.com/

I ran Merc cruiser stainless wheels on my 27 Mirage more than 15 years and never damaged the wheel. The 60 currently has a four blade Mercury prop made out of aluminum on it. I have a similar stainless wheel on order and that will be the standard prop for the blue boat but that won't be in for a few weeks. In the meantime the four blade aluminum wheel is all I have. There is a three blade that came with the motor but it is a property of the dealership.

I understand your arguments, but I've never been a river runner and frankly the whole idea of doing so gives me the willies.
                  Dave

17 Skagit

Comment

Is this event even taken place ???
                    Delete the thread ???
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Am I just lucky, or what? In over 60 years of boating, I've never wrecked a prop badly enough that I had to replace it. In fact, I have never had a spare prop. Finally, there is no way I could get to my prop if the boat were in the water. Okay, and finally, finally, I don't have a kicker and almost always have gotten home without a tow. The God of boating must be watching over me.
                      There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Jerry, That makes two of us !.....knock-knock. I also try to look out for crabpots, big and little wood. Once in a while i hear a knock on the hull and the last time i saw later the depth sounder unit had turned up a little in it's holder on the stern. No big deal turning it back down when on the trailer. Chuck
                        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

As you all know, it turns out that I didn't make it to the Skagit River exercise. I was busy buying a new car (used) and getting it serviced and checked. Then the dental surgeon called me for an appointment that will be followed next week for the surgery. Believe me I would much rather be in Baker Lake. I will however be at the meeting on Sunday for pizza, etc.) notice of that will be given elsewhere on the site.

Don't get me wrong, I would've loved to go on both of those cruises.
                          Dave

17 Skagit

Comment

Originally posted by DMCI, post: 26026, member: 1896
                            As you all know, it turns out that I didn't make it to the Skagit River exercise. I was busy buying a new car (used) and getting it serviced and checked. Then the dental surgeon called me for an appointment that will be followed next week for the surgery. Believe me I would much rather be in Baker Lake. I will however be at the meeting on Sunday for pizza, etc.) notice of that will be given elsewhere on the site.

Don't get me wrong, I would've loved to go on both of those cruises.
                            November Meeting is Canceled. Not enough people stated they were coming so its now going to be in November 16th if I have anything to say about it......

Dave. Do you have time to look into what it might take for us to have a Electronic meeting maybe.
                            I am thinking maybe the meeting in Tacoma and maybe one up north, say LaConner?
                            Anyway, two places and something that did not cost the club a bunch of money but we can all talk back and forth.
                            This might be as simple as using two Smart Phones setting in the middle of a table?
                            Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Helmar:

large companies have this capability in specially prepared conference rooms. These generally include multiple TV cameras and a consol for the producer. At some expenditure you can rent this capability office whatever, but you need one in each end, etc.

We use in the Gleason four meetings between Rochester and the Germans in Stuttgart . I would say it is beyond the club's capability .

Your idea of having the meeting in Tacoma where everybody drives a little bit to a centroid is a good one .
                              Dave

17 Skagit

Comment

Working...
                              X