Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pole Building Suggestions

I'm looking for design suggestions.

After having 3 Costco shelters take a dive over the last two winters, I'm going to bite the bullet and build a pole building on my property. I don't know how big the foot print will end up, but I would like to know how tall of garage doors I will need.

Mason Co. will let me build without getting it engineered if I keep the side wall height to 10 ft. Is that tall enough for a 25ft boat (I don't have one yet, but plan to in a couple of years).

Thanks,

Karl
    17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
    18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
    19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
    25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
    14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
    14' Stilleto

Karl, The only suggestion I can make is to build it as BIG as you can afford and fit on the property. I built a 40x52 four car garage with a carport off the side. It was the biggest, most beautiful shop I had seen when it was new. Now it is full to the rafters and I need another shop!

On a side note, I am a Architect and can make you a great, Classic Boat Club member price on a set of drawings. I have done several pole buildings and could use one of them, or stretch one of them on the computer to fit your needs. The engineering is huge on these buildings (King and Pierce are a nightmare for pole structures :eek so if you can get by without it, that is the way to go! An option to get more height and keep the 10ft side wall is to use a scissor truss. That way the center is closer to 12-14' depending on your pitch. It makes it a little tougher to hang garage door tracks, but better than building the entire shop 2-4' taller. Another thing to consider is the level of finish you are going to want. The pole buildings are great to get it up cheap, but if your intention is a insulated, sheetrocked building, a conventional frame building may be cheaper and easier. Good Luck!
    BRIAN FRANCHINI
    LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

I am not sure what the laws are up here in Washington but in Oregon, you can do ad ons of sorts.
      I was told by a shirt tailed friend at the County that I lived in that it was ok to build a car port, three bays.
      I poured a foundation for the 8x8's to set on and hold up the roof and covered it with gravel.
      I put a good metal roof on it.
      From that point, it was going to be brick wall at the back as it was up against a hillside that kept slufing down, then start framing in walls the next couple of years.
      About all I was able to do was us the heavy tarps around it but Hey, I had cover and could block the wind.

Where I am now its like Permit, Who needs a permit around here, Jefferson County will not come down to the end of the county to even inspect one that has been purchased.

I am going to do mine in sections anyway so I am interested in what others have to say here.
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

I just put in a new shop this fall. 32 x 40. 14 ft walls. My contractor specialize in pole building. Big difference is a plywood roof with 2 ft overhang. This gives some insulation eliminates roof condinsation.

Get as big as you can get or afford. I needed a retaining wall to get mine level and 105 yds of gravel. The pics are of the construction, my neighbor cleaning the driveway with my tractor, and my old storage.

It was filled in two days and there is no room for my rv trailer. I need to sell my 19' wood boat with duck blind an decoys.

Remember to shop around and ask whats the difference between you and the competitors.

Good Luck.
        Attached Files

Comment

Karl, I know what you are asking about as far as a pole building, but if you want to just upgrade from the Costco shelters style ,i have one that is 40' Long 10 high ( i did have one that was 12' high back in 1998 ) at the center. The Dorsett 21' Farallon is in there along with the Skagit 17'. I do have two ends caps as well. As far as snow goes i had about 2' on it before i went out out and knocked it off with a shop broom from the inside. It has shop light inside as well and by the way the Tarp goes to the ground. You can keep adding sections on as your needs change ...like more boats.Mine started out at 20' feet. The pipe is 1 5/8. Total cost with the lights and shelter about $1500.00 as time went on as far as adding sections. Best, Chuck
          Attached Files
          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Working...
          X