1957 Skagit convertable windshield

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 Skagit convertable windshield

I'm trying to find the starboard side windshield out of this boat and have not had any luck finding out what make and model auto they came out of. Does anybody have any ideas ? We've checked a Chevy truck and that was not it. I've had some leads but can't find a match. If you have any information let me know . Hope to see you all this spring!!
    Attached Files
    Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Windshields

I don't know if I have ever heard anyone come up with a solid answer on what windshields were used.
    It seems that they were different on different years. Some look the same, others don't

Stands to reason that they must have taken a Full car or truck window (heard of using both) and had it Cut for the split window applications.

I have a 1959 Skagit 20 Offshore and the helm window looks to be out of maybe a 59 ford pickup.
    Thing is, I have never had a 59 ford pickup or skaget next to each other.

Heck, it could have even been taken from a Chevy??

Its a good starter for a new sub forum. Who has information on Skagit Windshields?
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

windshields

The idea of a sub forum or some such on windshields is a great idea. Not only for Skagit's but all brands. I'd sure like to know where the windshield came from in my 404 Sedan too. Seems somebody is always looking for windshield information. Due to it's shape and the fact it has no stampings or markings on it I suspect mine might have been a rear window but it is really wide so who knows? Barry

Comment

windshield

Hi Rick
        The general thought for windshield has been 55 Ford. I am not sure if the hardtop and the sedan are the same. Is it possible to make a cardboard templet and have your friend at the glass company gain some info from the distibuter. A 1955 product is the logical year for the windshield since Skagits were started in late 1954. Quite a few of us with Skagits would like to know what windshield were used on the boats. I have talked to a trucker who delivered many automotive windshields to Skagit in the 50s. The Betty Boop that Bill and I got numbers off of was a one piece windshield. I can't find the numbers. Will be doing some shakedown tests starting in Feb. at Cambell Lake. I will let you know when if you want to ride in the Skagits. Clint

Comment

I have the plastic winshield piece that came out of the boat so my next step is to send it to a collector windshield company and see if they can match it ? Gets spendy when you go that route? If I get lucky and find the right one I will forward the info. Thanks for all the replies. See you all in the spring !
          Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Skagit bridge windshields

Skagit bridge windshields. This is a topic that has been kicked around for a long time with no definite answers.

From what I recall, the two piece windshield on the 57-58 and 59 20 footers were from 55 Ford sedans. Skagit went to the two piece because the 56 one piece windshields were from the 55 T Birds and were expensive.

According to the stories I've heard, they searched wrecking yards for the 55 windshields, but often the windshields had a flaw, a ding on one side. So they made the windshields two piece so they could get the dinged windshields cheap, cut off and discard the bad side.

The 17 foot express used a smaller windshield and I don't know what they were. The Tyee may also use the 55 Ford sedan. I'll make a paper pattern from (formerly) mine. Your 17 convertable is a fairly rare model. May share the same glass as the Tyee 20...?

Some vehicles used a different glass for different models, sedan, hardtop and convert....

That's what I know..... Good luck..

The bridge windshield on the Saratogan is from a 57 Chrysler. They also cut it in two, and then added a third flat glass center section.

McSkagit
            Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Working...
            X