website privacy is very low

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• website privacy is very low

I don't know if it has ever been discussed in relation to the website, but I was surprised to find that if you goggle a make and model, such as glasspar phaeton or bell boy 21 express that the website postings and full string of replies show up.

I would guess that some people posting would think the website has moderate privacy but in fact any flippant comment one might make is out there in accessible web space. Given that some members have their full names along with the posts or use other people's full names in their comments reduces privacy further.

I am not suggesting changing the website, which might not be possible, but members should be aware that any comments they make are very public.
    Bruce H. Drake
    1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
    1957 Norseman 19' woodie
    1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
    1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Website privacy...is none!

Thanks for the reminder.

It's important not to post any personal information in the threads. Phone numbers, email addresses, etc. For example, I typed in Skagit Saratogan on Google and it took me to my most recent post: Countdown to launch. I'm going to go though all my posts and make sure there is no personal info. I may also pull my pictures after a week or two. This website it wide open to the public.

Thanks for the reminder Bruce.

Tim
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Good reminder for us all

Bruce,

Yes, posts in the forums can be read by google and other search engines, just like most other forums on the web. This is why people disguise their email addresses and phone numbers when posting them for events etc. The search engines can't read the Club Affairs Discussion Forum, your profile contact information or any other area that requires logging in. If you'd like to see what the search engines can and can't see, just log out and browse the site. Anything you can't see without logging in, the search engines can't see either.

It is possible to set the software so that the search engines can't read anything, however since many of our members like to read posts without logging in, and web searches for info on a specific boat is how many folks find us, the decision was made when the site first went online to not "lock down" everything.

If forums denied access to the search engines, then the web would not be the awesome resource it is.

Tim

Comment

Same privacy as other forums

Hi Guys.

This is nothing new. Same privacy as most forums.
        Just so you know, Nothing on the Internet is private unless its on a Secured Server which is just for money transactions.

What Bruce forgot to mention is that other "Forums" information shows up on Internet searches, just like ours.
        I mean, This IS on the Internet and Nothing is private!!!.

Let me see if I can find the hired help to see what can be done to help tighten things up, if possible.
        Right now we have every security update in place that this forum program offers.
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

This discussion reminds me of all the media exposure that the insanely popular social networking site "FACEBOOK" routinely gets because of the privacy concerns relating to posting information and pictures there. It takes many young people by surprise; just as it does to anyone with limited computer background or experience.

Rule of thumb for all internet users; regardless of the site: Never post anythng on any site (pictures or text) that you would not be 100% comfortable with being read by your employer; your Mom, or your girlfriends Dad.

That's just the way it is.

Chuck
          1957 Cadillac w/1947 Scott-Atwater 473
          1965 Alpex w/1964 West-Bend 45
          1977 Thunderbird w/85HP Merc
          1964 Montgomery-Ward W/1978 Johnson 15

Comment

Good reminder

Chuck,

Good thoughts, you're absolutely right.

Just to clarify for everyone, our site security is not "low" or otherwise defective in any way, it is no different than other forums, public areas are public.

Tim

Comment

I actually think that it is a good thing to have the various search engines point people in our direction. We need to spread the word about these cool old boats!

Karl
              17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
              18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
              19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
              25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
              14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
              14' Stilleto

Comment

Working...
              X