surveying a boat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surveying a boat

I have been curious on how a person becomes a surveyer of boats. My boat Cooljunk is in need of some repairs and i'll get around to it someday. The transom is very solid, the splashwell keeps most of the water out but the rear bulkhead (hope thats what you call it) is rotten and chunks fall off it when you hit it with fuel tanks or crab pots. Im worried that somebody is going to deem it unsafe because of asthetics even though it doesn't effect the entegrity of the boat and was wondering if that person can actually be in a position to do so. John
    Attached Files

Marine Surveyors - Boat Surveys

Some insurance companies will require a survey on boats ten years old or older.

A marine surveyor ususally has a great deal of boat building or repairing experience. Not sure of the rules today, but in the past you could just hang out a shingle saying you are a surveyor.

There are classes available from SAMS (Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors). You start out as an associate surveyor (apprentice) and work up through a series of classes.

Also NAMS (National Association of Marine Surveyors).

Due to the increasing complexity of boats and yachts many surveyors are specializing in certain materials (Glass, wood, steel, aluminum). Like everything else today, there is a certain liability to being a surveyor. You have to know your stuff.

I've done some mechanical surveys in the past.

Hope this helps,

Tim
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Working...
    X