Skagit 20, more progress

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skagit 20, more progress

There's nothing like a solid 6 hours working on your boat.

Being a somewhat cold & rainy day yesterday, I was reminded of several cruises up in Washington with some of you guys. Decided to brew up some stiff coffee, bundle up and do something.

My plan was to test fit the parts and get the helm in order today. This included drilling the holes for the steering and fit them all before I put the whole thing back together so I'm not just drilling willy-nilly when it's finally glassed & coated. I want it looking a certain way. With this approach, I think I'll accomplish the look I want.

I went through many MANY positions and finally came up with something that worked for me. The Skagit has a helm made of fiberglass but wanting a bit of an older look, I decided to not use the fiberlgass shell and put it all on the bulkhead. This results in more leg room and a much more open feel to the beast.

I think I finally got it all in place just the way I want it. Guages nicely placed, switches, etc.

I will be doing more each week as I get closer to the final placement of all the parts. Then... we'll take em all off and glass it all together. Once done with that, the interior will be coated with something (maybe bilge coat?) I dunno. I want it to be something I can just spray out if I feel like it. A utilitarian type of vessel, low maintenance, not worry if I get it wet type of thing.

It's not perfect but this boat will actually be used. Many many years of collecting parts have gotten me here. Some of the guages are quite the unique pieces too. One seen here, an airguide marine barometer (and it works), a wind up clock, and a tach. They might change positions and I may put the barometer inside the cabin for looks. Who knows.

Oh, if Bruce is out there somewhere, I found my lost Skagit 20 "20" emblem so I'll send that one back you sent me.

Thanks for looking.

Kelly
    Attached Files

Well, that sure keeps things in KISS mode.
    Myself I like a little helm as so I can just look down at the gauges but that sure makes it simple.

In my 59 Skagit offshore I have a small helm with the wheel around a 35 degree angle as so I can stand or sit and still steer it.
    Behind the helm and in the cabin, I cut a good size hole and mounting my wiring fuse block and wires on a door.
    That way if I had a problem, I open the door and can look right at the fuse block.

Are you planning on putting a box in the inside of the bulkhead to cover up the wires and steering?
    If you did, you could make a box up and hinge it with you fuse block mounted on the inside of the box. Open the box and you have easy access to add more accessories when the time comes

Keep chipping away at her Kelly.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Good point, but with where the seat is, I lined it all up so all is visible through the wheel. Totally usable and a wee bit more space.

I am thinking of putting a thin, 2nd bulkhead about 8 in in front of the main one on the right side. This will allow for a good sized electrical area in the upper portion of it and neat storage closet for the table, fold up chairs, rolled up tent, etc. in the bottom section. It won't take much from the interior either. This way, the head can go back in on the right, cut down thinner by a bit, and the kitchen goes on the left. Electrical on once side, kitchen & water on the other. Seems to balance it out I think.

It could change though. Who knows.

Kelly

Comment

Hey Kelly.
        Mine is the Offshore so I have much less room in the cabin.
        That sounds like it will still be nice and more room in the cockpit area.
        Still plenty of room for an over nighter.

Ours has the full canvas with privacy curtains so the whole boat is a play ground.
        Carol and I are really looking forward to Gunk Holing all over and around the San Juans in coming years.
        Just like the RV, pull into one of the Many over night ports just to hang out.
        Most all of them have showers and stores close by with plenty of local history.

Now I have to get back to work on mine..
        Attached Files
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Nice Work Kelly!

Kelly,
          Nice to know our weather can motivate......coffee,Boats and cold weather don`t rhyme but all go well together.
          Looking good,I like the Airguide gauges too.I have the Compass,the Clock,the Tach and the MPH in that series.Saw the barometer while at SecondW and didn`t buy it cause I figured nobody would see it in the pile.....1 st guy walked in and moved one gauge,then hopped slightly as he realized it was the Airguide Barometer.Doh.
          Some old Hydraulic Pressure gauges(not Airguide) had the same chrome bezel and it turns out you can remove the guts and replace it with the ones from other types.
          I like my dashes to have the Wheel facing my bellybutton,but try to get the gauges facing my eyes......but all on one plane looks to be just fine.
          I`d follow Joe`s advice and hinge the second bulkhead so you don`t have to rig inside an 8`` wide box.
          On my Seafair,I put an amber Turn signal lamp under the helm that goes on when running lights are on.Keeps the floor and drivers` area lit but not too bright so windows reflect and blind you in low light.I added lights in white and red that work off a 3 position switch and it gives me lighting in cabin ,splashwell and in the cockpit.
          I`d use some grey Bilgecoat ,cut with some white to lighten it up a little.White is too bright and the grey gets dark in a cabin.
          Throw some Listerine in if painting around a Head/Porta Potty location,it will keep germs/mold from growing.
          Keep it up,thanx for sharing the pics!
          Tim M
          unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
          15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
          SeaRay 175BR
          Hi-Laker lapline
          14` Trailorboat

Comment

Thanks again for the replies, I appreciate it.

I was thinking of this so I don't have a problem getting to the electrical.

Kelly
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X