Latest addition to the fleet.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest addition to the fleet.

Craigslist strikes again. I really should be banned. LOL This little 12 ft Power Cat was listed as something else but I just happened to see the picture. Thought it was a 14 but it's a twelve. My little two seat sports boat! Real dirty but the hull is clean underneath. The topside will need some work and the top three inches or so of the transom is bad but no big deal to fix. Could just replace the bad section but I'll probably do the whole thing. Actually came with a title too. Should go good with the 35 Javelin I think. Barry
    Attached Files

Power Cat

Good score Barry.

That little sucker should really get out a scoot.:eek:
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Power cat

Hey Barry,
      Spent too much time in those hulls last year,actually poured almost 10 gallons of resin in all between the two.Also burnt up 2 boxes of 36 grit sanding pads grinding thru spidercracks and paint so the glass could have a good bond.
      Adding foam to the bow and any chambers also brought back the hull integrity.Seemed pretty lightly built on the upper edges of the lower shell.
      I think they have great speed potential with the wide tunnel that will provide massive lift when reaching mid to top end.The short one you have is probably proportionally wider than any other size,giving it the best stability possible from side to side.Front to back could get interesting if you put a 50 hp on it.
      Try laying a straight edge on the hull and I bet you don` have many truly flat surfaces.
      Run twins and you can steer with the throttles!
      Tim M
      Attached Files
      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
      SeaRay 175BR
      Hi-Laker lapline
      14` Trailorboat

Comment

Good find there. I ran one of those with a Chysler 70HP on it.

It flew.
        Attached Files

Comment

Jeepers,
          I just happen to have a twin set of Chrysler 70's w/controls........

Comment

Barry- Is the picture taken where you picked it up, or your shop. That is the old Nordman truck yard. My good friend Mike Jones has his "boat shop" next door. Oh, the treasures you can find in there!
            BRIAN FRANCHINI
            LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

I'm sort of regretting I let the one I had go - but I'd probably be 70 before I got to it...

All the 14'ers measure 12'6", and they are great boats! My understanding is that McCulloch used to run twin 70's on those for endurance races...

HOLD ON!

Comment

Wow you do want to go fast! How cool Barry have fun with that little speed deamon.

John Kelly
                John & Diane Kelly

Comment

Latest addition

Tim
                  I don't need a straight edge to know things aren't exactly flat. I'm sanding what I believe is about four layers of old house paint off of it and the fiberglass is pretty thin on top. The original gel coat turns out to be yellow so if I don't polish it after sanding with the D A it will leave a matt finish that will hide the waves.LOL
                  I was going to put the Javelin 35 on it but after some thought I still have an extra old Bearcat that I might use. Going to do a compression test on it tonight and see. I am putting in a new transom anyway so what's an additonal four inches? I'm not brave enough to try a 70. I just looked at a picture of the one they raced with two 70's and sitting still the driver was leaning forward to keep it from going over backwards.
                  Yes Brian, our shop is the old Nordman place. The old coot still owns it. Haven't had the opportunity to meet Mike Jones yet. My neighbor out back keeps telling me I should. Barry

Comment

More cat stuff

Barry,
                    I saw some You Tube vids of the Powercat races in Texas where some of the bigger hulls were running huge 150-200hp Mercs,and some were twins.The holeshots were astounding and it looked more like a Formula One race than a boat race.
                    Those hulls are what the Merc test guys ran on Lake X with some putting triple Mercs to the test.
                    My G-3 will never be top dog with these Cats around!
                    I may still someday regret saying "I`ve never been passed by a Homelite".A Bearcat on a Powercat.....
                    Love to see it sometime.
                    TimM
                    ps Housepaint comes off really easy with spray on paint stripper,I just removed some Baby blu from a like-new OMC side mt......looked like a theft deterrant so it wouldn`t twinkle.
                    Shine a flashlight on the outside at night while looking under the deck sometime,you`ll be amazed how thin it really is.
                    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                    SeaRay 175BR
                    Hi-Laker lapline
                    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Cat Stuff

Tim
                      I had planned to use stripper and still will for some of it but not having the patience to wait until getting some I had to try sanding. I deal with fiberglass products all the time and it is obvious how thin the top of that Cat is. Suprisingly the hull seems pretty solid though. I'm thinking about just raising the new transom from 16" to 18" and using a jack plate for the 20" Bearcat. That way I can use the 18" Javelin 35 also. Actually I'd like to put two Javelins on it one day. LOL Barry

Comment

Working...
                      X