Trailer Brake Controllers ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer Brake Controllers ??

Anyone out here expert on trailer brake controllers? My 99 Silverado is wired for towing (towing package). Guess I need a controller.

I would rather tow this tripple axle trailer myself...sure my 1500 can do it as I only have a couple miles to go on fairly level ground. All up weight of boat and trailer about 13K pounds. As long as I can stop it I should be good...

Any info would be appreciated. I'll also talk to the guy that I bought the truck from. He towed a 5th wheel with it....

Thanks in advance

Tim
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Hi Tim,
    I'd suggest you look around for someone with a bigger truck that has a brake controller already installed. I pull a 25 foot fifth wheel that weighs 6,000 lbs. loaded with gear with my Sierra 1500. I sure wouldn't think of trying to pull twice that weight. As it is, the rear end blew apart a few years ago while pulling the fifth wheel and it was a week and $3,200 before I was back on the road. Looked at a nice, even lighter, fifth wheel at a trailer dealership a couple of years ago and they wouldn't sell it to me saying that a 1500 just wasn't heavy duty enough for the job. Anyway, Camping World has a Prodigy P2 Bake Control on sale for $133 that will control up to a four axel trailer. They wire through the trailer lights . That's really all I know about that. Well, another thought. A farm tractor to pull the trailer and the gearing on the tractor would stop the boat and trailer without the electric brakes.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Working...
    X