Of beer and boats....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of beer and boats....

Some of you have met my longtime friends Paul and Jay on NWCBC outings. We get together a couple of times a year to go boating or hiking and have been known to hoist a hoppy beverage or two. While on what has become an annual October camping and hiking trip in the Teanaway Valley near Cle Elum we recently spent the evening around a campfire visiting about most of the problems known to man. Being a cold evening, the medicinal application of hoppy antifreeze has called for...
    Among the many topics was sailboats. Jay has access to a 27' older sailboat and we've enjoyed fine fall trips in the San Juans together. We, however, spoke of what fun it would be to have a small sailboat to use--and Jay mentioned that he always has liked the 12' pram type/bowsprit equipped Pelican class of boats. There is even a beach on Cypress Island named Pelican beach after this very class of small boats! One of us mentioned that "we should go in on one sometime". Then we moved onto other vital topics...(can you see it coming...???) and had a great hike up the end of the valley into the Mt.Stuart area. It was a perfect fall weekend!
    3 days later I received an email with the subject "Our New Boat". Most surprisingly to me, Jay can be very efficient when given a mission! He had located and purchased a very fine Pelican for very little money! We now have a relatively minor project of "freshening up" this cute old boat to use soon. Apparently there is a very active Pelican group in the Seattle area that has Saturday races on Lake Ballinger and an annual camping trip to Pelican Beach on Cypress Island. Maybe this will be so fun we will each need a boat!
    Raise a glass to friendship and joint ownership! (We tried to tell our wives that the other guy bought the boat--but that story did not hold up long...)
    -Ken
    Attached Files

Nice boat

By any chance were you enjoying Full Sail Ale. john

Comment

Hey Ken,
      Looks like it could double as a Drifboat on the Rivers!

TimM
      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
      SeaRay 175BR
      Hi-Laker lapline
      14` Trailorboat

Comment

By any chance were you enjoying Full Sail Ale. john
        Or perhaps Scuttlebut IPA?
        John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
        Past Affairs:
        '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

pyramid scheme...

Cool sailboat guys, as you noted-joint ownership/scapegoat has some advantages... until the new Commodore steals your trailer light adapter and all the safety equipment aboard. Keeping you drydocked on a beautiful Fall day.

But I digress, sail power is the best in the right conditions. I have a 1963 Flying Junior 14' race boat that could be prepared for the NW Classic Boat Club "2-strokeless" Regatta.

I bet others have a wind machine in their armada??
          Attached Files

Comment

[quote="slo-mo, post: 14306"]Cool sailboat guys, as you noted-joint ownership/scapegoat has some advantages... until the new Commodore steals your trailer light adapter and all the safety equipment aboard. Keeping you drydocked on a beautiful Fall day.
            [QUOTE]

Not only was that MY adapter, but I bought you a new one to replace the one you lost, just so I didn't have to hear about it anymore! jibberjabber

Now apologize to Ken for hijacking his thread and move on ... geeezzz ...

Ken, you might want to think twice before entering into joint boat ownership!

Comment

with friends like these...

Originally posted by Tim McCrain, post: 14308
              Ken, you might want to think twice before entering into joint boat ownership!

Ditto!

Boat for sale soon...

Now back to your regularly scheduled program---Restoring a beautiful old sailboat with Ken, and his soon to be former, long time buddies. :computers1:opcorn1:

Comment

[quote="slo-mo, post: 14309"]

Ditto!

Boat for sale soon...Refresh my memory, is that the Bryant ?

Comment

Yes Dave, co-purchasing the Bryant seemed like a great solution...@ the time. Screwy1 that was until the New Commodore became power madMegaphone1

Please keep us apprised of any milestones with your Pelican, Ken.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by slo-mo, post: 14356
                    Yes Dave, co-purchasing the Bryant seemed like a great solution...@ the time. Screwy1 that was until the New Commodore became power madMegaphone1

Please keep us apprised of any milestones with your Pelican, Ken.
                    You do realize that calling someone with a Homelite on their boat "power mad" is kind of an oxymoron, right? :snail1:

Comment

Working...
                    X