X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wa Coast

Marty,
    Great info and stories.
    We used to go Rod + reel Commercial fishing off of LaPush in our 15` SAFE boat in the early 90`s.
    We used to launch in the Hoh River Lagoon and blast thru the Surf.It was usually 5`-10 feet and went North and South as far as you could see.
    We did follow huge 28` Alum Jet boat that provivded insurance.Of course ,I only ran a single 70 hp with no spare motor then.....now I don`t do any boating without one,having pushed my luck as far as one should ever do.
    The Jet boat owner used to dive out there on calm days and noted the 30` boulders would get moved during larger storms,sometimes a half a mile!
    During the calmer days,rocks would poke out briefly once or twice as a lower swell would pass,but NOT show themselves the rest of the day.
    We also used to take cover in a small creek we could surf into at certain tides.Fishboats used to weather storms for a day or too in the Goodman Creek lagoon that is shown on most charts.It may have been 20 wide and only 1.5` deep at the entrance......and had a huge Pinnacle to navigate around as you enter/exit the Ocean Swell.
    You usually get to surf ,then pivot as the next wave passes from the side.
    My buddy once hit a sandbar entering the Hoh River and had only a 77 year old relative with him.He went to drop off the bow with 100 yards of line/ chain and come-a-long to go to shore and pull his boat thru.....only he fell right into the channel and was 8` under! In RAINGEAR!
    Took him only a minute to drop the weight he was holding.
    My palms get wet and sweaty just seeing the Lapush tower Cam.
    TimM
    ps The Hydr steering is super smooth but does usually result in more overall turns lock to lock.A smaller helm that turns slower for the upper helm will keep you from oversteering while up on the bridge.The Resevoirs also offer more capacity which adds leverage to the system....meaning easier turning.Bet you could use a SS ball socket (on rudder quadrant) and quick connect tied to a mechanical helm /Cable hidden in a Gunnel either for emergency or docking.......A hinged box could swing up and be propped in place when needed.Dreaming out loud again......
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

OR coast

Look at the Nehalem River. The bar is rough and OH! My! most times but you can run up river 5 to 10 miles. Good fishing and just riding. If you launch at the 101 Bridge you can run down to the mouth about 5 miles or so and up until you run out of water. YOu can stop at the Nehalem city dock right down town and shop and eat dinner.

Another is Florence, OR. You can put in there and motor to the bar and up the river quite aways.

At Pacific City they launch Dorys right out in the surf. they are special flat bottomed boats. there is quite a fishery out there cool to watch.

Crossing the bar at any time is rather dicy and every so often experienced captains get into trouble.

Flat bar can be breaking in 5 minutes or less.

Howard
      60 G3 Merc 700
      and other assorted floating stuff!!

Comment

This happened along the north end of the California coast during this past 4th of July weekend. And one would think conditions in July are better than most months of the year. Ha!

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...ate&id=7536880
        Ed & Lindsey
        Sacramento, CA
        1977 Bayliner Victoria "Astral Blue"
        Walnut Grove Marina

Comment

Mojo departing Morrow Bay

Here's the famous picture of George C. Scott's 70' chartered yacht Mojo departing Morrow Bay. The boat suffered extensive damage to the wheel house, electronics and superstructure. No injuries reported. From 1978. Looks like a Bar Tender heading out behind....

McSKagit
          Attached Files
          Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Oregon Coast boating

There is a reason that the Coast Guard has their small boat handing school (surf boats) on the Oregon/Washington Pacific coast. If they can learn to handle the Pacific surf the Coasties can handle anything in the rest of the world!!!

Comment

I used to work next to George Calkins. During lunch when I was alone at the shop, I would pester George for stories about his years running and building boats.

George was the designer and builder of the Bartender boats that the Coast Guard used on at least both coast lines.
              I can't remember what river he lived on in Oregon (my home state) but Marty knows.
              Before the Jettys, he would launch out of the river into the ocean.
              Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Willipa Bay

Good area to explore is Willipa Bay. Several launch ramps. Shoal area, so have to go slow. Chartlet attached....

Haven't cruised there myself, but would like to... Saratogan probably too deep to go anywhere except the main channels. My late brother's home is in South Bend...
                Attached Files
                Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

No reason for fear or what are they thinking?

That boat (Mojo) should not have been there at that time, waves come in and you watch them and head out during a lull in the set. It's a matter of timing usually there are a number of small swells then 3 large ones, you watch and count them. When you have the pattern figured out, then you head out when the last big wave crests and breaks. You just hope you have the count right and the pattern holds.
                  1956 Enduracraft Monterey
                  1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                  1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

to boldly go where...

This is the reason I am here guys. To learn from other's experience and hearing of some great adventures at the same time. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Oregon Coast boating

Hi Marty,
                      The bar at Newport is probably the best bet for crossing. It's always a crapshoot anywhere along the coast if you are crossing the bar. Coast Guard post lots of into and you can always call for bar conditions all along the coast. My experience in the past 8 yrs. The ocean is always rought in the afternoon!! I mean nasty. Period. And I've been out a lot in 26ft lumi's with twin 250's and wishing it was bigger!
                      That being said, you can sneak out almost anywhere on a calm morning (if its not so foggy you can't see anything). My question is why? Puget Sound is the most beautiful salt in the world in my opinion. I'd love to have the san juans at my doorstep. Crabbing is superior in our ocean (12 per person per day) but fishing is hard and rough. 25miles out for halibut and 500 ft deep plus. Electric reels a must. Get the picture?
                      Coos Bay also has a good bar on some days and has some good rockfish reefs close. And good clam digging for Empire clams. (too funny, we called them horse clams when I grew up in Everett) Shoot me an email if you want more info. I'm pretty up to speed. Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X