Classic Stories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic Stories

Has anybody else noticed that people gravitate toward these old classics more than the new $80,000 boats that launch next to us. What is sweet, (besides the Huskies making it to the sweet sixteen). Is that we dont have to worry about them as much. Sure we will wash them and make sure every thing is working great but if there is a mistake made. It is not hard to fix. Probably fixed it already. Its just so fun to launch these things and all of a sudden your hearing about childhood stories that would never have been told if you didnt launch your old classic boat. John

Yeah, I noticed that. Pretty cool huh
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Know what you mean. Launched Rosario at LaConner yesterday to several positive comments. One guy came over to say his father worked at the shop where my boat was made.
      There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

I know what you mean John, I've heard a lot of stories about boats that someone's dad had, or one they had when they were younger. One day coming back to the launch at Magnuson Park I was met at the dock by a gentleman who worked at Sabrecraft when my boat was built, he got a huge kick out of seeing one on the water. Really made my day, too.

Tim

Comment

Hey guys,
          I noticed that when building the $80,000 alum boats(now $200K is an over the top price....) that some would worry like expecting parents as their boat was being built,some couldn`t sleep ,some couldn`t eat and others could do neither.Some named theirs before launching or using....made me laugh like when other parents would be shopping for day-care and describing what their child (un-born mind you....) liked and wanted.

There were also new boat owners who took their new stuff home and would have it customized way better than we could while pumping out "product" at the factory.
          This made me jealous alot of times and led me to the path of "being the guy who did it...."
          Doing one custom hull while others did 5-10 isn`t profitable $ wise but having strangers tell stories does make for a great bonus.
          With the old boats,we are more likely to have "Earned it" rather than have just gone out and bought it.
          There are some new boat owners making and telling stories too,it just doesn`t seem as cool as when it has aged a bit.
          Love it when the resto car guys do the "Distressed,aged look" and paint or create broken glass or paint fake rust on panels ,doors,etc.
          Mine have it built -in.
          Nothing like Cool Junk.And stories......
          TM
          unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
          15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
          SeaRay 175BR
          Hi-Laker lapline
          14` Trailorboat

Comment

Instant friends

I've had tourist come up to the Skagit and ask if they could sit in the boat and I would take their pictures . Wonder what stories they attached to the pictures when they got home. At the time there was a couple other boats at the dock that cost way over $20,000 and they didn't even look at those ? It kinda ticked off the owners. People flock to the Glassics !
            Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Rick, I had a person come up yesterday at Sandpoint and told me i did a great job on all of the woodwork. Told him Island Boatshop near PT did it but, i did the exterior. Then he told me he was a carpenter ask if he could take a picture....no problem. The Farallon and your Davis Craft are the only boats that i did not do any of the interior on. I'am not a wood person as far as doing the work. Wish i was. Chuck
              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Working...
              X