We Have Power ! ......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We Have Power ! ......

.....kind of. Yesterday i purchase a 50 hp Evinrude SS for the Glasspar G-3 . Yes i know it will not be going 800 mph, but it will do around 32 mph or so. Right now i have a 1986 50 hp Evinrude on my Skagit ( Rosario ) 17' ( 31.7 mph ) which has been one of the best motors i have own. When i had GregJ Skagit 17' in 1997, i put another 50 hp Evinrude on it and Greg really likes it over the last 11 years. I do like both Merc and OMC's brands, but this package deal came along with the Evinrude SS. Guess who had it ? MARTY ! It's about the 8th boat i have gotten from Marty. It's a 1959 14-foot boat that was built by Shell Lake Boat Co in Wisconsin; has two cockpits with a bridge deck in-between ! I wish i could keep it , but i don't have the room. Will be selling Miss Cutie ( boat only ) soon. I will need the trailer ( for the G-3 ) as well. I own the trailer ( Bubble Gum boat ) once before , so i know it's condition. Should be ready to hang the motor in about 5 weeks. Do think being today is Valentine's Day it would be a good time to tell Sheila ....right ? Like by the way dear "I love you " and guess what, as i hand her a card, we have another boat !...but i will not be keeping it to long...really. When we were at a party once , i told her we were the proud owners of the Dorsett Farallon. Could not say to much until we got in the car. No problem then. lol Best, Chuck
    Attached Files
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Chuck you are...

my hero! I am studying your art of being happily married whilst picking up boats left and right. Believe me i am taking notes all the while. Anyway congratulations on your latest purchase/sale and look forward to seeing you!

John Kelly ( Marvelous ) - Not me the boat!
    John & Diane Kelly

Comment

Admire your cajones! I'm taking Becky out to dinner and even bought new shoes and slacks for me so as to not embarrass her. Maybe I could have added just one boat or a small motor. Okay, I now have two boats and three trailers parked on the county road in front of my house. Guess I shouldn't add to the fleet.
      There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Originally posted by Marvelous, post: 798
        my hero! I am studying your art of being happily married whilst picking up boats left and right. Believe me i am taking notes all the while. Anyway congratulations on your latest purchase/sale and look forward to seeing you!

John Kelly ( Marvelous ) - Not me the boat!
        John, It will be great seeing you this year? Best, Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by Lootas1, post: 801
          Admire your cajones! I'm taking Becky out to dinner and even bought new shoes and slacks for me so as to not embarrass her. Maybe I could have added just one boat or a small motor. Okay, I now have two boats and three trailers parked on the county road in front of my house. Guess I shouldn't add to the fleet.
          Jerry, Man ! You are going all out. Becky might think there is another boat coming her way. What's another one. The way i look at it is what would be the worst thing to happen to me at age 67 ? Sheila dumping me ? Getting a little late for that....i think. Best, Chuck

Comment

Way to go Chuck! That should work good on the G3. That is some nice stepping to work that out for Valentine day . I admire your style. - Ross
            Ross Henson

Comment

Chuck,
              I think you should write a book on the subject. Maybe you can call it:
              How to buy old boats from your buddies and the 101 ways to get the wife to let you keep em'!
              Now that would be a best seller! I'll be looking for it to hit the shelves soon!

Comment

Chuck, does the 10% rule apply to the 50hp Evinrude? Ten percent of the HP equals the mpg. Or do they get a little better mpg than the Mercs?

My trick with the first mate is to balance my projects. I work a little on the boat, and work a little on the household upgrades. Today I'm finishing up putting hardwood in the entry way (she loves it), then I'm going to mount the motor on the boat. Doing it this way also spreads out the boat dollars I spend. (A boat dollar being $100). Have a good one.
                Steve Kiesel
                1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Joe, The next step is go to Marty's when the wife will be gone all day. Get it home and park it in the Shelter between the Farallon and the Skagit cover it up. You know ...." out of sight out of mind " It's bad enough having the G-3 next to her parking place when she pulls into the garage ! I think she is numb to this boat thing over all of these years. Chuck
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_Kiesel, post: 812
                    Chuck, does the 10% rule apply to the 50hp Evinrude? Ten percent of the HP equals the mpg. Or do they get a little better mpg than the Mercs?

My trick with the first mate is to balance my projects. I work a little on the boat, and work a little on the household upgrades. Today I'm finishing up putting hardwood in the entry way (she loves it), then I'm going to mount the motor on the boat. Doing it this way also spreads out the boat dollars I spend. (A boat dollar being $100). Have a good one.
                    Steve, Yea i try to work some of her things in as well.....you have to ! I think the Evinrude gets quite a bit better mpg than the Merc's. Last summer GregJ ,Marty and I went to Olympia and i only burned 18 gal. That's why i did not take the Farallon ( 50 gal's ) on that trip with gas about $4.15 a gal. In March last year i filled up the boats plus three extra boat gas tanks ( 36 gals ) and put the gas treatment into them without the oil ( add that later with a note on each tank to remind me) for when i needed it in the summer, so i was not paying those high fuel prices. Worked out fine. Time to go to the station again. Chuck

Comment

Chuck, that is much better. I burned almost 12 gallons on the Snohomish river run with the Merc 650, and we didn't push it either. Once I get the Homelite mounted and running, things will be different. I'm hoping to get it wet next weekend. Want to do at least one trial run before the Slough run on the 28th.
                      Steve Kiesel
                      1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Bearcat Fuel consumption

I found that my fuel consumption was Way less than others.
                        When others empty a 6 gallon tank, I have more than half a tank.
                        Helmar Joe Johanesen
                        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Joe, Those Homelite's are a great motor. Being the Evinrude is just a little 50hp 2 stoke and does not burn very much ,it's not bad. On that run to Olympia, i had the two 12 gal tanks ( but i always only put 10 gals in each because i don't want gas to spill out of the vent hole onto the carpet ( It's a Felix thing ) that i always have in the Rosario and one extra 12 gal setup in the stern as a back up just in case. So i had a total of 30 gals and had 12 gals left over. Chuck

Comment

Chuck.
                            Once I seen those engines that you and Greg have, I have been looking for used ones. None found. That says something about the design for sure.
                            Good motors!!
                            Helmar Joe Johanesen
                            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
                            X