Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay, who was raving about the great Keelguard?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, who was raving about the great Keelguard?

Bought a Keelguard for Rosario so her little bottom wouldn't get a "rash" from San Juan Island beaches. Put it on after carefully following directions. Went camping for 10 days and came back and it has pulled back in several places. The Keelguard folk are telling me it is a problem with the shape of the hull on the Skagit 17. They kindly are sending me another one which I can sell on eBay and directions for removing my old (new) one. Anyone got any experience for recementing the one that is mostly stuck to my keel?
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Jerry, Greg James put one on his 1957 17' Skagit just like the Rosario. Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Thanks Chuck. Greg, where are you? What's the secret? Superglue?

Comment

Jerry, were you wearing a skirt like the installers in the video?

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT1Qks7tN4Q"]YouTube- Fitting a Keelshield keelguard to your boat by girls.mpg[/nomedia]

Comment

No, mine was a bit more modest. Do you think that was why it wouldn't stick to the boat. Next time a shorter skirt?

Comment

Originally posted by Lootas1, post: 11640
            No, mine was a bit more modest. Do you think that was why it wouldn't stick to the boat. Next time a shorter skirt?
            Yes, definitely. We'll need to see photos, to make sure you were doing it right.

:shocked4:

Comment

Jerry ,
              I`d recommend some De-greaser /De-waxer before the first attempt ,followed by a test with basic Masking tape.If it sticks without pulling away dirt then it should only need the pressure to make it stick good.A laminate roller helps apply the pressure.
              Also warming it may help it contour,though heavy curves may need some slits( but only as a last resort).
              Contact adhesive like for flooring may be the only way out.
              Fisheries Supply also carries "Super Heavy Duty Adhesive Spray Glue" that is used under hoods and on door jams.
              Getting it to snug up from below will be tough.Maybe a soft pc of alum tubing could be used to press in sections while trying to re-seal.
              Sikaflex would be another option but messy.
              The water pressure at speed will make spot repairs hard to stick unless perfect.Road oil will also be a culprit of why it fails,not to mention the 2 stroke oil our motors put out.
              Prepping without removal will be difficult.
              Goodluck and do show us some pics please.
              Tim M
              unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
              15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
              SeaRay 175BR
              Hi-Laker lapline
              14` Trailorboat

Comment

Here are pics of the worst of the Keelguard. I contacted them and they suggested several two part epoxies to use to reseal Among them Devcon 14300, Achort Tite and Marine Tex Flex Set.
                Attached Files

Comment

Jerry, I have had the same problem after it was on for several years. I really haven't done a whole lot to take care of the problem because I am planning to do a complete refurbishing this winter into next summer so everything including the keel guard will eventually be removed before repaint. The keel guard will not be replaced because of it's inability to stay in place. I don't think it is really neccessary becauce I don't beach my boat that often and I think the keel is plenty thick enough to survive.
                  Greg James

Comment

Yah, Greg, I suspect you are right. Suppose I could live without it. Never had one on a boat before. Only one bad experience many years ago. Had a fiberglass shop cover the bottom of a wood boat. Used to drag it up a rocky beach. One day I was crossing Bellingham Bay and the boat dropped off plane and was barely able to push through the water. A hole through the glass made a big water scoop. I gave up and sold boat, motor and trailer for $100.

Comment

JERRY ! Did you say you will sell the Rosario for $100.00 ! ! I will give you $200.00 Chuck

Comment

Chuck, I don't take personal checks or credit cards but, to you, I might make a deal. Just remove that decimal point and I could be persuaded. Unfortunately, I don't think Becky could. She seems to like the little boat. Did I mention that I spoiled it by buying two Optima marine batteries for it. Gee, better tag on another $400 for them.

Comment

Jerry, Next week the Farallon will be on it's way to it's new home in CT. Starting to get "things" lined up for the next whatever project. Chuck

Comment

Jerry, I might try a few things to try to remedy the situation because I can imagine what it is going to take to get the dam thing off. I'll let you know how it goes.
                            Greg James

Comment

Working...
                            X