enough power?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• enough power?

Is a 25 horse Honda enough motor for a 16' Bellboy?

Must use the right prop and having a Tach would be the a good idea so you know what rpm you can get to.If not propped right ,you`ll lug the motor and destroy it quickly.
    Lower the pitch number so it revs a little bit....but not over the limit on spec label.
    You won`t see great top end but will enjoy economy if you balance all of the above.
    TimM
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Do you own it?

If you already own the motor than put it on and follow tims advice. If you are looking to buy the motor at a (to good to be true or you can use it on another boat) price than try it. If you have the option of waiting for a bigger motor I would wait. There are some great deals out there if you have the patience. John

Comment

Great advice from above.

A 25hp motor is a bit on the small side but will work if you don't want to get there fast. 50HP was perfect on my BB16.
        Mark
        Silverdale, WA.
        1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

The reason for asking is, there is a 16' Bellboy with a Honda 25 for sale on craigslist Seattle.

Comment

That particular one has been for sale since last summer. http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/1744616622.html

The model is a BB Express Cruiser 16ft. Looks to be an earlier year than 1957 though with the small windows in the front. It's probably a 54 or 55.

Johnson 35's we're commonly used on these boats back in the 50's. Personally, I wouldn't want to run anything smaller than that but thats just my personal preference. I like to go fast...

The 25hp will work as long as you don't mind cruising at a more relaxed pace. :boater1:
            Mark
            Silverdale, WA.
            1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Since last summer eh? He just dropped the price $500 since last week. Makes you wonder. I don't mind cruising slow. I just want to make sure I can plane without wrecking the motor. I'm not looking for a boat to work on. I have enough projects going on. I'm looking for a boat to ride around in, enjoying the good life. Unfortunately I can't afford too much good life but is a nice Bellboy with a cuddy and a Honda(sorry purists)motor too much to ask for? Thanks for all the help. Your expertise is much appreciated.

Comment

It looks like the boat is in good shape and from the sound of it he's likely willing to deal. The BB16's are great little boats.

That boat with a newer Honda motor is a good deal for under 2K. That is..if it doesn't need any major work. It's worth taking a look at for sure.
                Mark
                Silverdale, WA.
                1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

i would not even consider that motor as it would be underpowered for that boat ! The first thing when you have gone out is you will be wanting to go "just a little bit faster " ,and what if you went with some other boaters and are left behind.I'am sorry as i 'am not trying to beat you up ,but i just would keep looking for something better. Best,Chuck
                  1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                  1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

A 3 cyl 25 hp 4 stroke is not the same as a 25 hp we all are used to.
                    It`s a worthy Deal and the motor would br enough for 2-3 people to enjoy ,just no water sports.
                    Chuck Bauer has a mere 50 hp Honda on his 19` Sabrecraft....but yes ,he`d like to go faster.
                    The price is worth it as an investment of a desired motor.Location of the seller could be the only thing deterring a sale.
                    TM
                    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                    SeaRay 175BR
                    Hi-Laker lapline
                    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Cruzin'

I Agree with Mattson-Take the Bell Boy for a test drive, the hulls can't use too much horsepower/speed regardless as they will beat you up. A 25 horse Honda would be a fuel sipper...and top speed with 2 would probably be mid+twenties. The motor could be sold off later for a larger version if need be, netting a virtually free boat. With the bonus of being on the water tomorrow while the rest of us landlubbers sand and scrape.
                      Attached Files

Comment

It is worth the price just for the motor. I had a 75 on a similar hull and did 42mph. The same hull with the mighty 50 did 34. On the fat 19' Sabrecraft it does 30 tops with the same 50 Honda. But the economy, about 8 mpg, and the dependability factors all help outweigh the virtue of top speed. Besides, when the water is rough, how fast do you really want to go? The 25 on that hull will be in the 20's, not fast, but respectable...
                        ChuckB
                        "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Looks like it's gone. Oh, well. There will be others. Thanks for the input. I guess I'm not ready to jump just yet.

Comment

Good to wait

I decided to get into boating and looked around for a week. Found a great looking trihull with a evinrude fat 50. He started it and told me it floats. First trip was to the bubble with my 7 and 10 year old. The weather came in and it got rough. We had water in the boat some how and the motor was dogging. We made it in with my 10year old driving. My 7 year old up front keeping the bow down so we could get up on plane and me holding the wire from the bilge pump onto a battery. Come to find out there was a hole in the bottom and a head gasket that would blow every time I went out. I would look at alot of boats. Familerize yourself with all thats out there and than buy with confidence. John

Comment

What me worry?

As John said patience is a virtue, while remembering that the best way to learn is by making mistakes. The great thing about old boats- you will never pay more than your first derelict that looked great in your dreams...bad transom (that looked fine), salty motor, salty everything, hooked bottom (from storing 1000 gallons of water for 10 years), bullet hole in bottom, rotted trailer axle...

Think of it like you would college, an investment in your knowledge base. If you wait too long summer is over, and you'll probably still buy the wrong one-even after all of your research. By the time you've collected 3, you'll have to wear blinders in order to "miss" all of the "FREE" classics.:Shocked:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X