If it weren't for bad luck...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If it weren't for bad luck...

I'd have no luck at all. So, I contacted Keelguard and they said I might attach my Keelguard that is coming loose with a two part epoxy and mentioned Devcon as one brand that could work. So, I bought two of the "Flow Mix 60 Sec. Epoxy" and looked to see if it required a certain amount of heat to work. All the directions said on the subject was "not recommended at temperatures above 200 degrees F". So, I got out my trusty thermometer and found it was about 140 degrees below that number. I cut the tip off and attached the nozzle. I squirted it between the hull and the Keelguard and held pressure for the required 60 seconds. Then it popped free. So, I got a couple of pieces of bent wood and four C clamps and clamped it in place. This morning I went out and removed the clamps and the Keelguard popped away from the hull. The 2 part epoxy was as sticky as when I put it on. I had spilled a couple of drops on the trailer and they, too, were still sticky. Now this is a self mixing epoxy so you don't put it on something and stir it. You just push the plunger and it comes out of two sides of the dual tube and mixes as it flows through the nozzle. Anyone want a real deal on a slightly used Keelguard. Never been in the water! Only two pieces nicked out of it to accommodate the bend at the bow.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Originally posted by Lootas1, post: 11710
    I'd have no luck at all. So, I contacted Keelguard and they said I might attach my Keelguard that is coming loose with a two part epoxy and mentioned Devcon as one brand that could work. So, I bought two of the "Flow Mix 60 Sec. Epoxy" and looked to see if it required a certain amount of heat to work. All the directions said on the subject was "not recommended at temperatures above 200 degrees F". So, I got out my trusty thermometer and found it was about 140 degrees below that number. I cut the tip off and attached the nozzle. I squirted it between the hull and the Keelguard and held pressure for the required 60 seconds. Then it popped free. So, I got a couple of pieces of bent wood and four C clamps and clamped it in place. This morning I went out and removed the clamps and the Keelguard popped away from the hull. The 2 part epoxy was as sticky as when I put it on. I had spilled a couple of drops on the trailer and they, too, were still sticky. Now this is a self mixing epoxy so you don't put it on something and stir it. You just push the plunger and it comes out of two sides of the dual tube and mixes as it flows through the nozzle. Anyone want a real deal on a slightly used Keelguard. Never been in the water! Only two pieces nicked out of it to accommodate the bend at the bow.
    Uh, are you sure the instructions on that product does not say, it will Apply a Equal amount of product and that you must mix it?
    Sorry, this might be a new product but I have never seen a Devcon product that did not require some mixing.
    The only other reasons it would not cure would be its shelf live has long expired or it was not mixing.:TwoCents1:

Most of those two part epoxy products that I have used in the past, if it comes loose, its taking the paint or something with it.
    If a smooth surface, I will scratch the crap out of both of the surfaces and then glue them up.

On the other hand, I would Really like to know exactly what that product is to stay away from it.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Okay, here's what it says: "60 second set time, The worlds fastes setting epoxy, water resistant, super high strength 1250 psi, apply where you need it without having to mix, works best on: concrete, glass, metal,plastic, rubber and more." It has a double vial that feeds the two parts into a single nozzle, where it is supposed to mix. The part number ios 21445. I've got a call in to customer service to see if they have an explanation.
      There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Boy, it sure is supposed to mix but I guess you can't trust it to do that.
        No idea on our your going to clean that out.
        Man....What a mess.:angry2:
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
        X