Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need "new" motor for my G3

Hi there-
    New to the forum and boating in general. I am a new owner of a 1960 Glasspar G3 which came with a 1973 402 Mercury long shaft. I am wanting to replace this motor with a 1960's Merc with a bit more power. Question: What would be too big (100hp?) for a G3? Also, am I losing substantial power because of the long shaft on my 40hp?
    Any suggestions and or help would be greatly appreciated-

Thanks

Todd

Hey Chuck C. Here's a guy who could use a little Merc help. Know anyone who might have a motor that would work on that boat?
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Todd, If you want a very nice Mercury look below. Call anytime even on weekend's . I will return it soon. Best, Chuck

Thanks Jerry !

Chuck's Winter Lay-A-Way Program...

That's right ! Plan ahead for next spring boating season with a super nice motor to start the year off with. Call for information on a monthly payment plan. Debit or Credit Cards accepted. Thanks,Chuck

Thom Adams (Dr Frankenmerc) has checked out this very nice 85 hp Merc 1974-75 850 4 cylinder long shaft with power trim that i had already purchased from him in June. Now that i have a 20' Skagit ( Bainbridge ) with a Merc 115hp 4 stroke motor ,i will not being needing it. The lower unit has been re-sealed, pressure tested, & a new impeller and gear oil installed.The motor has had the carburetors rebuilt, the fuel pump rebuilt, all new fuel hoses. the ignition trigger has been rebuilt with new bearings, a replacement rotor and drive belt, a very good condition used distributor cap. and the rectifier & stator work properly to maintain a charge in the boat battery.The swivel and tilt work very smoothly as well. Ready to go price with controls. Only $1750.00. 425-742-4319 or 1-800-637-9190 or charlescarey@frontier.com
      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Defeat from the jaws of opportunity...

Sorry Chuck, Todd needs a short shaft motor for the g. :computers1:

Todd; Without a picture, I'm guessing that your transom hasn't been modified for a longshaft motor. Your 40 horse LS would definitely be a drag in every sense, these hulls deserve more power to keep your blood pumping. Some g3 enthusiasts that have 2-stroke oil running in their veins, have been known to get a bit carried away in search of speed. If your transom is solid, a 60's Merc 115 (closer to 90 prop hp) would be the e-ticket with it's hp to weight ratio...but Chuck has proven that a Merc 650 still thrills while conserving fuel.

If your sanity level is appropriately low, I have read that FrankenMerc has a firebreather that was just removed from his g3...

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your sweet ride!

Comment

Greg, There is a quick way to raise th G-3 , in fact i have been " kind of " thinking of putting the 85 hp with it's trim & tilt with a little bit more zoom for the buck on the G-3 and selling the Short Shaft 65hp ( It's another Frankenmerc motor ) instead. How's that grab you .... Chuck.
          Attached Files

Comment

Todd, My two cents worth. I have bought two motors, a boat and a trailer from Chuck and have been very happy with all purchases. I also hear nothing but good things about Dr. Frankenmerc's work. I think you might do well to try and talk Chuck out of that short shaft 650. I had one and spent over $3,000 having it rebuilt by someone else. Wish I had known about Dr. F. at that time!
            Jerry
            There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Power to weight is the key ,with the weight of fuel needed on an avg day being part of that equation.
              Go bigger if Towing or short fast speed runs in controlled waters.
              Go smaller if long distance voyages or lots of slow going in no wake Zones......
              Figure around 10% of motor HP will be needed for fuel as an Hourly avg.
              100 hp will burn up to 8-10 Gallons per Hour while a smaller 55 will only need 4-5 ,at WOT .......at half throttle they both will do well with the bigger motors gaining economy until you throttle it up.
              Props will make either of these options work better so don`t forget to choose wisely there too.
              Have you ran the smaller Merc or are going from a blank slate?
              TM
              unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
              15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
              SeaRay 175BR
              Hi-Laker lapline
              14` Trailorboat

Comment

Thanks for all the info everyone-

My transom is still stock 16" +/-, though it has been "modified" with a piece of 2"X2" wood sitting on top (which I would love to get rid of) but it is still leaving my cavitation plate about 1-1/2"- 2" below the bottom of the boat. I'm still not sure how much this is affecting things, but I assume it is dragging. So I would really like to get a short shaft.

The problem is... My inexpensive boat project is adding up quickly, so a completely redone motor right now is a bit out of the question ($$$).

What I thinking was finding something restorable with good compression that I could pick up cheap and work on over the winter. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.
                I'm also into restoring the boat as much as possible at one point, so I would really like a 1960's motor, preferably a white Merc ('60-'61?). I did see a nice looking mid 60's 100hp for cheap on Craig's list, but again i am wondering what is too big for a G3?

Thanks again-

Todd

Comment

By the way-I have run the smaller Merc, it was fine on the glass like conditions out at Merwin yesterday (I topped out at about 20mph according to the old original spedo), but on the Columbia it was a different story, I really felt underpowered.

Todd

Comment

Todd,
                    I ran my Yamaha 55 hp flush with bottom and it appeared to need to be 1.5 inches higher......
                    I did raise my transom as I don`t need to run a slalom course and want a powerhead a little higher.
                    The bigger engine will make the boat feel like a V-8 sports car.
                    Can you really use it when throttled up?
                    You`ll be more likely to use if the smaller option is used,but you`ll smille more if it goes really fast too.
                    Also sounds like Trim will help on the mid range porpoising these hulls are known for......
                    Time to read some stories on the G3 owners Assoc.:boater1:
                    TM
                    SeaRay 175BR
                    Hi-Laker lapline
                    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind??? genius??works for me

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 13456
                      Greg, There is a quick way to raise th G-3 , in fact i have been " kind of " thinking of putting the 85 hp with it's trim & tilt with a little bit more zoom for the buck on the G-3 and selling the Short Shaft 65hp ( It's another Frankenmerc motor ) instead. How's that grab you .... Chuck.
                      Chuck- Your creativity never ceases to amaze, most people get locked into a plan and never look back. You, my friend can seemingly change with the wind, and it seems to have worked for you. I think we could all use a little more flexibility in our lives.opcorn1:

Looking forward to hearing more about your g3 Todd, anything you do to keep her on the water is a good thing.:TakePicture1:

P.S. Mattson always gives more thorough advice, but I have better pictures.

Comment

Slo-mo.?

I grew up ( thats questionable) in the Seattle area,..I knew the Borsen family..I went to school with them..seems there was a PM TV show (in the late 1960's with Stan Borsen..Kinda the same as PJ patches and wanda wanda, had after school shows...he had a wiener dog named slo-mo..They lived in Stanwood..I knew doc borsen, birdy, mike,rick...I guess my point is ..is your, handle Slo-mo any play off of that?...Slo-mo drowned in Stan's swimming pool, Borsen's were good folk.

Comment

Greg, Change with the wind ? Maybe just a little bit. The Skagit ( Bainbridge ) color combo has has three change orders as of now. I hope the painting will be done by this coming weekend with the warmer temp's. Chuck
                          Attached Files

Comment

Jack plate

Its kind of hard to see in this pic but I bought a Jack plate on Ebay so I could mount a 20" motor on a 15" transom. It also set the motor back about 8". I hear that it makes the boat handle better when motor is set back. Ive seen conversions from IB to OB where they set them back 3 feet.
                            You mentioned that your inexpensive boat project is adding up quickly. Welcome to the club. John
                            Attached Files

Comment

Jackplate Querry

Hey John,
                              We are looking to install or build one of these for a 16` Bellboy I`m helping re-do.Really worried about balance and am wondering what you experianced after moving the Mercury back and up.
                              Anything we need to know or and does it make it turn quicker or lean back on holeshot?
                              Thanx for any info.
                              TimM
                              SeaRay 175BR
                              Hi-Laker lapline
                              14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
                              X