Holy Crap! .....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Crap! .....

What a trip these guys are taking ! They are bring a boat up from Newport Beach California to Oak Harbor.Chuck

http://www.whidbey.us/holy-crap-trip/
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Holy Crap!!

Thanks Chuck for the link. 40 gallons per hour fuel consumption! Holy Crap!

Thanks,

Tim
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Sounds like fun!!!

When do we do this odessy in our runabouts???

:boater1:
      Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
      1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

The best description of sailing off the California coast is "Two Years Before the Mast". Treacherous unpredictable weather in all seasons. Quite a yarn.
        Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
        Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Holy Crap!..

Wondering how I didn't take the time to respond to a thread named "Holy Crap" until now?

Previous to reading Marty's post about navigating the Oregon Coast in a small boat. I never considered the difficulties of leaving the Salish Sea's friendly confines in any vessel short of a Crabber. It is very interesting reading of the logistics to move a comparatively huge-45' yacht up the coast. Reconciling the differences between filling the 18 gallon tank of our GlastronJet, with the 475 gallon capacity of this beast makes my mind hurt. As McSkagit noted, 40 gph! will guarantee that owning a yacht will never be on my bucket list...

Thanks for posting Chuck, we'll keep an eye on progress after their transmission troubles are fixed. Got a real kick out of Dando's book description of "Two Years Before the Mast" as, "quite a yarn". I've got to work that phrase into my daily vocabulary.

Comment

Thanx for posting Chuck,
            Quite an adventure moving one just on land ,let alone all the way from Cal. on the water.
            I painted a 50` Tri-Maran a couple years back and the owner moved to San Diego and had a friend of mine move it for her.
            The boat had never left the dock in 5 years andshe had to remove and fill a U-haul with her Book collection that totalled 2-3 Tons.
            The Boat had basically a Condo built onto the rear cockpit and the windows had no seals at all when I removed and replaced a bunch of rotten wood on the flat roof.
            When my buddy called from Cal after making it,he said he had a video to show me of the conditions.As they rounded Neah Bay in following seas,they had the rear windows almost 2` under green water.3rd window from the back was 6`` under!
            He said my window seals didn`t even leak!
            The stubby hull almost traded ends several times as they were stuffed into waves with seas pushing them from below and behind.
            Then they dropped the rudder (or sheared the keyway) for it meaning NO steering.:shocked4:
            They fixed that then were near Coos Bay when they had some heavy boxes of tools FALL THRU the bottom as they fell off some bigger waves.:surprised1:
            With no weight inside the hull ,the ocean pushed the bottom back into place but they were sinking as they scrambled to the harbor.
            They got hauled out before it went down and my buddy did a patch job to solve the major issue.
            Then they set sail and made it all the way to her new slip in So Cal.
            Offshore stuff really is do-able but bring your Duct Tape ,Tools and Luck.
            Safety gear is mandatory!
            Sanity optional.
            Tim M
            Attached Files
            unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
            15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
            SeaRay 175BR
            Hi-Laker lapline
            14` Trailorboat

Comment

Quite a yarn...

Originally posted by Tim_Mattson, post: 15011
              They fixed that then were near Coos Bay when they had some heavy boxes of tools FALL THRU the bottom as they fell off some bigger waves.:surprised1:
              Safety gear is mandatory!
              Sanity optional.
              That is one heck of a trap door, Tim!..and some luck.opcorn1:

Holy Crap!

Comment

Working...
              X