Fuel filter question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel filter question

Anyone ever use a screw on type fuel water separator type filter made by Sierra? It also removes particles down to 21 microns and will not seperate the oil from the gas. Are there any problems using them like air trapped in the unit causes the motor to fail, or any mounting location concerns?
    1956 Enduracraft Monterey
    1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
    1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

I put a Sierra filter on my boat with a 1965 65 hp. Mercury outboard. The motor wouldn't pull fuel at an idle and a Mercury outboard mechanic told me to lose the filter. I did and the motor now will run at an idle. I still like the idea of the filter but apparently at least some old motors (even with two rebuilt fuel pumps) can't suck fuel through it.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

I am not sure what brand of filter system Jeff Ault is using on his Skagit but he has a big Johnson on his with the stock fiberglass tanks still installed.

Jeff uses the Fine filter were I just got your basic whatever for mine.
      Mine let the snot from the delaminating fiberglass tanks though it into the carbs.

Other than that, I have never had an air lock issues switching between side tanks, that always worked fine.
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Filter basics

Lowell,
        The filters by Racor are the best,most Fuel /Water seps only do just that,giving little in filtering unless it is a newer type.
        I`ve only seen them quirky when not primed at install or if a primer bulb isn`t between the tank and the filter.
        You should keep it off the floor and higher will keep fuel from flowing when servicing it.Splashwells are the last place to mount them but ok in some cases if far enough away from the backsplash when coming off step.
        I use these remote filters on any older boat with built -in tank but I put a Tempo inline Glass filter with fine mesh in the splashwell area so I can watch for trouble while running.
        I also write with felt pen the date and year the filter was changed,you should have it match whatever year it is now and not be last year`s.
        Grease the heck out of the bolts when mounting a filter base as the bare cast Alum makes white chaulky crud if exposed to saltwater or even salt air.
        Check valves in tank outlet fittings have caused smaller motors to lose prime but I`m surprised a 4 cyl Mercury couldn`t pull thru a remote filter assy,(but I`m an OMC guy too.....).
        Also one final note,whenever messing with fuel systems,remove the last fuel line before the carb and see what comes out into a clean glass jar.If any debris at all,keep squirting until it looks like a Martini.
        Tim M
        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Thank you for responding

I won't install the filter, I was concerned about the methanol in the gas causing the water to settle out, if nobody else is experiencing this problem then I won't worry about it.
          1956 Enduracraft Monterey
          1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
          1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Working...
          X